Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM

108 posts, read 395,770 times

Advertisements

When I had my first daughter in NE Oklahoma, my husband had just started a new job 2 months before I was due and his insurance didn't start until after 90 days. Our hospital bill for the delivery (which was completely normal) was around $3000 for myself, and $1000 for her. Luckily, his company paid for bills that were retroactive for the 3 months without insurance if he was still there on his insurance entrance date. Whew! That doesn't include the doctor's visits, which were around $200 or so each time if I remember right, but that was 4 years ago. Altogether I would estimate around $8000, but there is medicaid or something like that if you're pregnant. My sister had it in MO and she said that it paid for everything, including medical care for my nephew after he was born, but she only qualified while being pregnant. So that's something to think about, but it's income based.

And STAN4, the government is going to continue to make us pay taxes regardless of whether or not it goes for children's medical care, and I have no problem paying in my taxes to help care for someone's child or help some deserving couple start a family. I do have more of a problem of it going to something like road work when the roads still suck, and haven't seen a construction crew in 20 years....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 AM

108 posts, read 395,770 times
You know, the original question has completely gotten off topic, and now it's more on criticizing this or that person. No one knows each other's situation, and who really cares?? Taxes are taxes and it goes to whatever the government says it supposedly goes to. Nobody knows if it even REALLY goes there! When you decided to have a child, why, what you have, how much you make, etc. does not matter, get back to the original question of how much a birth costs and that's it!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,778,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Are your twins your current husband's children?
I fail to see how that is relevant, but yes, they are.
We moved to the US because the economy in Ireland is just as bad if not worse, and we feel Arkansas is a better place to bring up kids than Europe, both from a religious/ moral standpoint and because my husband has a brother and a sister living here and grew up here.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,234,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
I'm sorry, but if you are working class, pay for the insurance.
Cut off the cable, get rid of the cellphones, keep the car longer...
americans are lazy and irresponsible and expect the gov't to bail them out.

Thanks for the advice. Uuum, we don't have cable. One tv, black and white lol, I've NEVER had a cell phone. I use cloth diapers, I breastfeed, the car we have is reliable for both of our jobs AND for the baby.

When a job doesn't offer insurance it is tough.

Moderator cut: partial cut

Goodbye and goodluck

Last edited by jeannie216; 12-21-2008 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM

15,885 posts, read 21,495,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
How do we not EARN our return? And my baby is 9 months, this would be the first year to claim her?

Also, what kind of American/person in general doesn't believe that ALL children should have healthcare?????

All children should have healthcare. However, all parents who choose to have children when they obviously are in no financial position to do so should be chastised for their decision.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,289,977 times
Penguin, this is not directed at you.... I think you are doing the right thing by planning ahead. You asked a valid question, given your recent immigration. You have not had an oppritunity to learn our medical system.

However a child comes into this world, it is not by anything the child did to be concieved. As a parent, it is your responsibility to provide for your child. To get your self in a position of producing a child you KNOW you cannot care for is irresponsible. Yes.... there are unexpected events that can financially effect you.... that is what welfare/social services was created for. The system is overtaxed with people using it as their personal bankroll; not a safety net for those who have no other choice. I am well aware that insurance isn't cheap. I was a single mother making 26k a year and my ex did/does not pay court ordered child support. I have paid my son's insurance on my own. There were years he didn't have a doctor's visit... I still paid. I have taken second jobs to make ends meet. Yes, when my DH and I got married, our finances became easier with combined incomes. Not once during that time when I was the sole supporter of MY son did I partake of any social services other than the child support office. I could have put son on the state's insurance, but the state didn't make him, why should the state support him? Not once during that time did I even envision bringing another child into this world.... a child I couldn't afford. In my OPINION, if you plan to have a child while planning on having the taxpayers provide for your child you are no better than people who go on a shopping spree right before filing bankruptcy. Come on people.... take some responsibility for your actions!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,074,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
How do we not EARN our return? And my baby is 9 months, this would be the first year to claim her?

Also, what kind of American/person in general doesn't believe that ALL children should have health care?????

I don't think it is so much that Americans don't believe ALL children should have health care OR insurance. That responsibility belongs to their parents. Most Americans do believe it is NOT the state's responsibility to provide such insurance. If you worked, you earned your income tax return and your EIC. BUT. If you know you don't have insurance or the income to pay for a delivery (with unplanned complications) then you are being irresponsible in getting pregnant. The outcome of pregnancy is BIRTH. It is expensive.

I would think after Katrina most people would realize we cannot depend on anyone but ourselves to take care us and our children.

Self-sufficiency is the American way, not dependency.
If you can't take care of your child PLEASE do not create it. That is the definition of responsibility.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 11,194,614 times
Like I posted earlier in this thread - I have health insurance and still have to pay a big chunk.

Even with insurance - you're paying up the......

I have to have Ultrasounds every week because of my high risk status. Each one is not covered fully and I'm paying around 600 a piece.

The insurance will only cover so much too.

I was recently in the hospital for 5 days, my bill so far is 7k, which really doesn't seem bad, but it doesn't include the doctors I've seen, so I expect to see a higher bill.

This is all related to my pregnancy....I have no idea what my insurance will cover...( this isn't even the other 6k I am in debt for so far)

Again, I'm insured!!!!

I Feel like those who are insured are the ones who get screwed up the butt....

Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,058,855 times
Plan for ANYTHING.....
With my first child, all signs pointed to a very normal healthy uneventful pregnancy. Well, that changed quick! I ended up w/about everything going very wrong, and going on bedrest at 3months. Then, into the hospital for fully monitored bedrest at 6months, then, even w/them doing everything to stop it (gol, imagine the bills...) her heart stopped 2x and they had to do an emergency c-section at 27weeks. She then spent the next 3 months in a NICU. Surgeries and setbacks added to that time. I took her home at 3 months old and she spent the next year on an apnea/brady monitor and the next 10yrs in physical and occupational therapy.
Shes totally fine now btw, a very very typical onery 14yr old, but the point of writing out her little story was to say again "PREPARE FOR ANYTHING!!!!" What we thought would be a typical pregnancy sure turned out differently!!! And yeah, i DID do everything by the book. Sometimes these things do just happen.
Assuming nothing will happen could put you very much in debt for the rest of your life.
plan ahead, please.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,496,858 times
Y'all need to stop beating up on people who don't have medical insurance. The health insurance industry is an absolute racket. It will be the next industry to implode. It's the increasing number of people who don't have insurance who will force a change in this country. Health care should be a right. The health insurance companies have robbed folks blind - consumers, doctors, hospitals, our own government even. It's insane to expect a middle class family to pay $1,000/month for health care. It's extortion.

There's no reason in the world to judge people harshly for not having health insurance even if they are planning a baby. This country needs more babies! We need people! Today's babies are tomorrow's adults. People are good! Do we really want declining birth rates like what Europe is seeing? Remember the saying, There is no perfect time to have a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy