Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Joshua is my full name, I always introduce myself as Josh. My profile has my name as Josh. It doesn't bother me honestly.

Of all the names I've been called though, God is probably my favorite.

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
I've been called Tim, Tom, Jim, Terry, Mike...

I'd rather be addressed by my last name, but I'm sure people could get that wrong too. As a matter of fact, as long as the right name is on the check, that's all I care about.

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
At least they call you by SOME name! I agree it's not acceptable, though.

Have you noticed how many people don't address you by your name at all?! I know my Mom was doing it deliberately with Grandma because she didn't want to call her Mom (which was the custom back home). I've always wondered about those people... I'm pretty sure I read about this as being a very subtle symptom of NPD. I don't know about that, but it's certainly a sign of disrespect.

Before somebody tells me I don't address them by their names on the forum (because I'd like to), pick a darn moniker you can be addressed by!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
"hon" or "sweetie" works fine for me.

I seem to remember a commercial where the waitress had a nickname for a number of her customers, and it was a different one for each.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM

165 posts, read 588,972 times
If you introduce yourself that way, I cant imagine why anyone would call you something different????? I had a boyfriend named William. He told everyone his name was William and I called him William. I could not believe the people that called him Willy. He hated it and so did I, so I kinda feel your pain. :0) I can see someone asking you, do you go by Kathy.....but then once you say no, why would they continue to call you that?????? Good luck Kathryn!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Quote:
I'd correct anyone who called you by Kathy - whether or not the interaction was expected to be brief or extended - and do it quickly. And if it takes repeated times, so be it. And just keep doing it, as long as it takes for them to get it.

You can't change the world, and most of the world thinks nicknames and shortened names are a sign of intimacy - so it's actually a nice impulse on their part, when they shorten your name. All you can do is continue to correct people who call you be the wrong name...

Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I seem to remember a commercial where the waitress had a nickname for a number of her customers, and it was a different one for each.
That was a funny commercial!

I get called a multitude of names - Philip, Phil, Sifu, Sensei, Doctor Phil, Phillipe (one of my faves), Fubert, Philly Phil, Phillatio and Lord High Exalted Master - but I think it depends upon the intent of the speaker. If they're a friend or associate and I don't mind that name, no harm done. But if it grated on me then I would certainly tell them to knock it off.

It also depends upon the venue - if I worked as a bank manager, being called Philly Phil would probably not sit well with me nor would it be professional in that setting. But the same name used by a close friend while we're out drinking and busting chops, while perhaps a bit embarrassing, would be tolerable.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,230 times
Quote:
how about people that refuse to spell your name the right way? i've been fighting that battle my whole life

Old 04-12-2011, 04:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That was a funny commercial!

I get called a multitude of names - Philip, Phil, Sifu, Sensei, Doctor Phil, Phillipe (one of my faves), Fubert, Philly Phil, Phillatio and Lord High Exalted Master - but I think it depends upon the intent of the speaker. If they're a friend or associate and I don't mind that name, no harm done. But if it grated on me then I would certainly tell them to knock it off.
Chunky Phil!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology