Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain. Nobody seems to be able to figure out the concept of the silent "e" when it comes to my name. I have given up. If it's someone I rarely see or won't see again, I don't really care and answer to whatever they call me. However, I was pretty peeved that a former boss of two years could never get it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Opposite problem. My name is Jessie. Just Jessie. Not short for Jessica. My ENTIRE LIFE, people have INSISTED that my name is Jessica. Nope. Trust me, I know my name, and it's NOT Jessica. I'm not being coy. It's just NOT MY NAME.

I should legally change my name to "Just Jessie." Because that's what I'm FOREVER having to explain to people.

Then there's spelling it, once they get it figured out that it's NOT Jessica. I'm not Jessi, nor am I Jesse.
The opposite problem but when you get right down to it, the same one. Doesn't it just bug you to no end?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If they ALL call you Kathy, then they may feel that Kathryn is your husband's special name for you.
That explanation just doesn't fly with me. If I introduce myself as Kathryn or refer to myself as Kathryn, I think it should be a no-brainer that I would like to be called Kathryn.

Quote:
It really is amazing what a loaded subject this is! You can seriously turn someone on - or turn them off - just based on what you name you call them.
It probably doesn't even faze most people -- only the ones who experience it every day.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Hello Kat.
-Mathew
Hello, Matt. (My husband's name is Matt. )

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Would you rather they called you "honey" or "sweetie?"
They'll call me that over my dead body.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
nah the worst is when I order at Starbucks (or anywhere) and they ask for my name.

Cashier: And what's your name?
Me: Martin
Cashier: Alright that'll be $500 and your first born child
*minute or two later*
Barista: GOT A TALL CARAMEL MACHIATTO FOR MARK! MARK! TALL CARAMEL MACHIATTO FOR MARK!

Seriously, I think 80% of the time they hear "Mark" and not "Martin."

Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
how about people that refuse to spell your name the right way? i've been fighting that battle my whole life
Me too...I sometimes search "TKramer" to see if anyone directed a comment to me or about me, but misspelled my name.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
Yes, I hate when people call me "Brianne" but I guess I should feel lucky because half the time they call me Brit or Brittany when my name is Bri/Brianna. I think its a sign that the person doesn't really care and is discourteous and rude. Just call them some random dumb thing. If his name is Jim, call him Johnny. If it's Beth call her Brenda.. have fun with it!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Opposite problem. My name is Jessie. Just Jessie. Not short for Jessica. My ENTIRE LIFE, people have INSISTED that my name is Jessica. Nope. Trust me, I know my name, and it's NOT Jessica. I'm not being coy. It's just NOT MY NAME.

I should legally change my name to "Just Jessie." Because that's what I'm FOREVER having to explain to people.

Then there's spelling it, once they get it figured out that it's NOT Jessica. I'm not Jessi, nor am I Jesse.
My daughter has this problem too. She is Jessye. When she was in school, teacher would put on her paper Jessie, Jessi, Jesse, but never Jessye. She has to spell her name to everyone.

My name, Donie, everyone wants to call me Dona. I have to correct them right away and say no, it's Donie.

Kathryn, you should have corrected your husband's family years ago on being called Kathryn and not Kathy. It's probably too late in that case but when you meet new people, correct them right away. My kids and I always have to do that. It's not rude if you say it in a nice or joking voice.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
I don't understand what is so difficult about saying, "I prefer to be called Kathryn" after someone calls you Kate. People aren't mind readers, and they aren't out to get you when they address you by a diminutive version of your name. Why get all bent out of shape about it, unless your life is going so well this is your only source of complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology