Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Joshua is my full name, I always introduce myself as Josh. My profile has my name as Josh. It doesn't bother me honestly.
My husbands name is Josh/Joshua and -rarely, but it does happen- gets Jack or John. But not consistently from the same people. They're corrected once and don't make the mistake again. LUCKY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
ok, so 'sue' isnt my real name but people DO shorten my nickname (or even full, given name) to something much shorter.

there are few people who I allow to get away with it. mostly family. anyone else who does it, i pick a random name and call them it. eventually they say something and ill say 'well, 'X' isnt my name, but you keep calling me it, so i thought it was ok just to assign random names to people. '

once i do that, they never do it again

Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
People don't have to be mind readers-they just have to LISTEN. And trust me correcting them does nothing 75% of the time.
Ok, I guess in your case it's better to kick, scream, cry and pout like a baby. I'm sure that solves everything.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
They're not mind-readers? Well, duh... I'm not expecting anybody to read my mind. When I say, "Hi. I'm Kathryn, and I was calling about..." and five minutes later they say, "Well, we'll get back to you within a few days, Kathy," it's not mind-reading gone wrong. It's lack of common courtesy. They were obviously listening well enough to not call me Rachel or Angela. They just assumed they knew what I wanted to be called better than I did.

My life is actually going quite well, thank you. I have few complaints. It's just that this happens to be constantly. It's getting old, so I'm just venting. Ever do that?

I feel your pain. I have a similar name and encounter the same thing. Sometimes I ignore it, but in situations where I know that I'll be communicating with them on a regular basis in the future (such as a new business acquaintance) I will gently correct them by saying "My friends call me Kathryn".

In social situations, my husband gets more offended by it than I do. He will sometimes correct people right away saying something like "Her name is Kathryn, not Kathy, are you deaf?" LOL. I love him!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
My daughter has this problem too. She is Jessye. When she was in school, teacher would put on her paper Jessie, Jessi, Jesse, but never Jessye. She has to spell her name to everyone.
Well, why in the world did YOU have to spell it this way (because your daughter's problem didn't come out of the blue, right; you brought it onto her)...?! Just so it's "unique"?!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, why in the world did YOU have to spell it this way (because your daughter's problem didn't come out of the blue, right; you brought it onto her)...?! Just so it's "unique"?!
Of course! My son has a unique name too as do I. I don't nor my kids have any problems telling people how to spell our first names since we have to spell our last names too.

Last edited by donie1; 04-13-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
This thread is funny..my name is Kenna...but it is pronounced like KEENA....people pronounce it wrong (think Ken and then Na) and I honestly could care less. They also spell it wrong too. Many times I get official letters that say Keena...I don't care!

The worst name offense happened last year...I recently got divorced and I changed my last back to my maiden name. One of my friends INSISTED on calling me by my previous last name when I told her I had already legally changed my name back to my maiden name...her response...."I like your old last name better" wtf....wth..wt$@%#%#^#^... imagine how I felt...LOL! ARGH! My old last name sounded "exotic" I suppose but I was no longer married!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Ok, I guess in your case it's better to kick, scream, cry and pout like a baby. I'm sure that solves everything.
Why are you assuming I do that? haha what a totally pointless personal attack out of nowhere.

I just think telling someone something and expecting them to read your mind are actually opposites, not the same at all. How immature of me.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
All I want to know is, is it just me? Am I overly-sensitive or what? My name is Kathryn. I always, always, always introduce myself as Kathryn. When I'm doing business with people and give them my name, I say it's Kathryn. When I call people on the phone and leave a message, I say that it's Kathryn calling. It doesn't seem to matter one single solitary bit to most people. At least half of them simply assume that I want to be called Kathy. I hate the name Kathy. Yes, I know I can always correct them. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It kind of depends upon whether I expect our interaction to be a brief one or an extended one. My beef with this is that I don't see why I should have to do that. If I tell people my name, it shouldn't be all that much to ask to expect them to call me by that name. Do other people have this problem?
Uhm no... since most people can't say my name(Spanish) I usually give them the English version.

And if someone mispronounces my name I correct them and problem solved..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have been with my husband for over 20 yrs. My mother n law has this way of saying my name that drives me nuts. My name is Tori. She says it like Tawwwry. I have never had anyone pronounce it like it is filled with 3 W's. She also has a nasal way of speaking so that adds to it. My married name ends with a Y. Of course I don't want to say what it is on here but it sounds just like how it's spelled. Almost everyone wants to pronounce it like it has an ie at the end. My husband has complained about this his whole life. Funny though, we relocated to a new state 3 yrs ago and most people here actually pronounce it correctly.

As far as people shortening your name, I would correct them in a friendly polite upbeat way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology