Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
And what's surprising to me is that it's only the second time that the Packers and Lions will play on Monday night and the last time that happened was in the 1970s and the last time ESPN aired a Lions Packer rivalry was 2005 when the Lions played the Packers in Lambeau.
No offense but this isn't rocket science nor strenuous to grasp. First, most games are played on Sunday thus odds are a factor. Monday Night Football games are scheduled with games that may appeal to a wide audience. I doubt many people would have been interested in a Lions v Packers match-up in the 80s. Lions didn't rise with the Packers despite a few good years in the 90s. Then, of course, comes the Millen era. No use in putting the Lions on MNF.

Things are changing. Lions are expected to compete for the NFC North. The past few seasons have produced memorable and exciting games as I've already mentioned.

Lions v Packers will be a fine addition to MNF this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:24 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
And what's surprising to me is that it's only the second time that the Packers and Lions will play on Monday night and the last time that happened was in the 1970s and the last time ESPN aired a Lions Packer rivalry was 2005 when the Lions played the Packers in Lambeau.
Correction, it is NOT the second time, it's actually the third time. The first time the Lions-Packers squared off on MNF was 1971.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 PM

Jarrad Davis ILB Florida

I was hoping for Peppers or Taco but I trust in Quinn. My NCAA football knowledge is scant and Michigan centric. Best to leave the big time decisions to Quinn. Lions fans with more NCAA knowledge are high on the pick.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Yale Lary passed away on May 12, 2017. He spent his entire Hall of Fame (Class of '79) career with the Lions, winning 3 NFL championships and made 9 trips to the Pro Bowl. He was a standout defensive back and special teams innovator.

Yale Lary, Detroit Lions Hall of Fame safety, dead at 86

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/5...y-passes-at-86

Old 05-13-2017, 04:48 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Yale Lary passed away on May 12, 2017. He spent his entire Hall of Fame (Class of '79) career with the Lions, winning 3 NFL championships and made 9 trips to the Pro Bowl. He was a standout defensive back and special teams innovator.

Yale Lary, Detroit Lions Hall of Fame safety, dead at 86

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/5...y-passes-at-86
I still go to card shows when I can. For a lot of card collectors collecting vintage Football cards from the 50's and 60's, the one card that always gets a smile from collectors is Yale Lary's cards. They'll say, "yep-classic flattop!" They'll also say tough D-back and the best punter in the NFL in his era. There is more!

I always hold in high regard the players who serve their country in between the years they are in the game. Lary was involved with Reserve Officers Training Corp while going to school at Texas A and M and later was a lieutenant in the Korean War years. He was stationed in Fort Benning in Georgia. He had been in the pro bowl a couple of times previous and when he served his hitch he got right back into the Detroit secondary and didn't miss a lick.

All told, he was a 9 time pro bowler and a 5 time NFL all pro. Between him, Dick "Night Train" Lane and Dick LeBeau, the Detroit Lions had the best secondary in the NFL in the 1950's without a doubt. All 3 of them are in the HOF for a reason. He also was the best punter in the NFL in his era, slightly below "Slingin" Sammy Baugh and slightly above NY Giant Don Chandler. The hang time on his punts were amongst the best of any punter in any era of the NFL.

There's more. In his college years at A&M he was offered a tidy amount by the St. Louis Cardinals baseball organization. He played minor league baseball for 3 seasons , then just settled in on football in 1958.

He had his future lined out when he finally retired from football. He served in the Texas House Of Representatives after retirement. After that he ran a successful car dealership and also an investment company. Met his future wife in 1952-stayed married to her for 64 years.

One of the great, great players in NFL history!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I still go to card shows when I can. For a lot of card collectors collecting vintage Football cards from the 50's and 60's, the one card that always gets a smile from collectors is Yale Lary's cards. They'll say, "yep-classic flattop!" They'll also say tough D-back and the best punter in the NFL in his era. There is more!
This reminded me of the Alex Karras card I picked up a few years ago at a card show (I believe '68 Topps). Then I realized I didn't know where it was. Tore my place apart with no luck. Now I am very frustrated. It's the one card I can't find. Found the Norm Cash and the classic Billy Martin giving the bird card but, alas, no Karras.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This reminded me of the Alex Karras card I picked up a few years ago at a card show (I believe '68 Topps). Then I realized I didn't know where it was. Tore my place apart with no luck. Now I am very frustrated. It's the one card I can't find. Found the Norm Cash and the classic Billy Martin giving the bird card but, alas, no Karras.

did you check your bike?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:18 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
did you check your bike?
Heh, I know what Ghengis means!

My Bill Mazeroski cards got the clothespin bicycle spoke treatment when he hit that home run in game 7 of the 1960 World Series, that was after I drew mustaches, a beard, and scribbled all over them with a ball point pin.

Back to Karras--I'm missing the Karras cards from the mid 1960's. The Philadelphia card company got involved with making cards in '64, I was living in Colorado Springs then and I couldn't find any store that sold them. It was nice spending 10 cents for a pack of them back then. Got back into collecting when the hobby took off in the early 80's, I have the Karras cards from '61 to '63. Those were from Topps. One that is pretty pricey is the 1962 Post set. I never did get a Karras card out of that set, I also wasn't very good at cutting the cards off the cereal boxes either. Argh!!

Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Love the card in the bike reference! I got in trouble with my dad for putting baseball cards in my bike spokes, never touched the cards again, and I wish I still had them!

Old 06-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Fudge.

Detroit Lions left tackle Taylor Decker has shoulder surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football