Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 AM

18 posts, read 55,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hmmm....Sometimes it's not the "school" that's the problem.

I am generally a defender of Port St. Lucie schools. I went to PSL public schools from Second grade through high school, and do more than fine for myself. Things may be different now, but I can't imagine much more so. The state grades the St. Lucie County school district as a "B" overall, which is not bad considering the "overall" grade includes a lot of Ft. Pierce schools where the students do not test well due to socioeconomic considerations better suited for a different thread.

I would suggest anyone looking into public schools visit the "Great Schools" website: Port St. Lucie Elementary Schools

If your kid is stupid, they're going to be stupid even in a "good" school. If your kid is smart, they will go far in any school, and no parent should rely on the "school" for your child's educational upbringing anyway.
This statement Could be the dumbest i have ever heard.
"no parent should rely on the "school" for your child's educational upbringing anyway"

If teachers do not teach how do you learn? Is this something YOU learned in this " great" school? I think it speaks for itself. If it's not the schools job to educate then who does the job belong to ? Go apply for a job with a degree from you're community College, and then let the next guy from Harvard apply, Who do you think is getting the job, If the school does not matter?
"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arw2009 View Post
This statement Could be the dumbest i have ever heard.
"no parent should rely on the "school" for your child's educational upbringing anyway"

It is incumbent upon YOU, as the PARENT, to ensure that your child is learning at their school, and to take an active role in their education. I put more blame on the composition of a student body for the failure of a school than anything that has to do with the school in and of itself.

Good teachers are often paired with a bad class of kids that come from homes where the parents do not care, do not contribute, and do not push their kids to study. I'd say that's a lot more common than having a good kid stuck with a bad teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw2009
If teachers do not teach how do you learn? Is this something YOU learned in this " great" school? I think it speaks for itself.
Cheap shots will get you nowhere. I guarantee my educational attainment has far surpassed yours. Your horrid grammar and sentence structure betrays any pretensions otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw2009
If it's not the schools job to educate then who does the job belong to ? Go apply for a job with a degree from you're community College, and then let the next guy from Harvard apply, Who do you think is getting the job, If the school does not matter?"
Why are you bringing Harvard into a discussion of primary education public school systems?

Harvard students typically do not compete with Community College students for the same jobs. You're right though. Schools matter. Whether or not your child learns at any school, however, is largely dependent on a) the particular student, and b) the parent.

A dummy that gets into Harvard because of legacy, for example, will not perform well, no matter how renown or respected his professors.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM

18 posts, read 14,542 times
Default Get up and Really Look

I have lived all over the country from way north to way south. I have found from 58 years of experience that if you are willing to work and have mouths to feed, jobs can be had anywhere. Too many people feel that they are to good to do certain jobs. I have done everything from shovel sht# to Network admin. I worked service sector jobs and put myself through college. Quite complaining and try to focus on a goal, and you would be amazed what doors will open! We visited PSL and loved it. We hope to move there in four month in preparation for retirement!

Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1ray View Post
I have lived all over the country from way north to way south. I have found from 58 years of experience that if you are willing to work and have mouths to feed, jobs can be had anywhere. Too many people feel that they are to good to do certain jobs. I have done everything from shovel sht# to Network admin. I worked service sector jobs and put myself through college. Quite complaining and try to focus on a goal, and you would be amazed what doors will open! We visited PSL and loved it. We hope to move there in four month in preparation for retirement!
Is PSL a retirement or pre-retirement area?

Old 07-31-2019, 01:58 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,302 times
I retired here, its great !

Old 07-31-2019, 02:44 PM

138 posts, read 243,986 times
Resurrected an oldie here...I’d say it’s a mix of both, plenty of young families here.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,894 times
But no young professionals and a singles dating scene?

Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
if you are a young professional from California I would think Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens would be more your style.

PSL is not "rural" as you asked at one time, but we are not like being in Jupiter either.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:20 AM

18 posts, read 14,542 times
No area is ever perfect. We have been there several times and decided to sell everything, quit our jobs and just move. We purchased a beautiful rancher next to St. Lucie West, and move in ten days. What I have found in my short 57 years of life is that home is what you make of it. It takes far more energy to complain that make it what you want. Just remember if life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!

Old 01-07-2020, 03:06 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,302 times
Welcome ! Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach