Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times

Advertisements

This final scene from the movie filmed in Oregon, especially in and around Brownsville, explains part of the friend problem: Stand By Me - Friends come in and out of your life.avi - YouTube

Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM

222 posts, read 470,703 times
I have a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner with a sweet 440 Super Commando that was my first car, handed down to me by my dad. When I hop in it and head out anywhere I have instant friends. If you ever see me driving up and down I-84 slightly over the speed limit, please don't call the cops.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
Compared to the East Coast, Mid-West, California, and South, the PNW is not a welcoming culture. It's similar to Finland in the overall shyness. In most parts of the country NO ONE CARES WHERE YOU ARE FROM. I'm a native Oregonian and always laugh when I go back and visit and encounter the attitude of native versus non-native. WHO CARES? The answer- Oregonians who have never left the state and use it as an excuse to be unfriendly.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Shyness is not unwelcoming. Shyness is not unfriendly. Shyness is not a "native vs. non-native" attitude.

So what. Are Oregonians not supposed to ask where someone is from. But if they don't ask, they're snobbish and unfriendly? Bottom line ... you just can't win with some people.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
At least now you live in a place where you're not considered weird.

I'm a lot like you, and when I lived in areas where I was surrounded by more extroverts, I often felt left out and wondering what was wrong with me. Living here, I realize there's never been anything wrong with my introversion.
I never thought about it that way. Granted though, because I'm "young", everyone has wondered why I chose LO, because you know, they expected me to 1. live in the Pearl (should 'the' be capitalized?), 2. get out to pubs/coffee houses almost every weekend, 3. or festivals, 4. get out every weekend. I've been asked this a lot from people I know and don't know. Obviously no one really knows me.

I feel like I'm letting them down when I tell them I haven't really gone out at all. But I'm enjoying it. I think I'd like to get out and take pictures of this beautiful place. But that would mean leaving my apartment. LOL.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
How about joining a photography club, then. It's a good prompting to get yourself out, and take some photos. There are three in Portland listed on this page. One of them even in your neighborhood.

It's a good way to get out in the woods for some photography, not all by yourself.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
How about joining a photography club, then. It's a good prompting to get yourself out, and take some photos. There are three in Portland listed on this page. One of them even in your neighborhood.

It's a good way to get out in the woods for some photography, not all by yourself.
I didn't think about looking for specific clubs. I looked at some meetup groups for photography, golf, and dog related, but that was about it. I'll check out the clubs.

One issue I'm having right now....is that I want to be alone.
I know I'm wasting away the beautiful weather though. It's why I feel like I should get out.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,416 times
Nothing wrong with wanting to be alone! It is certainly a beautiful place to enjoy your solitude. Maybe this is why there is a tradition of great writers here.

Before I had kids, I used to have a lot of time to enjoy this... now, not so much.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I didn't think about looking for specific clubs. I looked at some meetup groups for photography, golf, and dog related, but that was about it. I'll check out the clubs.

One issue I'm having right now....is that I want to be alone.
I know I'm wasting away the beautiful weather though. It's why I feel like I should get out.
Hey, if you want to be alone right now, don't beat yourself up about it! On the other hand, with this great weather, grabbing a water bottle and heading over to Tryon Creek State Park is never a bad idea.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM

35 posts, read 55,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
First off, who said the females I had over were white? You seem to be assuming things based on the fact that I'm an African American male living in Portland. Also, most of the small percentage of black men in Portland were born here so I don't understand your assertion that they came here to "hit on white women," I came to Portland because I attend grad school at PSU not to hit on any woman so that assertion was really ridiculous. I would be kind of ridiculous to travel 2,000 miles just to hit on white women when Chicago is full of white women, don't you think? You're either a jealous white man or a disgruntled black woman that's the only conclusion I can draw at this point.
Awesome dude, just an outstanding come back :-) I'm a white dude living in Salt Lake City Utah. I may have to move to Portland for work. Didn't want to know racisim like the other guys post still existed, (or perhaps I didn't want to know). Your post pleased me greatly :-) I can't stand people that hate for stupid reasons like race. The other guy to whom you responded to needs to wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland