Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 12:56 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times

Advertisements

I thought Jones had potential his first season. But, after that, I dont think he progressed. Some of that is on Jones, and some of that is on his coaching.

I mean, my biggest problem with Jones is still he makes bad reads at times--and bad decisions. The interception in last season's TB Bucs game--where he was out of the pocket and threw across his body across the field, and was intercepted by a lineman--was terrible.

I know that Garrett's system was terrible, but Jones doesnt seem to be progressing from making bad decisions that he made in his rookie season.

He doesnt seem to have mastered reading a defense post-snap when they might move into something different than the pre-snap read they gave you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 08:16 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,361,234 times
More dog piling on Jones....

https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/daniel...iants-starter/

Nobody is saying that the Giants should make the playoffs this year, or that Jones should become another Mahomes or Allen, or that he should even hurdle Dak Prescott to be the best quarterback in the NFC East. But he should at least show enough improvement and — now that his neck has healed — enough durability to give his team a reasonable chance to win almost every week.
“Or else” would seem the most appropriate words to follow that statement, but they aren’t necessary. Rookie general manager Joe Schoen has already told his quarterback “or else” by declining to pick up his fifth-year option. Jones has to be ballin’ right away, or he could lose his job before Halloween. The Giants went from having one of the worst backups in the league (Mike Glennon) to having one of the best (Tyrod Taylor) for a reason.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
More dog piling on Jones....

https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/daniel...iants-starter/

Nobody is saying that the Giants should make the playoffs this year, or that Jones should become another Mahomes or Allen, or that he should even hurdle Dak Prescott to be the best quarterback in the NFC East. But he should at least show enough improvement and — now that his neck has healed — enough durability to give his team a reasonable chance to win almost every week.
“Or else” would seem the most appropriate words to follow that statement, but they aren’t necessary. Rookie general manager Joe Schoen has already told his quarterback “or else” by declining to pick up his fifth-year option. Jones has to be ballin’ right away, or he could lose his job before Halloween. The Giants went from having one of the worst backups in the league (Mike Glennon) to having one of the best (Tyrod Taylor) for a reason.
No arguments from me there.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:52 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I thought Jones had potential his first season. But, after that, I dont think he progressed. Some of that is on Jones, and some of that is on his coaching.

I know that Garrett's system was terrible, but Jones doesnt seem to be progressing from making bad decisions that he made in his rookie season.

Garrett is not even joke fodder anymore. I saw him make a try at announcing, he could not even do that!

However, we often forget just how good the right coaching is. I think that people like Brady and Manning had the right coaching at the right time, and that is part of Jones' problem. Same with Trevor Lawrence. He is learning that there is a BIG jump from the NCAA to the NFL and without the right coach, he will spend about 5 years going nowhere (like James Winston)

As for Jones, he will be working now with Shea Tierney so let's see how that works. Tierney was an assistant to Ken Dorsey with the Buffaloes. He worked with Josh Allen.

Of course, an OC will design plays that take advantage of the QBs skills and abilities. Well, MOST good OCs will.
So we will have to see.

I do not think the Giants will have the supporting cast or direction to finish in the top two in the division, but they should get a good draft next year and have a year to settle into a new system.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:26 PM

I agree, but I think the Giants new regime has them pointed in the right direction...which is something we have not seen in the better part of a decade now...

Old 08-20-2022, 08:49 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times
The fact that Schoen and Daboll both came from the same organization is a good thing IMO. In 2017, both Brandon Beane and Shawn McDrermott came to Buffalo from Carolina. They have been on the same page since day 1. Well almost, McDermott showed up a few months before Beane. Our previous GM, Doug Whaley ran McDermott's first draft as an empty suit and was relieved of duties prior to the season starting with Beane taking over. One of Beane's first moves was trading the bust Sammy Watkins to the Rams.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The fact that Schoen and Daboll both came from the same organization is a good thing IMO. In 2017, both Brandon Beane and Shawn McDrermott came to Buffalo from Carolina. They have been on the same page since day 1. Well almost, McDermott showed up a few months before Beane. Our previous GM, Doug Whaley ran McDermott's first draft as an empty suit and was relieved of duties prior to the season starting with Beane taking over. One of Beane's first moves was trading the bust Sammy Watkins to the Rams.
I agree. There shouldnt be a whole lot of friction on decisions, and the ship should be moving in the same (positive) direction at all times. While I think Judge and Gettlemen got along, I am not sure they were always on the same page. I think they had a general agreement, but probably didnt see eye to eye on some details...

Old 09-11-2022, 02:41 PM

Giants already down 7-0 to Titans...D didnt put up much resistance...

Old 09-12-2022, 06:34 AM

5,526 posts, read 7,116,718 times
Perfect ending.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:38 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,361,234 times
I like how coach Daboll really laid into Jones after that interception. For good reason. Jones responded well after that tongue lashing. Barkley looked outstanding. Like his old self. I am hoping they can keep that magic against the Panthers this coming Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football