Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times

Advertisements

Saying he was trying to throw the game is over the top, but they didn't need a TD. They would have needed 2 more FGs. They could have had 2 of the 3 FGs with 2-3 minutes left. Then they could have driven down the field the final time and won 21-20. When the defenses are playing that well, you don't leave points on the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Saying he was trying to throw the game is over the top, but they didn't need a TD. They would have needed 2 more FGs. They could have had 2 of the 3 FGs with 2-3 minutes left. Then they could have driven down the field the final time and won 21-20. When the defenses are playing that well, you don't leave points on the field.
you are saying they would've gotten 3 field goals in 6 minutes???

For that to happen, ALOT of things would have to happen right.

I could see the argument for a FG w/6 minutes left, but they would definitely be going for a touchdown after that....

Gostkowski really hurt them this game....who knew?

Old 01-25-2016, 11:28 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Maybe Manning would have gone down the field, or at least chewed up the clock, if he'd had to. But they forced a 3 and out out of Denver. Twice. I think they had 3 timeouts plus the 2 minute warning as well. Remember that Denver's offense did very little in the 2nd half.

Also, to get to the 35-38 for a chance at a long game-winning field goal, you don't need a full 2 minutes to work with. Get the ball back with 30-40 seconds left and you at least have a chance.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its very easy now to second guess taking the FG with 6 minutes left.

I firmly was in Belicheck's camp by his decision. Yes, you could've gotten the FG, but you still would need to get the ball back and get a touchdown.

That decision did not cost them the game.

It seemed the Patriots were not comfortable from the beginning.

I don't understand why they didn't 'defer' the kickoff...strange.
The only thing I can come up with in regards to taking the first half kick was to set a tone. I believe they were threatened by the defense, and wanted to go out and grab the lead first. Obviously no one knew how mismatched our O-Line would be to their defense.

Secondly, since "maybe" they believed Manning and the offense wasn't as much of a threat (which in fact they weren't), this was a chess match of offense. If the belief was to force manning to throw, getting the lead on the first drive was the first pawn move. It failed, but the double/double around the half really didn't hurt them.

At the end of the day I don't think it mattered. Brady had no time to do anything pretty much all game, and only Gronk's heroics even gave them a last gasp chance for OT.

I though they should have kicked the FG IMO. Our D played good enough to believe they'd get the ball back. But geesh, why did Gostowski have to pick yesterday to have his ridiculous point after streak end. I felt so bad for him, as he wanted to take all the blame.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:20 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Heads up Pats fan. You still have arguable the greatest quarterback and coach tandem ever. You will be in the hunt for quite some time.

To be fair.....you guys would have won in New England and you know that. Losing a nail biter, in an away game, to the best defense in the league is nothing to hang your head about. Considering all of the injuries...you folks had a lights out season.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:43 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Yep, they did, gave it their all, right down to the very end. Impressive with the injuries Pats had, they will be back next year, no doubt.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:59 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Brady got hit 20 times yesterday and walked away with no injuries. Still has years left in him. As for Belechik....Sith Lords never retire.....j/k!

Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,604 times
Pats just said goodbye to O-line coach DeGuglielmo.....think they should pull Scarnecchia outta retirement.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Pats just said goodbye to O-line coach DeGuglielmo.....think they should pull Scarnecchia outta retirement.
Doesn't really come as a surprise. The O Line was terrible the entire 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Doesn't really come as a surprise. The O Line was terrible the entire 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.
Yeah he didn't have a lot to work with but it is a bottom line business...

Getting Solder back next year will change the whole dynamic and the rookies looked decent I think they will be good when they can settle into one position
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football