Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Wilson is a great kid. I love his attitude. I guess the problem for him, if you call it a problem, is that when you have such a great defense you don't need to put up insane QB stats. Matter of fact, you shouldn't. An offense, like Denver, that scores tons of points does it for various reasons but mainly it's because they have to to win. Wilson doesn't need to. He just needs to move the ball methodically and not make errors. Which is exactly what he does. But he also has the added ability to make big plays if need be. He's a great fit in Seattle.
Wilson's "great stat"? Turnovers. No sense in heroic plays if your D can get you the ball back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,776,791 times
I've never been a big fan of "athletic running, mediocre arm strength, can't throw a timing route or deep out, type QB in the NFL. And Wilson is all those things......however, the man plays smart and within himself and does not lose games. He does not press and force things and is mature for his time in the league. He is not a QB, who will win you a championship, he is a QB who will participate in a team effort to go get one. and he did just that.

His overall, traditional skill set is below average, but he plays smart, within his game, knows his limits and respects it and plays on a team with an amazing defense.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:47 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I've never been a big fan of "athletic running, mediocre arm strength, can't throw a timing route or deep out, type QB in the NFL. And Wilson is all those things......however, the man plays smart and within himself and does not lose games. He does not press and force things and is mature for his time in the league. He is not a QB, who will win you a championship, he is a QB who will participate in a team effort to go get one. and he did just that.

His overall, traditional skill set is below average, but he plays smart, within his game, knows his limits and respects it and plays on a team with an amazing defense.
Haha. Aint life LOVELY when you can depend on your defensive squad? Good reason for all teams to invest in the best defensive squad they can build. I'd say in this "age of the QB", that should include a good rush and an awesome secondary. Then recruit a QB to trust them and not be heroic. This means you need to understand the personality of your QB. Johnny Manziel, for instance, is a loose cannon. Mobility is a great asset, but with Seattle's D, I think even Alex Smith could win a Super Bowl.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

To the people wondering what false information is out there on Wilson

It's this type of garbage

Mediocre arm strength?

Can't throw a deep out?

Can't throw a timing out?

What next, he has short arms and small hands?

Please tell me how a guy with little arm strength, with bad timing and not being able to throw a deep out was #4 in yards per attempt both this year and last year

His down the field stats this year were also very good

Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
Also, it should be noted that in only year 2 of his career Russell Wilson has pretty much blown away anything Alex Smith has done in his career .... he's on a completely different level than Alex Smith

Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Wilson is a great kid. I love his attitude. I guess the problem for him, if you call it a problem, is that when you have such a great defense you don't need to put up insane QB stats. Matter of fact, you shouldn't. An offense, like Denver, that scores tons of points does it for various reasons but mainly it's because they have to to win. Wilson doesn't need to. He just needs to move the ball methodically and not make errors. Which is exactly what he does. But he also has the added ability to make big plays if need be. He's a great fit in Seattle.
A quarterback's job isn't to put up insane stats; it's to win games. He's done more of that at this stage of his career than any quarterback in the history of the league. I don't know what else anyone could ask him to do at this point.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Also, it should be noted that in only year 2 of his career Russell Wilson has pretty much blown away anything Alex Smith has done in his career .... he's on a completely different level than Alex Smith
In all fairness to Smith, he didn't have nearly the talent to work with or the coaching support that Wilson has had. I don't want to make this thread about Alex Smith, but I feel it's fair to point that out. Alex probably would have benefited much sooner from having a guy like Harbaugh around in 2007 or 2008, as opposed to 2011. Alex Smith is a good quarterback. He's not going to be remembered among the greats, but put him on a team with talent and under a coach that knows what to do with him, and he'll win. Russell Wilson is the same, and arguably, he's accomplished more than Smith at this stage.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,676,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
A quarterback's job isn't to put up insane stats; it's to win games. He's done more of that at this stage of his career than any quarterback in the history of the league. I don't know what else anyone could ask him to do at this point.
Well, that's why I said that he shouldn't be putting up crazy numbers when he has a great D. Also, he has done a lot in two years but Tom Brady won the Super Bowl in what was effectively his rookie year (he was a backup QB his first year I believe) and he didn't have the benefit of such an awesome D. So, I'd say that he did more in less time. The QB is the most important position in football but it's still a team sport. So some people that are saying Wilson won the game and Manning lost it is a bit misguided. No QB throws to themselves (even if Favre's first career pass was to himself). Hell, I'm a Bears fan and we had Rex Grossman starting in the super bowl...Rex Grossman! He surely didn't get us to the super bowl as much as he was along for the ride. And even so, if he has just an average game we probably beat Manning and he would still be looking for that first ring. He had one of the worst QB performances in a Super Bowl that day and we still only lost by 12.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-04-2014 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 PM

54 posts, read 108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Russell is like a legion commander in the Roman Army. Tools and training designed to make a machine work. If he has the humility and intelligence to play that role, he can defeat people way more brilliant than he is. I think you could go back through eons and find the principle unwavering. History books remember only superstars, but every one of them stood or fell according to the effectiveness of their followers.

Exactly! What I like about the kid is his attitude. He is so calm and humble. He defines what a professional athlete should be.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM

54 posts, read 108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm a Russell Wilson believer. I think he's arrived. It's astonishing how mature he is for someone who just completed only his second season in the league. I was already thinking highly of Wilson before the playoffs, but his performance against the 49ers was, in my opinion, indicative of a quarterback playing at the elite level. Statistically, he's not necessarily blowing up the stat sheet, but he makes huge plays again and again. You can't look past that. The Seahawks now are right where the 49ers were in 1981 or where the Patriots were in 2001. They're at the cusp of something big. Whether they get there or not remains to be seen, but if they do become the league's next great team, Wilson will no doubt have a lot to do with that. I really like this kid.
Yes, you are right, he makes huge plays when he has to. If you watched last year's playoffs with the Falcons, he did everything he could to win that game and put the Seahawks in position to win but ironically it was actually the defense that let the team down and they ultimately lost the game. Pete Carroll actually admitted in an interview that the play call on defense was on him.
I do agree that they are in a position of something big because Wilson is still in his rookie contract and the team can try to keep all their key players without having to shell out a huge contract for Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football