Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,719,897 times

Advertisements

There are people who only want to buy quality food, and there are people who will buy cheap junk. I'm in the latter category. But, some of those on food stamps may only want to buy more natural foods, which cost more, rather than stuff laden with chemicals and preservatives. That's their right, I suppose. I don't do it, but they have the right to buy what they want.

I rarely buy fresh produce or meat--because I can't afford to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Oh please!
According to you, we should all quit our jobs and get in the food stamp line because we deserve it too! It is OUR money too!
"Too" is the operative term. Make up your mind, it is either YOUR money, or your money "too".

I could care less what you do, I'm not on welfare and I can eat lobster if I want to. I won't begrudge someone a nice meal once a month if they are struggling. I don't believe in punishing the poor or stripping them of their dignity as some of you seem to rejoice in doing.

If I ever found myself on public assistance, I wouldn't think twice about buying what I darned well pleased. Like everyone else on a budget, I would be the one starving if I didn't spend it wisely. I would think that should please you food stamp nazis plenty, but I'm sure that wouldn't be enough. Misery loves company.

Quote:
Lets all go out and take advantage of real poor people so the scammers can eat lobster! How about knocking off with the junk food and making a pot of soup?? Homemade bread? Beef Stew? Nutritious casseroles? Noooo, they want lobster to mess everything up for the true poor people.
Now this is just stupid. Are you saying all people on welfare aren't really poor? And how does what these people cook mess things up for you? I would LOVE to know.

If you were able to read, you would see that I acknowledged that fraud does exist. You cannot lump everyone on welfare in with those who scam the system. Well, you can, it's a free country. Just not for those on welfare, right?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Only with the cash part but not with the food stamps. They are now put on the same card if you also get cash benefits.

I think that most of the people on food stamps really need it but about 10% don't. Those are the ones that can purchase more expensive things because they won't starve at the end of the month.
Yes that is exactly how it works now. I can't speak for how it worked before since I never worked as a cashier before

Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
LoL, abuses do happen. Those scum hurt everyone involved. 20 people's behavior doesn't mean that every single one of the 34 million people on food assistance is a slavering scammer just waiting for their chance. Till then, they just dine on lobster and fillet mignon while laughing at the average working man!

I would say certainly more then 20 people kill each other a year with guns, and since that section abuses that to harm others...does that mean everyone who uses them responsibly should be thought of as killers? No, but cranks like to take small numbers of bad behaviors to push their agenda with anecdotal evidence.

I love these post, it's like again and again people blame the poor for existing (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100215_In_hard_times__Americans_blame_the_poor.h tml#axzz0q8KSyhyC - broken link)..."Last month, Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer of South Carolina said that when the government helps the poor, it's like people feeding stray animals that continually "breed.""

This I very much agree with. I have a couple of customers that I not fill rx's for on medicaid that totally fry me but also EBT. I just have to focus myself and remember on occasion that I wouldn't want to take this away from the many people that need it because of a few that do abuse it. People do use things like this to whip themselves into a frenzy and scapegoat the poor or anybody else for that matter

Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Food stamps are another reason for the obesity rates we see in this country. People are living it up on high priced steaks and lobster and of course the butter to dip their food stamp lobster into. Then they down twinkie bars and bon-bons or the most expensive cakes and ice creams for dessert. Food stamps are a big reason Medicaid costs are so outrageous. Years of high living and big eating on food stamps leads to all the obesity related diseases and hospital stays.
You do make a good point. It is not uncommon for food stamp people to buy HUGE quantities of very unhealthy foods and also be very very overweight. A very large number of them are also covered by Medicaid as well and since I work in a pharmacy as a tech I am also educated in this as well. This is why I do like the WIC prorgram even though it is a major PAIN as a cashier The WIC program has only healthy food which is very refreshing from all the over processed foods that food stamps cover.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,661,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"Too" is the operative term. Make up your mind, it is either YOUR money, or your money "too".

I could care less what you do, I'm not on welfare and I can eat lobster if I want to. I won't begrudge someone a nice meal once a month if they are struggling. I don't believe in punishing the poor or stripping them of their dignity as some of you seem to rejoice in doing.

If I ever found myself on public assistance, I wouldn't think twice about buying what I darned well pleased. Like everyone else on a budget, I would be the one starving if I didn't spend it wisely. I would think that should please you food stamp nazis plenty, but I'm sure that wouldn't be enough. Misery loves company.

Now this is just stupid. Are you saying all people on welfare aren't really poor? And how does what these people cook mess things up for you? I would LOVE to know.

If you were able to read, you would see that I acknowledged that fraud does exist. You cannot lump everyone on welfare in with those who scam the system. Well, you can, it's a free country. Just not for those on welfare, right?
You want to know?
Okay, I'll tell you.
It shows me that they aren't really poor!
If they were, they would be watching there food stamps so they can make it until the end of the month like NORMAL paying, poor people do.
If they want to scam, its their problem but to tell you the truth, most of us don't.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,367,740 times
again, I worked in a supermarket for years and don't recall seeing all these lobster buying, Kobe beef eating, EBT card carrying welfare fraudsters that people here seem to think are rampant. and I used to work at Whole Foods, and even there, people who shopped w/ food stamps didn't buy truly extravagant stuff. of course, I'm sure people here will complain that these folks "dare" shop at Whole Foods anyways. in my store's case, it was the closest supermarket to a housing complex. also, there are some people on food stamps w/ food allergies that found it easier to shop at Whole Foods than in a regular store. people complain about the people that good quality foods w/ food stamps and people complain when people buy junk food w/ food stamps.

I don't understand threads like these. on the one hand, everyone is whining about "their" money going towards other people's food stamps. but guess what? MANY people on food stamps work and pay taxes too, so it's just as much as their money as it is yours

regardless, you won't see a decrease in your taxes if people on food stamps all just happened to buy cheap food or got off the program all together. if the entire program ceased to exist, the gov't would just likely dump the money into something else like the war or highways. complaining about money you never really had and will never see and how that money is used is an exercise in futility.

folks, learn to live and let live. glaring at the person paying w/ a EBT card at the grocery store isn't going to make your life any better

Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
You want to know? Okay, I'll tell you.
It shows me that they aren't really poor!
Well, if you say so it must be true.

Quote:
If they were, they would be watching there food stamps so they can make it until the end of the month like NORMAL paying, poor people do.
If they want to scam, its their problem but to tell you the truth, most of us don't.
Who is "us"?

Now "NORMAL paying poor people" budget. Puleeeeze. But keep on keepin' on with the silliness. It is quite entertaining when people make total fools of themselves with conviction.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,868,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
You don't have to eat lobster with butter. What is your solution for older people? No expensive food for them every again????? That is cruel and sounds like you are demonizing the poor.
No one is trying to demonize the poor. If the poor are comfortable in their situation and can afford lobster, then where is the incentive for them to get off government assistance? I have never been able to afford lobster and I have never been on food stamps. If I were on food stamps, I would be embarrassed to buy lobster using an EBT card.

There are options for cheap, healthy food. You can buy brown rice, broccoli, beans, oranges are frequently on sale, eggs, tilapia, even shimp is cheaper than lobster. I just bought a pound of bananas for $1.00. One can make cheap healthy food taste good if they have a few good recipes.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,087,064 times
It sounds like a lot of people in this thread are just mad, because they are not making enough money for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies