Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, seems to be a common trend with this poster, which is a shame because I was honestly interested where their information came from and was looking forward to having a real discussion on this topic, but it seems the poster just wishes to resort to random antics when cornered with a question.
Exactly! If I was wrong about my figures, I want to be corrected. I am certainly far from being a Portland apologists, but the city doesn't need help to be worse then it already is. If it's even more then a ^&@!#^%&hole then I think it is, then I'd like to actually know that.

But I have never been able to correlate what is being said in this forum, especially in relation to crime stats, with what is actually being reported. And I have a REALLY hard time believing that even the Oregonian would be skipping murders and gang related incidents. Willamette Week and Portland Tribune I could see doing that, but the Oregonian panders to the "it was better back in the old days," crowd too much to not do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM

347 posts, read 669,570 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

Very relevant to the current topic.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp

(crickets)

Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp

(crickets)
Not so much crickets as your intentional atempt to start an argument indicated. More like the thread has run it's course.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Not so much crickets as your intentional atempt to start an argument indicated. More like the thread has run it's course.
Of course it did, you failed to provide any links to back up your wild claims, thus it was only a one sided forum.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
No, Steve.

We all just find it very interesting that when you can't prove your "facts", you either abandon the thread, or say it has "run it's course", or beat around the bush some more, or try to get the last word in somehow...
But still, your opinion, because that's what it is, has not been substantiated.

By your fine example, I can say anything I want about anyone or anything, my word should be taken as absolute gospel, and I don't have to prove any of it.
I don't think that's how it works there, buddy!

So once more, where did you get your facts about shootings in Portland?
That's been asked now about a dozen times!

Either man up and admit that it's your opinion, or present us with the facts that you used to draw your conclusion.
It's that simple!

Then the thread will have "run it's course".

BTW, "attempt" has more than one T in it.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-23-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM

When you start repeating the same Ol' Mantra, its run it's course.

I stated my facts. You accept them or you don't, I also told you prove me wrong if you think my facts are incorrect. You have not done that. As I said do your own research. If you chose not to, fine, but ranting the same spiel over and over just makes you sound like a fool or a spoiled brat.

It is maybe time to close this thread as all a couple of you want to do is argue.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 PM

See what I mean?
Beating around the bush again.

By your fine example, I can say anything I want about anyone or anything, my word should be taken as absolute gospel, and I don't have to prove any of it.

I may sound like a fool or a spoiled brat to you, but to everyone else, you are sounding like a pompous know it all blowhard.
I'm done.
Looks like this one is a draw, since we've tried and can't find any evidence to corroborate your statement, and you won't provide any.

BTW, this is the definition of the word "fact" from Wikipedia:
A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case.
The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is whether it can be proven to correspond to experience.
Standard reference works are often used to check facts.
Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments.

For the last time, with all due respect, either man up and admit that it's your opinion, or present us (verify) the supposed facts that you used to draw your conclusion.

To be honest, I think the reason you won't, is because you can't.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-23-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
When you start repeating the same Ol' Mantra, its run it's course.

I stated my facts. You accept them or you don't, I also told you prove me wrong if you think my facts are incorrect. You have not done that. As I said do your own research. If you chose not to, fine, but ranting the same spiel over and over just makes you sound like a fool or a spoiled brat.

It is maybe time to close this thread as all a couple of you want to do is argue.
You never stated any facts, you just stated your opinion and called them "my facts" isn't the same as presenting actual facts. Until you actually present real facts, you comments are nothing more than opinion, thus nothing to be proven wrong because they are just opinions.

Let me know when you find a link that backs up your wild claims.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 PM

So do you have information to the contrary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland