Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
And people keep hammering Eli because he is Eli. He has never had the mobility that Rodgers or Prescott has had. He is not going to get it all of a sudden at age 37. Do I think Eli has missed some plays? I think he has, but with the line being so terrible, he is doomed. I dont recall so many free rushers running at Rodgers, and Rodgers' line never couldnt handle a simple line stunt. Multiple games for Rodgers? We are now talking about multiple seasons for Eli.
Because the cowboys stacked the box with all out blitzes. They don't need backfield coverage. Eli is extremely weak to getting boxed in as he never takes off like Russell Wilson or Rodgers could if you try to pin him with extra rushers. I think this strategy is paying off he is completely neutralized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 07:44 PM

I sense another loss like 17-10 or 14-7 this week against the Texans. Now I heard they're lining up the Fullback for this game but I don't think it's gonna work against JJ Watt and the Texan pass rush.

I watched Eli the last few years and he has regressed a lot because he's constantly watching for rushers instead of trying to make a good throw.

Even when Eli had time to throw, he doesn't put the ball in good spots.

Now I think back I believe McAdoo was right in benching Eli and having Geno Smith have atleast 2 starts before letting Davis Webb get a start.

Mara completely screwed up by firing McAdoo, it was already a lost season so let the coach try starting a new QB for a change.

Instead we got Eli back for one good game and now he's back to what Eli does best which is standing inside the box and getting sacked.

Doesn't matter if the Giants sign 2-3 top quality guards, Eli needs to go. Plenty of QBs today live with the same O-line he has and they adapt.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I sense another loss like 17-10 or 14-7 this week against the Texans. Now I heard they're lining up the Fullback for this game but I don't think it's gonna work against JJ Watt and the Texan pass rush.

I watched Eli the last few years and he has regressed a lot because he's constantly watching for rushers instead of trying to make a good throw.

Now I think back I believe McAdoo was right in benching Eli and having Geno Smith have atleast 2 starts before letting Davis Webb get a start.

Mara completely screwed up by firing McAdoo, it was already a lost season so let the coach try starting a new QB for a change.

Instead we got Eli back for one good game and now he's back to what Eli does best which is standing inside the box and getting sacked.

Doesn't matter if the Giants sign 2-3 top quality guards, Eli needs to go. Plenty of QBs today live with the same O-line he has and they adapt.
Could not disagree more. McAdoo should have been fired. He was an idiot. Wait until the end of the season, maybe? Okay. Start Davis Webb? Yes. But keep McAdoo? No way. Heck no.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 AM

178 posts, read 147,792 times
Quote:

Turns out you were right about JJ Watt and the pass rush, but you blew it on the other predictions. The coach, Shurmur, made some changes both on offense and defense that worked in the Giants favor. With an O-line that protected him, Eli looked pretty good. OBJ, Saquon Barkley and Sterling Shepard all had terrific games. They meshed the way the Giant coaches had hoped. If they can keep it up for the entire season they will be an interesting team to watch.

Re McAdoo, I think he was a disaster and the Giants were right to get rid of him. He handled the QB situation about as poorly as it could have been handled. It’s obvious that Eli is a bit long in the tooth, but he showed that he still has the passing skills if the line can protect him. The Giants do need to think about who’s gonna follow him, but I think he can give us a good season if he gets the protection.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Could not disagree more. McAdoo should have been fired. He was an idiot. Wait until the end of the season, maybe? Okay. Start Davis Webb? Yes. But keep McAdoo? No way. Heck no.
He coached the Giants to 11 wins on his first coaching season and you blame him when Eli started screwing up last year? I am not a fan of Macdoo but he was right with benching Eli to give Webb a shot. Davis Webb even alluded recently that before Macdoo was fired he was going to start Webb the last 2 games but Mara already got scared of losing ticket sales. It was the right to start benching Eli. Why would you risk having Eli hurt with 3 meaningless games.

Eli has been with 4 coaches now. His mediocre play has gotten 3 coached fired. He hasn't won a playoff game in 8 years and likely won't ever reach the playoff again b4 he retires.

Odell has shown displeasure with how Eli not thrown to him even if he was open.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
Turns out you were right about JJ Watt and the pass rush, but you blew it on the other predictions. The coach, Shurmur, made some changes both on offense and defense that worked in the Giants favor. With an O-line that protected him, Eli looked pretty good. OBJ, Saquon Barkley and Sterling Shepard all had terrific games. They meshed the way the Giant coaches had hoped. If they can keep it up for the entire season they will be an interesting team to watch.

Re McAdoo, I think he was a disaster and the Giants were right to get rid of him. He handled the QB situation about as poorly as it could have been handled. It’s obvious that Eli is a bit long in the tooth, but he showed that he still has the passing skills if the line can protect him. The Giants do need to think about who’s gonna follow him, but I think he can give us a good season if he gets the protection.
It was Barkley that saved the Giants from another inconsistent offensive game against the Texans. Further proved that Eli can't score more than 30 points with 3 high quality receivers. Barkley is getting 16 catches vs 7 for Odell. Even Eli had time to throw he still misses all over the place. Last game, Brees proved that he can win and make throws with high completions. Giants defense held them down but it was the offense again that can't capitalize and find any rhythm. C'mon a 6'4 QB can't outperform a 6 ft older QB.

If you keep blaming the offensive line, just watch other QB how they have the same problems but they adjust and still score over 30 points and win. Get ready for another 3-13 season.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
He coached the Giants to 11 wins on his first coaching season and you blame him when Eli started screwing up last year? I am not a fan of Macdoo but he was right with benching Eli to give Webb a shot. Davis Webb even alluded recently that before Macdoo was fired he was going to start Webb the last 2 games but Mara already got scared of losing ticket sales. It was the right to start benching Eli. Why would you risk having Eli hurt with 3 meaningless games.

Eli has been with 4 coaches now. His mediocre play has gotten 3 coached fired. He hasn't won a playoff game in 8 years and likely won't ever reach the playoff again b4 he retires.

Odell has shown displeasure with how Eli not thrown to him even if he was open.
None of that stops the fact that McAdoo was still a bad coach. Eli has also had a terrible offensive line the entire time these coaches have been fired. Granted, that isnt the coach's fault, but that is why the Giants have a new GM. Yeah, he does deserve some of that blame. McAdoo's offense was vanilla and unimaginative. He was hired because he was an offensive mind, and his offense was terrible. The scheme was terrible, and that isnt all on Eli. That is on McAdoo. Heck, didnt even bench Eli correctly! Davis Webb should have started the first game, and not Geno Smith.

And not winning a playoff game in 8 years isnt just an indictment of Eli; that is an indictment of the Giants as a whole. They simply havent been good enough.

Do I think Eli is part of this mess? Yes, but dont go defending a terrible head coach who probably is only better than Ray Handley in Giants Head Coach history.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
None of that stops the fact that McAdoo was still a bad coach. Eli has also had a terrible offensive line the entire time these coaches have been fired. Granted, that isnt the coach's fault, but that is why the Giants have a new GM. Yeah, he does deserve some of that blame. McAdoo's offense was vanilla and unimaginative. He was hired because he was an offensive mind, and his offense was terrible. The scheme was terrible, and that isnt all on Eli. That is on McAdoo. Heck, didnt even bench Eli correctly! Davis Webb should have started the first game, and not Geno Smith.

And not winning a playoff game in 8 years isnt just an indictment of Eli; that is an indictment of the Giants as a whole. They simply havent been good enough.

Do I think Eli is part of this mess? Yes, but dont go defending a terrible head coach who probably is only better than Ray Handley in Giants Head Coach history.
Have you ever studied Eli and come to the realization that he really is mediocre and that all of the offensive coordinators just can't get him to stop throwing on the back foot? None of them could get Eli to execute a proper screen pass or a design play because Eli is just too slow and not very athletic.

How many fumbles has Eli committed trying to run a simple 5 yard? Watching Eli for over a decade, he is a stationary immobile QB. Peyton is much better than Eli, while he's no Rodgers but he can scramble when he needs to.

Last game against the Saints, Eli was not rushed or sacked as often and he had plenty of time to throw yet he made the most conservative attempts and that's why Beckham was pissed off.

I can guarantee that Eli is never going back to post season until he start being more consistent and throws with more authority than all of those poor over thrown balls.

As for McAdoo, I don't think he was a great coach since he is still learning and they gave him the hook much too early. It is Mara's mistake, like Jimmy Jones he interfered with MacAdoo's decision to bench Eli. He was too afraid of losing ticket sales. The same reason they signed Beckham.

They should let Beckham go and use his salary towards signing 2-3 high quality lineman. Eli has enough receivers, he doesn't need Beckham. Ingram was a much better receiver than Beckman's constant routine drops.

What Mara and Getterman has done this season will set the franchise back by 3 years including ruining Eli's career. They've got no money to bring better players now that 3/4 of their salary cap is tied to 5 players.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:12 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Being a Patriots fan, I hope your team wins next Thursday night!

Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Have you ever studied Eli and come to the realization that he really is mediocre and that all of the offensive coordinators just can't get him to stop throwing on the back foot? None of them could get Eli to execute a proper screen pass or a design play because Eli is just too slow and not very athletic.

How many fumbles has Eli committed trying to run a simple 5 yard? Watching Eli for over a decade, he is a stationary immobile QB. Peyton is much better than Eli, while he's no Rodgers but he can scramble when he needs to.

Last game against the Saints, Eli was not rushed or sacked as often and he had plenty of time to throw yet he made the most conservative attempts and that's why Beckham was pissed off.

I can guarantee that Eli is never going back to post season until he start being more consistent and throws with more authority than all of those poor over thrown balls.

As for McAdoo, I don't think he was a great coach since he is still learning and they gave him the hook much too early. It is Mara's mistake, like Jimmy Jones he interfered with MacAdoo's decision to bench Eli. He was too afraid of losing ticket sales. The same reason they signed Beckham.

They should let Beckham go and use his salary towards signing 2-3 high quality lineman. Eli has enough receivers, he doesn't need Beckham. Ingram was a much better receiver than Beckman's constant routine drops.

What Mara and Getterman has done this season will set the franchise back by 3 years including ruining Eli's career. They've got no money to bring better players now that 3/4 of their salary cap is tied to 5 players.

Beckham is a top 3 receiver in the league, period. Are you kidding? And by Ingram, do you mean the Giants former WR? He of zero 1,000 yard seasons and zero Pro Bowls? Really? Oh, you mean the guy that OBJ is already within 300 yards of his career receiving yards? That guy? Really? No, I like Ingram, but he cant hold a candle to OBJ, and if you are asking me to study Eli, you need to study OBJ. Oh, yeah, the guy with the routine drops has only ONE this season. That is a routine, I suppose.

And Im sorry, there is no defending McAdoo. Learning? If anything, he was going backwards. And, again, if you are going to bench Eli, which I could understand, play Webb NOT Geno Smith. He wasnt even smart enough to handle the benching correctly.

As for Eli, the problem I am now seeing is that when he does get time, when he is getting a clean pocket, he is missing receivers--in some cases, he is missing badly. That is a cause for concern. One thing he used to be able to do was throw deep. In Gilbride's offense, the Giants routinely threw down the field, and Eli was good at that. But he has been abused over the past few seasons, and I wonder if he is just to shell-shocked to make competent throws consistently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football