Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 PM

30 posts, read 31,593 times

Advertisements

You are very welcome. I want to thank all of you for taking the time to read & post. keep your opinions rolling .. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,069 times
Sometimes it is hard to tell if what someone is stating is a fact or an opinion. Many times people put their opinion across as fact, and that essentially ends any productive conversation!
'
good topic!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Many times people put their opinion across as fact, and that essentially ends any productive conversation!
LOL. that is JMO

Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM

Lol... thanks for your comment. People can give their opinions and they should not turn them into demands of any sort.

Last edited by bofspringfield; 07-21-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: short

Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I think as we get older we begin to succumb to our insecurities more. Our bodies and even our minds become more frail and therefore as a defense mechanism we become more brittle and entrenched in our worldview.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
I think some people become "set" in their "ways" and more and more "rigid" as they grow older. And other people become more "mellow" with age...I'm 63 now and I've become more "peace-loving." Geez I don't want to fight over every little thing. Why?...When I was younger I was more inclined to get involved in debates. (All kinds of debates!) Today I have more of a "live and let live" philosophy about life. I try to save my energy for "fun times" or issues that seem really important to me. But I'm old enough (now) to realize that the world is full of "diverse opinions."

Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Shizzle..But shouldn't age give us wisdom? Therefore, making us a little mature when giving our opinions or receiving them? I am just saying.. I am far from frail..lol and love to debate...but when someone cant get their opinion across without being rude and abusive then theres a problem, I refuse to be mistreated, because someone is insecure about their lack of intelligence when giving an opinion. Lol

Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 PM

CArizona I agree with your "live and let live" motto (: as long as our actions don't cause others harm...hey live life..this is your only one. A lot of people giving opinions in our life are people who are paying way too much attention to our lives and not enough to theirs. I mean an opinion should be given when asked. Of course this would be one of those instances. (:

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
bofspringfield...Thanks for your posts and insights...I think some people want to be a "big fish" in their "small pond." They want to stay on "top" and be the "boss" and the ultimate and supreme "authority!"...Anyone who dares to challenge them in any way is going to get "shot-down!" And turned into "mincemeat!"...It's no fun to be friends with a "dictator!" There is no sense of equality or fairness. Or even spontaneity!.. Any little thing can "light" their "fuse" and "set" them "off!" What seems "innocent" to us may trigger "World War 3" to a person like this!..They tend to interpret everything "literally." And there's no telling what they might consider a "personal afront" or a "grievous crime!"...It can be kind of spooky! It's as if they have "shadows" and goblins and ghosts lurking in every corner! (Major "paranoia!")...They think everyone is out to "get them" or "dethrone them" or make them look "stupid" or ??...Have you ever noticed any of this? I sure have! Some people seem ready to "snap" over the slightest little thing.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Thank you for your posting. I definitely can relate. This person was more of a narcissist I believe, where her opinions had to reign and others would get shot down. This person wanted to be looked at as "perfect" and was "brilliant" enough to fool others into agreeing with her just so that they didnt have to confront her about anything because she would "snap" if they disagreed with her. I mean scary....to even be around when anything debatable came up.:-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology