Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofspringfield View Post
As men grow older, their opinions, like their diseases, grow chronic.- Josh Billings

Opinion: a belief of conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge. opinion - definition of opinion by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

One of the reasons, why some may become angry at someone else's difference of opinion, may go back to an experience they may have suffered through when they shared their values and truth and they were crushed and/or ignored. Some have were even punished for sharing their values and opinions. Creating aggressive adults. As adults, they become stuck in a time lapse, their unconscious mind remembers what occurred occurred when in the past they shared their opinions and how it brought conflict. People, who become overly aggressive are just gearing themselves up to defend their truth. Some may even become abusive as their attempting to deflect away and throw you off topic. Fighting and Arguing – Finding common ground with a partner, friends and family

I dealt with this, this weekend. I was wondering why my nephew, was acting defensively, before he vocalised his opinion.
Holy cow. This explains a lot of the people that post on C-D (and I don't mean that as a jab. I've been truly perplexed as to why there seems to be so many angry and argumentative people online).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
bofspringfield...Sorry about your negative experiences. Some people do seem to become "mentally unbalanced" at times when it comes to their beliefs and always being "right!" Spooky!!.. As my son likes to say: "Watch your back!" "Look out!"

Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM

707 posts, read 687,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Sometimes it is hard to tell if what someone is stating is a fact or an opinion. Many times people put their opinion across as fact, and that essentially ends any productive conversation!
'
good topic!
Sometimes they state something as "common knowledge" and present it as fact.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM

30 posts, read 31,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Sometimes they state something as "common knowledge" and present it as fact.
Very true. If it were common knowledge, then it wouldn't be an opinion and we would be aware of the topic that is something of "common knowledge" .. It wouldn't and shouldn't turn into a heated debate.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
bofspringfield...Sorry about your negative experiences. Some people do seem to become "mentally unbalanced" at times when it comes to their beliefs and always being "right!" Spooky!!.. As my son likes to say: "Watch your back!" "Look out!"
Yes ma'am. I have eyes in the back of my head haha but I do attempt to stay away from beings of such character.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Holy cow. This explains a lot of the people that post on C-D (and I don't mean that as a jab. I've been truly perplexed as to why there seems to be so many angry and argumentative people online).
Yes its amazing how people take others opinions about certain topics so personal.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I get "upset" (not really upset, more perturbed) because an opinion should be a gateway for conversation.

Most times opinions are stated or believed to be facts; they aren't. They are beliefs.

People then try to pass off their baseless opinions as fully formed, intelligent, researched arguments.

In short, parroting ideas and opinions (especially other's) instead of battling with a topic at hand really gets under my skin.

It may sound mean, but those who just have opinions are best keeping their thoughts to themselves.

...and that's just my opinion.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Harhar very true an opinion isn't concrete facts to whatever the discussion might be. Its just that an "opinion ". Lol the irony :-)

Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
"Don't 'go there.' That's a 'taboo subject.' Don't bring 'this' or 'that' up either! "...It's hard to grow close to someone when so many topics are "off limits."...If one of these topics do come up there is "hell to pay" for daring to mention them! These topics are supposed to remain "walled-off" and kept at "bay."...My older son went through a period of being this way. He tried to surround himself with "yes people" and "brown nosers." But he wasn't always successful at it because his friends could be pretty opinionated and "outspoken!" (Like he was himself.)... My son wanted to pretend that he was "fine." He didn't want to do any self-examination. Everyone was expected to "say" what he wanted to "hear" and avoid topics that might "expose" his hidden insecurities or "unfinished business" from the past...He definitely wanted to stay "in control." Anyone who dared to "step" out of "line" got "crossed off" his list! They became his "enemy!"...I'm glad my son finally came "down to earth" the year before he died and came to terms with everything he tried so hard to "hide" and "avoid" for so many years...When I'm around people who expect me to "protect" their ego and "keep mum" about certain topics I think about my son and how he tried to surround himself with "yes people" and "brown nosers" for so many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology