U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2015, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,802 posts, read 7,750,055 times
Reputation: 4503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe, the mayor is a weak mayoral position, it requires the city council as a whole to basically function as a mayor. Though while you might disagree, we have had past councils that have made amazing strides for the city, and there will be more councils that also make amazing strides for the city......though it probably won't be in the form of the right wing paradise you are hoping for.

 
Old 09-26-2015, 01:23 AM
 
149 posts, read 133,933 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So basically we should make being homeless illegal, anyone who is homeless is now a criminal that will be rounded up and taken to concentration camps outside of the city......not sure this is the best solution with dealing with the homelessness in Portland....
We can either do that or continue using the "occupy-mindset-method" of "I just show up, pitch my tent, and claim other people's property as now being mine."
 
Old 09-26-2015, 01:39 AM
 
148 posts, read 148,501 times
Reputation: 192
not attacking the transplants, I'm just pointing out it doesn't bother me, homeless people are just a byproduct of American capitalism and they love Portland just like I do. At least they don't have to worry about freezing to death here.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,050 posts, read 30,309,117 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
We can either do that or continue using the "occupy-mindset-method" of "I just show up, pitch my tent, and claim other people's property as now being mine."
Actually it doesn't really work that way, there are very specific rules they do have to follow by. The thing is, those that are homeless know those rules very well which makes it easier for them to do what they are doing. The issue I have with what you posted is that being homeless shouldn't be a crime, and making sleeping outside illegal just simply moves the problem when people are found sleeping outside. That isn't a solution, and to be honest, there will always be homelessness.

The key to treating homelessness is to limit the number of those that are homeless because there are always going to be people who are voluntarily homeless which includes those that are drug addicts that have no interest in getting treatment.

Going to concentration camps as a solution is a horrible idea because the extreme of that leads to what happened in Nazi Germany as well as here when we and they thought concentration camps were a good idea to a problem.

Homelessness is a complex issue to deal with, and there is not one simple solution that will fix anything. We do need to invest more in halfway housing that gets people off the street and into housing and treatment that puts them into a community like setting for them to get back on their feet. Homelessness should not be treated like a criminal act, it should be treated as a sickness because one has to be mentally ill in one shape or form to willingly be homeless.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:18 AM
 
149 posts, read 133,933 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually it doesn't really work that way, there are very specific rules they do have to follow by. The thing is, those that are homeless know those rules very well which makes it easier for them to do what they are doing. The issue I have with what you posted is that being homeless shouldn't be a crime, and making sleeping outside illegal just simply moves the problem when people are found sleeping outside. That isn't a solution, and to be honest, there will always be homelessness.

The key to treating homelessness is to limit the number of those that are homeless because there are always going to be people who are voluntarily homeless which includes those that are drug addicts that have no interest in getting treatment.

Going to concentration camps as a solution is a horrible idea because the extreme of that leads to what happened in Nazi Germany as well as here when we and they thought concentration camps were a good idea to a problem.

Homelessness is a complex issue to deal with, and there is not one simple solution that will fix anything. We do need to invest more in halfway housing that gets people off the street and into housing and treatment that puts them into a community like setting for them to get back on their feet. Homelessness should not be treated like a criminal act, it should be treated as a sickness because one has to be mentally ill in one shape or form to willingly be homeless.
Funny that you should mention drug addicts because I just finished taking my dog out for it's final bathroom trip of the day, and there was one of the endless-stream of strange folks outside on the sidewalk below my pricey Portland apartment, and he asked me: "do you know where I can bag some crystal?"

I'm not a druggie for anything more than marijuana, and I don't profess to know the lingo, but I'm assuming that he means meth.

But Portlanders should feel free to work out their homeless crisis as they see fit, and in anyway the feel comfortable paying for. As for me, I'm self-deporting to where they criminalize homeless behavior, rather than reward it.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:24 AM
 
149 posts, read 133,933 times
Reputation: 104
"It is marketing the 281-unit project as a luxury "gated community," with 24-hour security to keep out the Pearl District riff-raff."

Amid apartment boom, here are five of Portland's most expensive | OregonLive.com

You can't make this stuff up.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 02:34 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,050 posts, read 30,309,117 times
Reputation: 7845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
Funny that you should mention drug addicts because I just finished taking my dog out for it's final bathroom trip of the day, and there was one of the endless-stream of strange folks outside on the sidewalk below my pricey Portland apartment, and he asked me: "do you know where I can bag some crystal?"

I'm not a druggie for anything more than marijuana, and I don't profess to know the lingo, but I'm assuming that he means meth.

But Portlanders should feel free to work out their homeless crisis as they see fit, and in anyway the feel comfortable paying for. As for me, I'm self-deporting to where they criminalize homeless behavior, rather than reward it.
Where in Portland are you having this issue? When I take my dog out for his late walk, I have never had strangers come up to me asking for any kind of drug.

We do not reward homelessness here, but we do not make being homeless a crime. That does nothing to solve the problem. Mind me asking where you are planning on moving to?
 
Old 09-26-2015, 07:57 AM
 
729 posts, read 418,177 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
I'm actually quite a liberal and all for "keeping Portland weird," but the folks running this place are just plain stupid and make real liberals look bad.

But in all fairness also, the hands of the folks running Portland are tied to a certain extent. When you don't have shelters for the legions of homeless that are showing up here, then the courts side with them and they get to camp or sleep on the sidewalks. The obvious is there's no bathrooms, so you can use your imagination on that.

Again on the negative side though, Portland does attract all the "occupy types" that make other people miserable with their social justice agenda. Try getting to a doctor's appointment with these folks shutting down your hood.

Don't Shoot PDX protesters block downtown traffic, face Lars Larson | OregonLive.com

One of the draws for me was Oregon's medical marijuana program, but that is now in the process of being gutted so they can try to put it under the recreational program and tax the heck out of it.

This lady wrote a nice letter to the editor that pretty much sums up the state of affairs.

Portland: The city that doesn't work (Letters to the Editor) | OregonLive.com

LOL! This should be marked as the post of the month.

"I'm actually quite a liberal and all for "keeping Portland weird," but the folks running this place are just plain stupid and make real liberals look bad."


The burbs doesn't have these issues. Come out and visit the land of strip malls and food chains
 
Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 AM
 
149 posts, read 133,933 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where in Portland are you having this issue? When I take my dog out for his late walk, I have never had strangers come up to me asking for any kind of drug.

We do not reward homelessness here, but we do not make being homeless a crime. That does nothing to solve the problem. Mind me asking where you are planning on moving to?
Ground zero. Charlieville. Downtown!

Where the homeless line up their sleeping bags each night under the bridges along the waterfront and in the park blocks.

And it's anything but some cool, hip, urban experience.

Somebody must have been snoring too loud Friday, because they stabbed another one.

Police investigate stabbing at Tom McCall Waterfront Park | OregonLive.com
 
Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
7,163 posts, read 12,842,551 times
Reputation: 9176
I can't imagine anyone visiting Portland, even those from much larger Metro's. Not wondering why the city and general area, has so many homeless and mentally ill wandering about. Even more so one has to wonder, why there seems to be a refusal to deal with it. It does have an impact on Portland, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. If you mention it to some locals in Portland, they become angry and defensive. Stating its not just Portland, its all big cities. That is true but the very large amount in Portland and the free for all, and tolerance they enjoy is a local thing. However its also a local thing, that tax payers pay for all this tolerance they enjoy. Both financially and emotionally. It obviously is accepted that life will be that way in Portland, or the issue would have been addressed and fixed decades ago.

It is a beautiful area and city but I think some people, can't live there because of such issues, and the refusal of the city to deal with it. I don't know if Portland is a Sanctuary city as is San Francisco, but these problems seem to be in full force in such cities.

You can't expect someone working a job, and paying for a place to live. To come home and have to crawl over homeless, and druggies to get into their home. Or every time they go to the Grocery store, there are people begging all along their approach to the entrance. Sitting on the Max train and put up with all that begging. Or want to go downtown, and deal with the outrageous extent of all this. It really is very disrespectful to people trying to live life in a productive manner, to tolerate this to the extent expected of them in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top