Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
She is also a member of MENSA. If you are not familiar with such I suggest Googling it.

As far as our standing within the upper income neighborhood that we reside in is concerned, I hold court at my home in the form of large gatherings of neighbors, family and friends. We have a very large in ground pool where, in our bathing suits, we expose our art to everyone there.

Trust me when I say there are more professionals like us that are tattooed then you know about, but then again you also have to run in our social set and income strata to know that so I certainly don't blame you for your ignorance.

I'm a member of Mensa myself and I think tattoos are ugly and that the proliferation of them is indicative of a herd mentality.
What was your point again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,586 times
Look around. Everyone between 20-40 have tats. They aren't going anywhere. This reminds me of 50 years ago when everyone said Rock was a fad. And Rap was a fad. It's not a fad just because you don't like it.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:15 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoth View Post
Look around. Everyone between 20-40 have tats. They aren't going anywhere. This reminds me of 50 years ago when everyone said Rock was a fad. And Rap was a fad. It's not a fad just because you don't like it.
It's a little different than that. I'd compare it to the platform shoes and bell-bottoms fad.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Meh. I knew regular suburban headed-off-to-college kids getting tattoos when I was turning 18. That was 18 years ago, and many of my friends (between 35 and 45ish, mostly well-educated moms, some with their own businesses, none on drugs or on welfare or in prison) are still getting tattoos. I think it's more along the lines of coloring your hair or wearing makeup. Except it's more permanent. Most people that I know, myself included, put a lot of thought into getting exactly what they want; I do know a few who just walked into tattoo studios and had one done spur-of-the-moment. I'm pretty sure this "fad" is here to stay. It's really nothing new!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Haven't you noticed the malevolence fad that came through in the 1990's? Cars were designed with snarling faces, products were given names like "Avenger" and "Crusher" and "Eliminator"...

Would you really like to get down?
Al's Rantlets

S
You are entitled to your opinion.

And ode to '90s malevolence. Behold the aesthetics.

(on the left)

Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
The whole attitude about tattoos being for lowlifes is irrelevant today. Asking about the psychology of getting tattoos is very much the same as asking about the psychology of women wearing pants in the 1960s. Was it becoming popular? Yes. Was it contrary to traditional values? Certainly. Did proper women do such things? Certainly not.

Really there are any number of reasons a person might have tattoos. I have several myself, and the reasoning ranges from one that I got when I was a teenager bored on my lunchbreak, to my most recent one that was partially a freehand that I had done in Europe.

I'm proud of all my tattoos, including the ones I've been thinking about inking over for a bigger and better one.

Frankly I wonder about the psychology behind a person thinking that there must be some negative psychological reason for people to get tattoos.

I don't think that, However, more people still do not have tattoos than do.

I wish someone would answer the OPs question "what type of person is more likely to apply a permanent decoration to their body, and why?"

Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think that, However, more people still do not have tattoos than do.

I wish someone would answer the OPs question "what type of person is more likely to apply a permanent decoration to their body, and why?"
Well, speaking only for myself ...

I consider myself to be a person who isn't concerned much with what others think of me. Obviously, I have to have some concern, as long as I need to work for others, so for that reason I have tattoos that can be covered in professional situations. In general though, other people's opinions of me, aside from close friends and family, doesn't enter into my decision making. I know where I stand on things, I try to be a good person, try to live my life for myself, but with my loved ones' best interests at heart, and that's good enough for me.

I also am a "life is short" sort. I don't stress about the permanence of a tattoo, because life is not permanent and neither is the body.

Likewise, I don't worry about getting a tattoo and regretting it later, because I look at that tattoo and see it as a marker of where I was mentally at that time. I see mistakes as life lessons and try not to dwell on them. Tattoos or relationships.

Because of the reasons listed above, I don't consider body art to be too far removed from the collection of art in the home -- I'd just rather wear it than nail it up on my wall, you could say. One of my tattoos is direct work done by my oldest son (he did the artwork, a tattoo artist just transferred it to my skin) and I have another planned that was created and designed by him. I see it as a personal way to celebrate my son's art, which I've always admired.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I have a small tat on the top inner part of my left forearm. I personally love it. I thought I would hate it when I got it but it becomes a part of you sometimes in a way that's good. It's small enough that if I got it removed it wouldn't be any big deal. I knew that when I got it. In 20 years I might have it removed. I have the means to do so so it isn't any big thing I stress about. I think you have to walk into the commitment of getting a tat asking yourself about the size and if you have the means/ability to remove it, as well as body placement. If you have all of these conversations beforehand it shouldn't be a difficult issue. I could never get the huge back-covering tats or anything major but that's just me. Angelina Jolie can because she is a multimillionaire and has access to the very best. You have to admit you aren't an uber-rich celeb and simply get what you can reasonably afford to keep/maintain/remove. Anything else is pretty foolish.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 AM

319 posts, read 612,390 times
I love it when pseudo Intellectuals, point / counter point.

Even really smart people can be petty.....

Patton360, WTF are you doing to advance the conversation? Nothing.

Please move over to the, "I'm feeling like a bitchy sniper forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033
She is also a member of MENSA. If you are not familiar with such I suggest Googling it.

As far as our standing within the upper income neighborhood that we reside in is concerned, I hold court at my home in the form of large gatherings of neighbors, family and friends. We have a very large in ground pool where, in our bathing suits, we expose our art to everyone there.

Trust me when I say there are more professionals like us that are tattooed then you know about, but then again you also have to run in our social set and income strata to know that so I certainly don't blame you for your ignorance.

I'm a member of Mensa myself and I think tattoos are ugly and that the proliferation of them is indicative of a herd mentality.
What was your point again?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Of course they are! I've heard this same refrain about people who do drugs, drink excessively, are into sadomasochism, you name it. It's always the same, since someone comes forward and says they personally know the salt of the earth type of people who engage in these endeavors and you could never meet more upright, professional people.
Reading an awful lot into what I posted, aincha? I don't think I"ve ever used the term "salt of the earth" - it's rather patronizing. Kinda like your post, come to think of it.

I know a lot of scummy people with tattoos. I know a lot of good people with them. See above mention of "wide swathe." You can't generalize about the character of people with tattoos because there are far too many of them. I merely pointed out that most of the people I know who have tattoos are educated professionals, and to add to that, I know a lot of different people.

I do think you can generalize about the people on here who are generalizing about people with tattoos though. I'm seeing some consistent themes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology