Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 01:43 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

Welcome to anohter season of feline jokes and entertainment Sadly due to technical glitches we are not up and running on the video....YET Hopefully soon

As BobTex said, the first few weeks are the hardest to pick. Teams change so much year to year, some for the better, some worse....And what happened in preseason, and even last year is out the window t when the games count.

And let me remind you, there is NO SUCH THING as an upset during the first week. (No such thing as the Sasquatch either, but I am sure Jerruh would try to sign him up for $60 Million a year if he found one.) All teams have an equal undefeated record, and there is no way to know who is headed to the championships and who is in line for the second round draft pick after the Desert Birds. I know the announcers like to hype "first week upsets" because their job is to talk and make people watch their shows, but seriously, we all pick better on this forum(well, most of us most of the time) than the so called TV "Experts" do.

Detroit Rock City Lions @ Chiefs At lunch, eating out, which we do too darn much IMHO , the talk was about how the key to the defensive line, tackle Chris Jones, was holding out and may not play, and how that might give a slight advantage to the Lions on offense, except that they did not mention that Goff's best target, Williams, is also out ,suspended for gambling.
SO while Yes, Dan Campbell is changing the culture in Detroit, Rock City,remember that this game is in Kansas City where the Chefs offense can cook up BarB Q on the Lions defense all night long. Also o/u 54.5, I do not bet, nor should you, lest we all end up like Williams, but I would be tempted to take the Over

Panthers @ FALCONS I agree with Maniac, I hate to trust the Dirty Birds. But you all know that I generally find the NFC South Uninteresting and really do not follow any teams therein. I think the Pink Panthers are headed the right way, but there is too much "new" and changed and while they may fight for first place next year, this year is for establishing, getting experience and moving on. Meanwhile, the Dirty Birds are a well balanced team, the defense can keep them in the game, and at home, they pick up a win.

Texicans @ NEVERMORE RAVENS Lovie Smith is bringing a motivational seminar to Baltimore, entitled "winning? who needs it!" Ravens win easily, but have 3 guys carted off the field in doing so.

BENGALS @ Edible Brownies For some reason, all the massage therapists for the Browns walked off the job. That will contribute to injuries Speaking of which, rumors are that Jeff Burrows is bringing his knee & lower leg with him to Cleveland, Where the stripey cats are 2.5 point favorites, take the edible Brownies and chill while the cats win by a point. Hey MANIAC....Does Jeff Burrows eat a Brownie?

49ers @ Steelers OK Yes, I hear this over and over. Maniac's 49ers often lose opening day especially on the road, the Steelers win at home opening day ,usually....SO I am going to go ahead and say that in the NFL something pattern-wise has to change. Both teams are playoff caliber, or will be in January, so let's see.

Pathetic Red Birds @ REDSKINS Will anyone on this team be having fun except Kyler Murray? Redskins play up because they are in a division where team will cannibalize each other for divisional wins while the desert team has no chance in theirs. Either way things have to be better in Capital City now that what's his name is gone.

TITANS at Saints Remember the Titans usually start the season ready, while the Saints already do not look ready Although the Dome is one of the best most fun places to see a game, don't think there will be enough *Cha-CHING!* this time around .

JAGUARS at Colts WOW another team that has a long way to go. The Colts will see how good their QB is when he is challenged to play behind a bottom ten Offensive line, while Trevor Lawrence continues to mature and looks forward to his Super Bowl ring with the Cowboys in 2025 under head coach Dan Quinn.

Buccaneers at VIKINGS I expect the Vikings to start off ok, then be mediocre for the run....while the Bucs have the worst coach next to his friend Herm Edwards...Would be more enjoyable if baker Mayfield would dress up as a pirate and do segments for Gaspar's rum or commercials for the stadium as his own Pirate ship, while the Skol Vikings should reconsider as I have said for seasons now that somewhere, sometime, eventually will choke again when the game matters most. This game does not matter at all, as the Buccaneers are already eliminated from playoff contention, so the Vikings win.

Packers @ DA BEARS I think a QB like Jordan Love needs a season or two riding the bench, clipboard and learning so that he can work out his deficits, and now we will see . Meanwhile, the new and improved Bears will field with a better team than last year, but pound for pound, I think Love will take the Pack a long way BUT most of the Pack will find their wins late in the season, while the bears at 5 to 7 wins total finds success early on but not down the stretch. Bears win at home this time, but lose later at Lambeau field.

Raiders @ BRONCOS This rivalry, these fans hate each other's team, and wow so many changes on both sides....This is a very difficult game to pick. A home, in Sean Peytons debut, vs Jimmy G Garrapollo ? The Horses are a fave so I am going with them.

MY FINZ @ SKID ROW CHARGERS The Homeless Chargers welcome all 5 of their fans and several curiosity seekers plus a few hundred homeless people to fill the folding seats at newly renovated William Booth Memorial Stadium. Meanwhile, I am seeing things on My Finz side that are not making me very optimistic this season.

-----------------------------A SUPER BOWL REMATCH ----------------------------------
EAGLES @ Patriots The Eagles begin their march back to the Super Bowl with a two time rematch with the Evil Patriots. The Patriots won the first one, Eagles the second. I predict a very defensive game, but in the end the Eagles defense scores more points than Bill O'Bozo's offense, while the Eagles offense will be held to about 10 total points by the Patriots.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Rams @ SEAHAWKS I am looking forward to seeing what future HOF Coach Pete Carroll does this year. The Rams, without Kupp, not so much.

COWBOYS @ New York Football Giants I so want to pick the Giants and so want them to win, but a Cowboys win here will go along way to setting up that inevitable late season crash which ill have us toasting with Catnip and Expensive Rum when it happens.

================================================== =====

Bill's Buffaloes @ LA GUARDIA JETS What a way to kick off Monday Night football between two division rivals, either one who could, at this point, be in the AFC Championship game in January. Both teams come in undefeated, and I think the Jets win at home with too many plays and adjustments that keep the Buffaloes chasing them for the night.

Well, there you have it . As always do not bet your pizza money on what I say. Also, if you are going to drink Rum, Sailor Jerry has artificial colors , toxic chemicals artificial flavors, unhealthy preservatives and synthesized alcohol (made from sugar and yeast) which tastes so bad , and which should not be consumed by anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 12:00 PM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Lions @ Chiefs

Panthers @ Falcons
Texans @ Ravens
Bengals @ Browns
Jaguars @ Colts
Buccaneers @ Vikings
Titans @ Saints
49ers @ Steelers
Cardinals @ Commanders

Packers @ Bears
Raiders @ Broncos
Dolphins @ Chargers
Eagles @ Patriots
Rams @ Seahawks

Cowboys @ Giants

Bills @ Jets

Old 09-05-2023, 02:55 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Last season: N/A.

Lions @ Chiefs. Never a good idea to pick against the reining champs at home week 1, or the Chiefs in general at Arrowhead in the Mahomes/Kelce/Reid era. However with Kelce out that's a big weapon down for Mahomes, Chiefs usually struggle the first month of the season before getting it's legs, and people are expecting big things from the Lions after a strong end to the season last year. I have the Chiefs once again finishing first in the West at 13-4, but losing to the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. I'm not as bullish on the Lions as most experts think. I have the Lions finishing 3rd in the North at 7-8, missing the playoffs completely. I'll get the rest of the week 1, and the rest of my season predictions later in the week.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:18 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Lions @ Chiefs. Never a good idea to pick against the reining champs at home week 1, or the Chiefs in general at Arrowhead in the Mahomes/Kelce/Reid era. However with Kelce out that's a big weapon down for Mahomes, Chiefs usually struggle the first month of the season before getting it's legs, and people are expecting big things from the Lions after a strong end to the season last year. I have the Chiefs once again finishing first in the West at 13-4, but losing to the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. I'm not as bullish on the Lions as most experts think. I have the Lions finishing 3rd in the North at 7-8, missing the playoffs completely. I'll get the rest of the week 1, and the rest of my season predictions later in the week.

Well.. That's impressive.

Either that or your math skills are very unimpressive.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Kelce hasn’t been ruled out as of now, probably a game time decision on whether he’ll play. Chiefs also have Noah Gray as a very capable TE.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:54 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Injury reports are out, Pack has 3 WR on theirs, leaving Toure only one with experience if Dobbs, Watson can't play. What a hoot! Want to change your picks? I'm all in, of course.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:45 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
2023 Season: 0-0

Week 1

Lions @ Chiefs

Panthers @ Falcons
Texans @ Ravens
Bengals @ Browns
Jaguars @ Colts
Buccaneers @ Vikings
Titans @ Saints
49ers @ Steelers
Cardinals @ Commanders

Packers @ Bears
Raiders @ Broncos
Dolphins @ Chargers
Eagles @ Patriots
Rams @ Seahawks

Cowboys @ Giants

Bills @ Jets

Time to defend the co-championship

Old 09-06-2023, 08:41 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
I'm going by which team has the best helmet again like I did in week 18 where I somehow ended up 12-4, since week 1 is pretty much luck.

Lions @ Chiefs

Chiefs: "The state of Texas on the team's helmet was replaced by a design originally sketched by Lamar Hunt on a napkin. Hunt's inspiration for the interlocking "KC" design was the "SF" inside of an oval on the San Francisco 49ers helmets."

OK, Chiefs fans. 3 things here.
#1 The logo is so lame it was sketched on a napkin? Might as well of used toilet paper & then used it to . . .
#2 You actually copied one of the most boring & lamest designs? If you're going to copy, then at least pick an exciting logo.
#3 You've stuck with this same, copied, napkin sketched logo since the 60s!!

Lions: William Ford had the design changed when he took over in 61. Helmet doesn't look a lot different, but at least they tried different things by changing trims & making some slight changes to the Lion, unlike the Chiefs who put forth zero effort.

Also, how did we get where we have Honolulu Blue Lions? NFL should force the animal adorned teams to have to use the animals colors. So Lions should be yellowish & brown. Bears black & brown etc.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:30 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Hello, everyone! I hope everyone had a great summer and looking forward to picking with you folks again this year! As usual, my picks in bold!

Lions @ Chiefs

Panthers @ Falcons
Texans @ Ravens
Bengals @ Browns
Jaguars @ Colts
Buccaneers @ Vikings
Titans @ Saints
49ers @ Steelers
Cardinals @ Commanders

Packers @ Bears
Raiders @ Broncos
Dolphins @ Chargers
Eagles @ Patriots
Rams @ Seahawks

Cowboys @ Giants

Bills @ Jets

Old 09-07-2023, 04:59 AM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
I'll go with the Chiefs tonight.

I'l make the rest of my picks later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football