Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, the football gods smiled and the best team won! Congrat's to the Giants and their fans!

While I feel bad for Mr. Kraft and his situation this year, there's no way I could put up with the Patriots winning. Basically, I hate that team!
Here, here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times
Oh, and I'm sorry, but I'm also glad Chad Johnson didn't get a ring.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
I usually scoff at the ridiculous over-analyzing of the sports media during Super Bowl week. One of the main topics they discussed was Gronkowski's injured ankle. However, two of the biggest plays of the game could've have gone the other way with a healthy Gronkowski:

1) Does he manage to bat the ball away from Blackburn and prevent the interception? Consider the situation when that happened. 17-15 Pats, beginning of the 4th quarter. Brady was still moving the offense well (not as well as the two possessions that sandwiched halftime). Even if he could have jumped up a bit higher off that ankle and batted the ball away could have had a profound effect.

2) With a little extra "umph" from pushing off on that ankle, does Gronkowski catch that ball on the last play of the game in the end zone?

What I really enjoyed about this game was that Hollywood can't write a better script. In regards to the play I mentioned in #1... that play had echoes of Manning-Tyree all over it. QB escapes what looks like a sack... throws it out deep down the field... I don't know, it "was like deja vu all over again!"

And Belichick is one shrewd guy. Maybe I'm not as boned up on football strategy as the next guy, but I did not expect him to "allow the Giants to score" when the Giants 1st and goal late in the 4th. Of course, it was a smart move. The odds of the giants being able to run out the clock with 4 downs with under 1 minute to go while managing to kick a field goal from the ~1 yard line is pretty good. So, he rolled the dice.

I had just never seen anything like that in my time of watching football. Good move though.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Congrats Giant fans! Seeing Bill B suffer another SB loss made my day.....

Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,083,285 times
Whatacatch Manningham! Happy for Coughlin and Eli, No one deserves it more, Congratulations to the New York Football Giants! ! !

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Its true that the best team or best teams don't always get to the Superbowl but thats whats great about the game. Sometimes teams sneak past the playoffs and nobody can understand just how they got there. Luck, other teams injuries, key bad calls. But I have to say the Giants were a completely different team than during the regular season.
I had a hard time finding cause to root for the Giants but I always did like Eli Manning and thought he never got the respect he deserved. I hate Belichick, greatly dislike Tom Brady and think the Patriots are just tainted. So it was easy rooting against them. But losing was probably the best thing that could happen to that team and their fans so they can find a positive at least.
It was a better Superbowl than I thought it would be. Not a great one, not a slugfest between two great teams, but it was close and it wasn't a yawner or a botched affair like we've seen a so often recently.
I gave up watching the halftime show since its been so bad so I can't say whether that was any good.
The commercials were pretty crappy. I mean really crappy. Worst commercials... ever.
Just don't let the animosity between NYC and Boston get out of hand. Its baseball season now so let things cool down. Neither city will be a factor for the playoffs ............ hah!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,309 times
I posted this on another thread but here goes.

Im a Packer fan from Wisconsin, and I congratulate the Giants and their fans on their Superbowl win. They showed in the last 7 or 8 weeks that they are indeed the best team in the NFL. When you size up you big win today, give some credit to Tom Coughlan.

Enjoy you triumph and your victory celebrations.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
And Belichick is one shrewd guy. Maybe I'm not as boned up on football strategy as the next guy, but I did not expect him to "allow the Giants to score" when the Giants 1st and goal late in the 4th. Of course, it was a smart move. The odds of the giants being able to run out the clock with 4 downs with under 1 minute to go while managing to kick a field goal from the ~1 yard line is pretty good. So, he rolled the dice.

I had just never seen anything like that in my time of watching football. Good move though.
Of course you don't see that strategy played out every day but its fairly common although not EVERY coach takes the same approach... some will roll the dice and pray the FG is no good but from inside the 5, the odds are stacked way against you and your chances of driving the length of the field in under a minute are better than the kicker missing that chip shot. Most fans KNEW exactly what Belichick and the Patriots had to do... and the Giants did as well, but Bradshaw just simply had too much momentum to stop on the 1... like he wanted to.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I've been without a computer for a week so here I am at the library! Just wanted to stop by and say congrats to the Giants fans, so glad Big Blue pulled through and won the game!

Echoes to what Jeff said, sums it up pretty well! Enjoy!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
As one of our top posters JJG has done in the past two seasons, he has created a "tribute thread" for the NY Giants because of the SB victory. This has been done the past couple seasons. I've "stickied" that thread and dropped the "sticky" on this one though comments on this thread regarding the Giants victory yesterday are certainly welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football