Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times

Advertisements

The Road Less Traveled by Scott Peck discussed this in the 80s.
He discussed with the metaphor of roadmaps.
Many people look at their experiences through high school as their map for life, that's all that they think they can expect.
If you go to college, travel, have greater and self-fulfilling life experiences, you can expand your map.

Same personality as high school for me, heavens no.
For a lot of posters in the relationship folder, perhaps grammar school is more accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The Road Less Traveled by Scott Peck discussed this in the 80s.
He discussed with the metaphor of roadmaps.
Many people look at their experiences through high school as their map for life, that's all that they think they can expect.
If you go to college, travel, have greater and self-fulfilling life experiences, you can expand your map.

Same personality as high school for me, heavens no.
For a lot of posters in the relationship folder, perhaps grammar school is more accurate.
I'd say that I have the same personality - but it's grown and deepened over the years. I sort of look at it like I've been the same lake - I just had no idea where the bottom was. And I still don't! Life's a journey and we change all the time - all of our experiences leave traces on who we are. But I'm still the same goofball I was when I was a little kid! That will never change! And my mom said that she knew even when I was a little girl that I'd end up living far from home. So she wasn't surprised when I went to college far from home and when I ended up living even farther away after college.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,589,547 times
I think I have a similiar personality as I had in high school, I only graduated in 2008, not too long ago

As far as self esteem is concerned, I feel a lot more confident about myself and have very different views about life than I did when I was in high school

Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,310,164 times
I would say even earlier than that, this reminds me of a Baudelaire essay called "the psychology of toys". It's been a few years since I've read it. If I can bring it up on google i'll hyperlink it.

I think the only thing that could change your personality is a quite traumatic event. It all comes back down to environment and influence.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,835,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have heard this statistic. The one that says 85% of your personality and self-esteem are determined by the time you finish high school. I see it in my friends. They are just grown-up versions of what I knew in high school or college. Their responses to things, situations and crises are as predictable as when they were 18. Went to my 20-year high school reunion. No changes, except that some were a little humbled by having life kick them in the a$$.

What's your thought? Do you have any examples or opinions on this?
if this were true, I would have killed myself and been dead by now....but I'm obviously not, so....

Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post
I believe it... I think a lot of my difficulties in my personal life stem from the rejection and horrible teasing I experienced in high school. You couldn't pay me to go to a high school reunion.
Same here, but that was so long ago that I'm pretty sure that I act quite differently even if my essential "me" is the same. If anyone thinks I do still act the same way as I did then I would probably just go shoot myself right then, lol.

No really though, the universe has a way of evening out life's errors--I was a high school drop-out b/c I just couldn't handle it and now I spend a full day teaching and tutoring in all the subjects, which means I had to go back and learn all the stuff I missed way back when, and I have to try to cajole kids with all the same emotional problems that I had. You just really can't get out of it. That reminds me--I need to go try to talk my dd into showing me how to balance chemical equations.

Oh, so the answer to the OP is no, in my case my personality and self-esteem were not locked in and life is still getting better. Maybe I'm lucky I wasn't one of the popular ones.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 AM

545 posts, read 1,556,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have heard this statistic. The one that says 85% of your personality and self-esteem are determined by the time you finish high school. I see it in my friends. They are just grown-up versions of what I knew in high school or college. Their responses to things, situations and crises are as predictable as when they were 18. Went to my 20-year high school reunion. No changes, except that some were a little humbled by having life kick them in the a$$.

What's your thought? Do you have any examples or opinions on this?
Really self-esteem too? What about someone who had found success after high school and therefore had increased his self-esteem?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Really self-esteem too? What about someone who had found success after high school and therefore had increased his self-esteem?
That's why this is open for discussion...for reasons like the one you mention above.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,015,955 times
Personality is pretty much set by age 5 and locked in by age 12. Self esteem can wax and wane throughout your entire life.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Personality is pretty much set by age 5 and locked in by age 12. Self esteem can wax and wane throughout your entire life.
Check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology