Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
No, therapy heals the spirit. Please cite the study that says 'most never find a happy life and decent career and it's not for lack of trying... the feeling of worthlessness is too overwhelming and no amount of love and caring can take it away'. Some people seek help and some don't but it is no different than a heart disease. If you let it progress it will kill you, but if you treat it, it heals.

Sometimes therapapy heals the spirit sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the individual..they must want to truly face the past..talk through it, and want help.

Denial is truly a terrible thing..some people say "the past is the past." Well when someone lives in denial, he/she will never have a future..most people take it out in different ways. However, the most common is anger..deniel will eat at someones soul and he/she will ever be happy. Or it will come out in addiction, or other personality disorders.

I've told some of my friends to get help..they still live in denial and they will never live the life they deserve..it's sad really. But sometimes they don't see how dysfunctional they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Exscapegoat,
good for you for keeping up with facing the past, its hard work but sounds like progress for you.

I was amazed this woman imagined her deceased parents as 'godlike authorities'. I assumed most got over that delusion once they got to age 20.
Well, if parents admit being human/fallible, it's probably a lot easier. If they deny their own actions/behaviors, it can mess with the target's perception of reality. Even with a sibling as a witness, my mother will still deny things. One of the reasons family scapegoats get into trouble in dysfunctional families is because they insist on "truth telling". Which isn't so popular among dysfunctional families. Often, the choice is go along with the parent(s)'s reality or be case out of the family. In the long run, it's healthier to get away from such people, but it can take a lot of time/effort

Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Sometimes therapapy heals the spirit sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the individual..they must want to truly face the past..talk through it, and want help.

Denial is truly a terrible thing..some people say "the past is the past." Well when someone lives in denial, he/she will never have a future..most people take it out in different ways. However, the most common is anger..deniel will eat at someones soul and he/she will ever be happy. Or it will come out in addiction, or other personality disorders.

I've told some of my friends to get help..they still live in denial and they will never live the life they deserve..it's sad really. But sometimes they don't see how dysfunctional they are.

Or projection: as in, if she was a 'black sheep" she would constantly follow this theme if I was dioscussing other people, i.e a friend. (She couldnt comprehend any thing ouside her own little realm of experience)

According to the person in my example, she really had no self-awarenesss, and I find this sad, esp. at an advanced age.

It prolly does explain her isolation, and lack of friends though

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Or projection: as in, if she was a 'black sheep" she would constantly follow this theme if I was dioscussing other people, i.e a friend. (She couldnt comprehend any thing ouside her own little realm of experience)

According to the person in my example, she really had no self-awarenesss, and I find this sad, esp. at an advanced age.

It prolly does explain her isolation, and lack of friends though

True...(sorry about the mis- spelling)..

I also believe that what people believe to be true does come true...if you believe you are a loser..well you will become a loser...

Everyone has a cross to bear..if she was a victim of sexual abuse though..well her cross will be quite heavy...

Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
True...(sorry about the mis- spelling)..

I also believe that what people believe to be true does come true...if you believe you are a loser..well you will become a loser...

Everyone has a cross to bear..if she was a victim of sexual abuse though..well her cross will be quite heavy...
Re "Sexual abuse, she wasn't. If that were the case, it is a different realm of reality, and I wouldnt judge at all...

I felt she lost alot of potential growth by defending deceased parents (from over 40 years ago) It was very sad. Her parents were verbally abusive, and her father had untreated PTSD.

Denial is the refusal to acknowledge the existence or severity of unpleasant external realities or internal thoughts and feelings.

Read more: Denial - children, therapy, adults, examples, person, people, used, personality, theory Denial - children, therapy, adults, examples, person, people, used, personality, theory

Anna Freud published some excellent theories on this, it is relevant even today.

Of course, Jung tells us to give in to many/all needs for pleasure, which is rather interesting, but ephemeral in real life.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
My childhood was far from perfect. My parents could be controlling and my Dad had periodic rage-attacks. (I ran away from home 3 times as a teenager.)...But we had good times too and a strong bond that always brought us back together...During my 30's I processed my "leftover anger" from the past. I "blew" it all "out!" (I cussed and cursed and worked hard to get it out of my system the best I could.)...And in the end I felt more accepting and forgiving towards my parents...Yes they made mistakes when I was growing-up. But I realized that I made mistakes all along the way too. (Even with my own kids.)...Everyone who speaks fondly about their parents isn't necessarily in denial. Some people have worked hard to deal with their old anger so they could put it behind them and "heal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology