Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Okay, memo, read carefully: I never said RW wasn't better. I'm just saying that Alex Smith has been underrated and under-utilized his entire career.
He was the first pick in his draft ...... hard to say that he wasn't rated at that time

From there his own play has led to the views on him ...... he's developed into a safe player to go with the smarts he's always had ... but he does have limitations in taking the top off a defense which will always limit his potential

I have nothing against the guy and he does have some aspects of his game completely undersold (like his mobility)

His struggle has been living up to his initial rating - his draft stock and the expectations that come with it ... so it really depends on how you look at his career ..... if you compare him to all NFL QBs that have played during his career he's had a pretty good one - if you compare him to what teams want when they draft a guy #1 overall he's fallen short .... but far from a flameout like some other #1s overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
You're seriously underrating the Patriots defense in 2001, which was arguably the best defense it has had during the Belichick era. It stopped the Midwest Express, a team that put up sick numbers against most of the league that year. The secondary and LBs were extremely good that year: Milloy, Law, Bruschi, etc..
I never said they weren't good but Seattle's D was better. Wilson did great this year but I think Brady did more in a shorter time.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-05-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I never said they weren't good but Seattle's D was better. Wilson did great this year but I think Brady did more in a shorter time.
Impossible to argue with that. By the way, the phrase I now here and read everywhere is "Russell Wilson will only get better". Come on now, anyone remembering the year when Adrian Peterson nearly broke Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record. In the aftermath, Peterson set 2500 yards as his goal. But the dependence on him led to a reduced effectiveness. His running style beats up the body bad. I never heard on football TV "I wish him well, but I feel the pain when he is running. It could as easily go the other way". Something in football commentary leads even experts to self-censor about their doubts.

Wilson has the same upside as anyone in his class. But "he will only get better" could be a phrase that will come back to haunt those who say it. Partly because, face it, his performance is a product of his TEAM. Suspensions, injuries, all sorts of things could impact the future of Russell Wilson. Here's one thing I think I can safely say: "If Russell Wilson doesn't match the last season, it won't be because of emotion or stupidity". You can't say that about that many QBs out there. I'd call Russell "the thinking man's QB". He convinces me a brain can operate as QB in NFL football. I don't really mind less cerebral QB's, especially if they are humble guys like Terry Bradshaw with his four championships. If only more QBs were less full of themselves, more appreciative of all the guys who take loads of hits in loyal service to the team and the QB. We lionize QBs, and some of them start to believe the PR. I appreciate anyone in a football uniform who can say "Aw shucks" sincerely.

Postscript: Joe Montana has had fun with his image, too. Gives me warm feeling toward Joe.

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 02-05-2014 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: postscript

Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 PM

54 posts, read 108,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
With that defense...you could probably start Rex Grossman under Center for Seattle and they'd win the Superbowl.
Actually, that formula with a great defense and Grossman as quaterback has been tried before but short of winning the Superbowl with the 2006 Bears. Not quite the same as Seattle's defense but a great defense overall. That Bears team with Lovie Smith and Ron Rivera as defensive coordinator was a pretty tough defense. They were rank third in points allowed.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
You're right, I'm not a fan.

You're right, I'm not arguing that they are pretty good right now. They look great in fact.

This thread is about Russell Wilson... and I like the guy. I wish I could say the same for Sherman, Tate, and Carroll.

Tell your husband not to get too excited... it's been a while since the the #1 team that everyone talked about all season on the news and ESPN actually won the Super Bowl.
OOPS! Wrong again!

Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
I'm a Russell Wilson believer. I think he's arrived. It's astonishing how mature he is for someone who just completed only his second season in the league. I was already thinking highly of Wilson before the playoffs, but his performance against the 49ers was, in my opinion, indicative of a quarterback playing at the elite level. Statistically, he's not necessarily blowing up the stat sheet, but he makes huge plays again and again. You can't look past that. The Seahawks now are right where the 49ers were in 1981 or where the Patriots were in 2001. They're at the cusp of something big. Whether they get there or not remains to be seen, but if they do become the league's next great team, Wilson will no doubt have a lot to do with that. I really like this kid.
I am too. I was impressed from the first time I saw him play at Wisconsin. He's not a stathound like Phillip Rivers who puts up big #s but doesn't have the wins to back them up. He plays clutch ... like all those third down completions in the SB to keep Peyton off the field. He just does whatever he has to do to win.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I've never been a big fan of "athletic running, mediocre arm strength, can't throw a timing route or deep out, type QB in the NFL. And Wilson is all those things......however, the man plays smart and within himself and does not lose games. He does not press and force things and is mature for his time in the league. He is not a QB, who will win you a championship, he is a QB who will participate in a team effort to go get one. and he did just that.

His overall, traditional skill set is below average, but he plays smart, within his game, knows his limits and respects it and plays on a team with an amazing defense.

Wilson is NOT mediocre arm strength. He has a better arm than Brady in his prime. Count it. Saw RW from college and I'm a Pats fan. No question about this.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelquefois View Post
Actually, that formula with a great defense and Grossman as quaterback has been tried before but short of winning the Superbowl with the 2006 Bears. Not quite the same as Seattle's defense but a great defense overall. That Bears team with Lovie Smith and Ron Rivera as defensive coordinator was a pretty tough defense. They were rank third in points allowed.
Was Peanut Tillman there then? He's been like some of the Seattle defenders.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
I gotta give credit to a great OP when I see one.

I remember locking this thread a couple years ago as I thought it was a troll post.

<------- owned

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 PM

54 posts, read 108,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Was Peanut Tillman there then? He's been like some of the Seattle defenders.
Ya, Tillman played then. About him being like the Seattle defenders, you are right, it's probably the play where Later in the third quarter, where Manning connected with Demaryius Thomas on a 23-yard yard completion, but Seattleā€™s Byron Maxwell punched the ball out of his hands, creating yet another Denver turnover. Tillman is well known for punching the ball to force fumbles, I think Maxwell took a page out of Tillman's playbook on that one. He's also a good guy, this year he won the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football