Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 02:58 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
How was the cowboys defense a non factor all day if they kept the skins out of the end zone the entire first half?
I don't believe you can give the Cowboy's defense all the credit for keeping the Redskins offense out of the end zone in the first half as much as you have to look back on this season and see that the 'skins have had red zone issues throughout the year.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM

158 posts, read 73,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
No, actually they didn't. The Cowboys defense was pretty much an non-factor all day long, and especially in the second half. Same can be said for the Redskins defense as well. More accurately is the Cowboy offense go it done when it mattered the most - scoring TDs when the 'skins were missing field goals in the first half.

This I will agree with....when you let Kurt Cousins shred you for 450 yds, you are a non factor....we have a habit of making average QB's look like HOFers

Old 11-28-2016, 03:52 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffendor View Post
This I will agree with....when you let Kurt Cousins shred you for 450 yds, you are a non factor....we have a habit of making average QB's look like HOFers
I think Kirk Cousins proved he is above average

Old 11-28-2016, 07:55 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The FACTS are the Cowboys have the 7th ranked defense which could be a product of Great offense but still, the defense makes plays.
The Cowboys have the 21st-ranked defense; the Seahawks have the #7 defense...

I have to agree that that defense is the product of the outstanding (#4 ranked) offense. I'm not piling on here, but I think it has to be obvious there are some troubling signs with the Cowboys defense. They don't force a lot of turnovers, and they struggle getting off the field against offenses that can move the ball (Pittsburgh, Washington)...

I do think they have overachieved and they deserve credit for that. The Cowboys D was seen as a major weakness coming into this season, and yet, they aren't a bad defense. I think given the defensive injuries and holes they have, they've performed admirably. There isn't a single All-Pro caliber player or a player who is elite at their position on that defense, so credit to Marinelli for making the most of what he has...

However, if you can offensively move the ball like they do/able to keep score with them, and your defense can make a stop or two, you have a two-pronged attack to beating the Cowboys. The problem with Pittsburgh and Washington is that while they can score with Dallas, they have two sorry defenses. The problem with Baltimore is that while they have a great defense, they can't score. And so on if you go down the Cowboys schedule. The team that can score and create stops and turnovers will put a different, as-yet-untested pressure on that Cowboys offense....

I still maintain that, that game is coming for the Cowboys. I wish the Redskins could have done it. I still maintain that Seattle is the most capable team of doing it; take away yesterday's sad performance, they'd shown in three consecutive games against three good teams that they could move the ball and score. None of this is to say the Cowboys "have no shot" or shouldn't be favored, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest they will lose a game or few coming up...

Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The FACTS are the Cowboys have the 7th ranked defense which could be a product of Great offense but still, the defense makes plays.

I have to agree that that defense is the product of the outstanding (#4 ranked) offense. I'm not piling on here, but I think it has to be obvious there are some troubling signs with the Cowboys defense. They don't force a lot of turnovers, and they struggle getting off the field against offenses that can move the ball (Pittsburgh, Washington)...

I do think they have overachieved and they deserve credit for that. The Cowboys D was seen as a major weakness coming into this season, and yet, they aren't a bad defense. I think given the defensive injuries and holes they have, they've performed admirably. There isn't a single All-Pro caliber player or a player who is elite at their position on that defense, so credit to Marinelli for making the most of what he has...

However, if you can offensively move the ball like they do/able to keep score with them, and your defense can make a stop or two, you have a two-pronged attack to beating the Cowboys. The problem with Pittsburgh and Washington is that while they can score with Dallas, they have two sorry defenses. The problem with Baltimore is that while they have a great defense, they can't score. And so on if you go down the Cowboys schedule. The team that can score and create stops and turnovers will put a different, as-yet-untested pressure on that Cowboys offense....

I still maintain that, that game is coming for the Cowboys. I wish the Redskins could have done it. I still maintain that Seattle is the most capable team of doing it; take away yesterday's sad performance, they'd shown in three consecutive games against three good teams that they could move the ball and score. None of this is to say the Cowboys "have no shot" or shouldn't be favored, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest they will lose a game or few coming up...

Old 11-28-2016, 08:34 PM

465 posts, read 303,987 times
I wouldn't rule out Patriots/Giants part III.

The Cowboys' offense is amazing but that defense is not good. They've had a great schedule so far but the Redskins abused their defense on Thanksgiving. In January, you really need a defense that can apply pressure and make stops. The Cowboys were lucky time ran out. The Giants' defense is stout and opportunistic and they also make big plays when needed on the offensive side. Here's my issue with the rest of the NFC teams.

Seattle- Unless Rawls gets going, their offense will be one dimensional again come January with serious O line issues but they are deserved favorite out of NFC
Washington- Their D is not really great
Detroit- D's ok but I just worry about lack of big game experience in situation with penalties
Green Bay- Rodgers will have to be unbelievable for them to win in January (if they get there)
Minnesota- Bradford's too limited and not sure he can make big plays when it counts
Atlanta- Remind me of Detroit but somewhat of worse defense
Tampa- Great on paper sometimes but too undisciplined

Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
I wouldn't rule out Patriots/Giants part III.

The Cowboys' offense is amazing but that defense is not good. They've had a great schedule so far but the Redskins abused their defense on Thanksgiving. In January, you really need a defense that can apply pressure and make stops. The Cowboys were lucky time ran out. The Giants' defense is stout and opportunistic and they also make big plays when needed on the offensive side. Here's my issue with the rest of the NFC teams.

Seattle- Unless Rawls gets going, their offense will be one dimensional again come January with serious O line issues but they are deserved favorite out of NFC
Washington- Their D is not really great
Detroit- D's ok but I just worry about lack of big game experience in situation with penalties
Green Bay- Rodgers will have to be unbelievable for them to win in January (if they get there)
Minnesota- Bradford's too limited and not sure he can make big plays when it counts
Atlanta- Remind me of Detroit but somewhat of worse defense
Tampa- Great on paper sometimes but too undisciplined
You mean the skins were unlucky that time ran out because they didn't have enough points.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:58 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I was looking at the stats from PRIOR to thanksgiving and i was looking on pro-football-reference.com
which now says;
Cowboys are 5th in SCORING DEFENSE
and 21st in YARDs.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Agreed. My opinion, Cousins is the best QB Washington has had in a generation..

He engineered the greatest comeback in Redskin history, down 24-0 to Tampa..
Last season Cousins had the highest home field completion % in NFL history, close to 75%
This season, his TDs are almost triple his picks.. He's winning games, they were a playoff team last year..
During a Skins' game recently, Fox showed he was the statistical franchise leader in several significant categories since Rypien left.

And he's coming from a franchise with the recent QB lineage of Heath Shuler, Frerrote, an aging McFlabb, Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Tony Banks.. My opinion, Cousins is the most consistent QB, they've had in 25 years, and is in the top quarter of starting NFL QBs, much better than an average resume'. There are some recalcitrant Cousins haters out there tho..

Old 11-29-2016, 01:06 PM

158 posts, read 73,725 times
Quote:

He has "proven" he is above average? Proven based on what?
Brady, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Luck, Marriotta, Carr, Smith, Rivers, Manning, Stafford, Winston, Brees, Newton, Wilson, Palmer....I think have a "proven" better track record than Cousins....OK, you want to say he is better than Marriotta and Winston, fine, I will give you that. That still puts him at #14....you wouldn't consider 14 out of 32 as "average"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football