Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:56 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

You probably know someone that you can describe as boring. We like to think that boring is some type of inherent trait that the person is born with.

So what makes someone boring and someone else not boring? Does the boring person know that they are boring? Or is it just a perception based on the standpoint of the observer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
I'd rather be boring than a moron that labels others. Fact is we can't expect everyone to be like us, and some people are more introverted, that doesn't make them boring, it's just they way they are.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Someone who just doesn't think very much, who is seemingly not interested/curious about the world beyond their own immediate existence.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,870 times
One quote I like is: "A bore isn't someone who tells you nothing; it is the one who tells you Everything."

I keep this in mind when telling stories.

For a police report you'd want to put down every minute detail, but for the average person give a quick synopsis and then add details when there is interest or questions.

If someone shows no interest, change the topic or just stop talking.

Hello?

Are you still there.................

Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Someone that makes the same mistake, the same bad choices for decades
and whines about their terrible life...or job, or dates, or weight, or parents that ruined
their lives, or spouse or every restaurant, or every clerk...whatever...never changes, never goes to therapy, never listens to friends...boooorrring.

Change already, try a new tactic, stop blaming.....something!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I'd rather be boring than a moron that labels others.
Fact is we can't expect everyone to be like us, and some people are more introverted, that
doesn't make them boring, it's just they way they are.
Isn't moron a label?
No one said being introverted was boring...an introverted person can be so polite,
helpful and kind with many many interests. They may not want to be as social, bec
they have so much going on inside and can be good listeners.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 PM

166 posts, read 278,472 times
I think I'm a really boring person. I have friends and we go out a lot, but I spend the majority of my time looking at news online and writing in forums. My friends always complain when I send them a link of what I'm doing.

"Seriously, is all you do is read and write? You are sooo friggeen boring!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
I think I'm a really boring person. I have friends and we go out a lot,
but I spend the majority of my time looking at news online and writing in forums.
My friends always complain when I send them a link of what I'm doing.

"Seriously, is all you do is read and write? You are sooo friggeen boring!
I didn't know if you were kidding, but this was very honest of you.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 PM

367 posts, read 697,586 times
Someone who does nothing.Sits at home. Doesn't interact with people. Isn't well rounded. Stuck in a time warp.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
One quote I like is: "A bore isn't someone who tells you nothing; it is the one who tells you Everything."

I keep this in mind when telling stories.

For a police report you'd want to put down every minute detail, but for the average person give a quick synopsis and then add details when there is interest or questions.

If someone shows no interest, change the topic or just stop talking.

Hello?

Are you still there.................
This is an excellent point. You wouldn't even notice somebody who was always quiet, did things as expected, even though he would not be interesting to think about either. Others might find this person more cold and standoffish than boring. To be truly boring requires more effort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology