Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 02:46 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I love how everybody is riding this Cowboys gravy train. The Redskins have played them tougher than any team they've faced this year. Let's look at a few things we learned from the Redskins games: if your team can score points with Dallas, AND your team doesn't beat themselves, and your defense can make some stops, AND your defense can force turnovers, Dallas can be beat, and it isn't nearly as difficult as it looks at first glance...

Washington is a team on the rise, which means we aren't mature enough to master how to beat great teams yet, and that's okay. I know the Skins have far exceeded expectations that all the talking heads had for us this year. There are, however, a handful of teams that match up VERY well with Dallas and Dallas would have to play better than they played yesterday to beat them:

-If a game turns into a shootout, who can score points with Dallas? Seattle, Atlanta, Washington...
-which teams don't typically beat themselves with untimely penalties, turnovers, or coaching mistakes? Again Seattle (they are undisciplined on D at times but they don't turn the ball over and have the second best coach in the league); Detroit is actually pretty good here; again Atlanta...
-whose defense excels at making stops and forcing turnovers? Seattle without a doubt, Detroit's has been very good in the fourth quarter, the Giants, and the Vikings (although they've struggled in recent weeks)...

Seattle is the only team that checks off every box. Dallas may be favored in a head-to-head in Dallas, but most people with good football sense would expect Seattle to win. We can create a list explaining why, or we can simplify it by just saying the book is out on how to beat Dallas, and Seattle has more tools in the shed than anybody. People lament how Seattle's defense has slipped this year, and yet, they are still currently #9 in what has honestly been a bad NFL year for defense. They get off the field in critical situations, force turnovers, rush the passer, and give up the fewest points in the league--again. That interception Ihenacho dropped yesterday in the 2ND quarter--Seattle is making that play and catching that pick. Richard Sherman is a much better player than Josh Norman, honestly we could go plsyer for player on the advantages rge Seahawks would have. We're not even gonna talk about their offense and the matchups advantages they have over Dallas' D. The Cowboys won't face a defense that deep and talented in the regular season...

All of the teams I mentioned have the potential to beat Dallas, but Seattle represents by far the biggest threat. I wholeheartedly look forward to a Seattle-Dallas matchup and watching the Hawks whip em silly. Hopefully they lose before then, but you guys are crazy. Dallas has the best record in the league but I'm not shooing them in as NFC Champions and I certainly don't think they can beat Seattle. Unless Seattle nosedive these last six weeks (extraordinarily unlikely), Seattle is my pick no matter who has home field advantage...

So your saying the BOOK to beat Dallas is
"if your team can score points with Dallas, AND your team doesn't beat themselves, and your defense can make some stops, AND your defense can force turnovers, Dallas can be beat, and it isn't nearly as difficult as it looks at first glance..."

UH.. thats not just a book to beat Dallas, that's a book to beat any team, not really a secret.. score points, don't beat yourselves.. force turnovers... Every team goes into EVERY game wanting to do just that and not just against the Cowboys.

I get that the Redskins played a good game yesterday, moved the ball up and down the field but they never, not once had the lead.. they were always playing from behind.. always driving to cut the lead to only a single Score.. the Cowboys controlled the game from coin flip to final buzzer... so if that's the book, good look with that..

Old 11-25-2016, 03:15 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,334 times
Quote:
I love how everybody is riding this Cowboys gravy train. The Redskins have played them tougher than any team they've faced this year. Let's look at a few things we learned from the Redskins games: if your team can score points with Dallas, AND your team doesn't beat themselves, and your defense can make some stops, AND your defense can force turnovers, Dallas can be beat, and it isn't nearly as difficult as it looks at first glance...

Washington is a team on the rise, which means we aren't mature enough to master how to beat great teams yet, and that's okay. I know the Skins have far exceeded expectations that all the talking heads had for us this year. There are, however, a handful of teams that match up VERY well with Dallas and Dallas would have to play better than they played yesterday to beat them:

-If a game turns into a shootout, who can score points with Dallas? Seattle, Atlanta, Washington...
-which teams don't typically beat themselves with untimely penalties, turnovers, or coaching mistakes? Again Seattle (they are undisciplined on D at times but they don't turn the ball over and have the second best coach in the league); Detroit is actually pretty good here; again Atlanta...
-whose defense excels at making stops and forcing turnovers? Seattle without a doubt, Detroit's has been very good in the fourth quarter, the Giants, and the Vikings (although they've struggled in recent weeks)...

Seattle is the only team that checks off every box. Dallas may be favored in a head-to-head in Dallas, but most people with good football sense would expect Seattle to win. We can create a list explaining why, or we can simplify it by just saying the book is out on how to beat Dallas, and Seattle has more tools in the shed than anybody. People lament how Seattle's defense has slipped this year, and yet, they are still currently #9 in what has honestly been a bad NFL year for defense. They get off the field in critical situations, force turnovers, rush the passer, and give up the fewest points in the league--again. That interception Ihenacho dropped yesterday in the 2ND quarter--Seattle is making that play and catching that pick. Richard Sherman is a much better player than Josh Norman, honestly we could go plsyer for player on the advantages rge Seahawks would have. We're not even gonna talk about their offense and the matchups advantages they have over Dallas' D. The Cowboys won't face a defense that deep and talented in the regular season...

All of the teams I mentioned have the potential to beat Dallas, but Seattle represents by far the biggest threat. I wholeheartedly look forward to a Seattle-Dallas matchup and watching the Hawks whip em silly. Hopefully they lose before then, but you guys are crazy. Dallas has the best record in the league but I'm not shooing them in as NFC Champions and I certainly don't think they can beat Seattle. Unless Seattle nosedive these last six weeks (extraordinarily unlikely), Seattle is my pick no matter who has home field advantage...
Dallas only has the best the record in the NFL, the best team is not decided until February.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:24 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Quote:
The Ravens are NOT a good football team. I watched their TNF game against Cleveland and any good team would have blown them out that day. There were grumbling about Harbaugh's job in the four-game losing streak, but the fact the division is so tightly contested will keep him his job. But make no mistake, they are only a threat to teams within that division. They are not a good football team. And that defense is overrated. I've watched them play three times this year (Washington, Cleveland, Dallas). It's a case study in how the stats (#2 ranked D) cover for the holes and don't tell the whole story. Probably one of the better defenses in the league, sure, but they ARE NOT #2 great...
The Ravens typically play very close games, regardless of their opponent. This even happened last year, it was kind of funny. Week 1, their offense was awful, defense was spectacular. Weeks 2-10, their offense was very good for the most part, but their defense can't get off the field in the 4th quarter and they blow every lead. Flacco, Forsett, Smith, etc. go down and the rest of the year their offense is awful but their defense becomes top notch again (except the 2 blowout losses with their practice squad on the field).

Once they get in to the playoffs, they're very dangerous. Their defense is pretty good, their kicker is perfect, and their offense has plenty of talent but is a giant mess right now. But getting in will require a lot of work for them. They still have to play Pittsburgh again, New England on the road, and Cincinnati twice. Bengals may suck, but Ravens struggle against them typically. There's essentially 0 chance for them to get a wild card spot, so they'll need to get back on top of Pittsburgh, who has an easier schedule moving forward. The one thing Baltimore has going for it is a current 3-0 record against their division.

I think Pittsburgh could also have an outside shot at taking the AFC, at least if they can beat Baltimore at home and sneak in.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:21 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I am simply hoping the Dak becomes the 4th Cowboys QB to lead his team to a Super Bowl, i never even thought about his skin color..
Since I'm not a Cowboys fan I don't care if he becomes the fourth Cowboys QB to do that.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Since I'm not a Cowboys fan I don't care if he becomes the fourth Cowboys QB to do that.
so your rooting for him simply because of his skin color???

Old 11-25-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
defense has slipped this year, and yet, they are still currently #9 in what has honestly been a bad NFL year for defense. They get off the field in critical situations, force turnovers, rush the passer, and give up the fewest points in the league--again. That interception Ihenacho dropped yesterday in the 2ND quarter--Seattle is making that play and catching that pick. Richard Sherman is a much better player than Josh Norman, honestly we could go plsyer for player on the advantages rge Seahawks would have. We're not even gonna talk about their offense and the matchups advantages they have over Dallas' D. The Cowboys won't face a defense that deep and talented in the regular season...
You say Dallas can be beat by proof of the Redskins games. Okay, but Dallas won both times. Dallas is warning respect simple as that. They have the best record in the league. Won in Green Bay, won in Pittsburgh, beat a good Redskins team twice. They deserve the praise they have gotten IMO.

Any team can be beaten in any day, but that doesn't mean Dallas doesn't deserve the praise they are getting.

Seattle's offense is not nearly the threat that the Redskins offense is IMO. What Seattle gains in defense they lose in offense compared to the Skins.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
so your rooting for him simply because of his skin color???
No, but I do find the streak interesting. It was said by some that mobile black QBs can't win. Dak, while mobile, has shown that he is a heck of a QB in the traditional sense too. Whenever people say something cannot be done I tend to like to see it be done.

With that said, I don't see very many scenarios where I will be rooting for Wilson and the Seahawks to win again this year. So no, it's not just a black thing.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Mobile QBs have always been able win.. Rogers Staubach wasn't called Roger the dodger for nothing.. Frank Trakenton was a slippery SOB... Elway was an incredible scrambler and runner and don't get me started on Steve Young.. Mobile QBs are NOT NEW.. not by a long shot.. The BLACK QB controversy ended (IMO) with Randall Cunningham, some would say Doug Williams... but isn't it ironic how 1 was very mobile and didn't win a Super BOwl while the other was a pocket Passer and won the Super BOwl MVP.. So the consensus that MOBILE QBs, not just black ones, can't win does have some merit. I used to have nightmares thinking about Cunningham chewing up the Cowboys defense...

I think recent discussion was concerning the 'READ OPTION' offense and not so much mobile black QBs.. Some question the read option as a viable offense regardless of who is running it.. it didn't end well for RGIII and Kaep only had limited success with it.. Wilson uses it sparingly as does Dak and the Cowboys.. To be fair, the read option was a fad and no one uses it exclusively... not because it wont work but because it exposes the most expensive player on your team to injury. ie.. RGIII.

I think that's the rub.. mobile QBs can win and have, but teams do NOT want to risk injury to their QB..

Old 11-25-2016, 05:46 PM

I agree about the read option, just like the wild cat, it's something to have in your tool belt but don't run it every possession.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Being mobile is good, but the key is smart and mobile. Rodgers runs but much different than he did at first, after he had a concussion or two. He really picks his battles now, does have 3 rushing TDs, more because of a lack of a running game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football