Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There are some people who have been calling me Kathy for years, and they'd probably wonder why I'd never mentioned it before now.
i think there are ways to word it, where it would be fine... If you told me you've never really liked Kathy, but that you've let it go for years because you didn't want to make a fuss over something fairly trivial - but that over time it's started to bother you more, and you'd really prefer to be called Kathryn? I would immediately make the effort to switch, even if I'd known you for decades as Kathy.

Quote:
All of my husband's extended family calls me Kathy, even though he always refers to me as Kathryn. Seriously, you'd think they'd pick up on that after all the years we've been married.
If they ALL call you Kathy, then they may feel that Kathryn is your husband's special name for you.

It really is amazing what a loaded subject this is! You can seriously turn someone on - or turn them off - just based on what you name you call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
It happens all the time whenever you have a name that can easily be shortened.

Peter becomes Pete, James becomes Jim, Zachary becomes Zach, Elizabeth becomes Beth, or Liz

I think when people shorten names they do it to be friendly and more personel, not because they didn't hear you say your name.

Don't let it get to you so much! Nobody is trying to offend or upset you. Just gently remind them of your preference and I'm sure they'll do better the next time you see or talk to them

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's not Chunky. That's chunky Phil!
Ah, OK - the stripper-food thing...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times
My name is Michelle... I have an "uncle in-law" that called me Rachel for years.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
I can relate to that, shoot, before I changed departments my boss STILL couldn't get my name right; after seven months!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,967 times
Quote:
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn....
Hello Kat.
-Mathew

Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM

222 posts, read 419,627 times
No, I don't have that problem. I've never been called Kathy or Kathryn.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Default Why do you fight, Kathryn. Why do you fight?*

Quote:
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
Would you rather they called you "honey" or "sweetie?"

I'm not trying to belittle your concern, but if it's someone you are only going to interact with once, being peevish about it is wasted energy. Otherwise, take it upon yourself to say, with a genuine smile, "Please, do call me Kathryn." And try to inject some wit into it so they don't see you as, well, peevish.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
People screw up my name all the time. I'm just used to it. I even let them keep calling me the wrong name until they sometimes realize they called me the wrong name and profusely apologize.

And don't get me started on the spelling issue. Let's just say my name is not hard to spell, and my very Christian grandma cannot spell it, yet it is found in the Bible, multiple times.

Good grief.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
People screw up my name all the time. I'm just used to it. I even let them keep calling me the wrong name until they sometimes realize they called me the wrong name and profusely apologize.

And don't get me started on the spelling issue. Let's just say my name is not hard to spell, and my very Christian grandma cannot spell it, yet it is found in the Bible, multiple times.

Good grief.
I can relate, people are forever misspelling my name. My name has been spelled every way but the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology