Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 08:16 PM

107 posts, read 123,076 times

Advertisements

Well, if you consider that humans of about a hundred years old have seen more change in their single life time then ALL of humanity before them, that's bound to have a psychological impact on some, more then others. Humans just are not used to such rapid change and it's getting worse. It's also a fact that as the population continues to grow every individual becomes less significant in society. The value of oneself becomes more meaningless. This can lead to dispare and depression. The more insignificant one becomes the less control you have over your destiny. So yea, depression is the real deal.
But some of you are correct, we have yet to design the perfect medication for brain chemical imbalance. Same goes for all the other sister diseases such as psychosis.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,948,272 times
Researchers Debunk Psychiatry's 'Chemical Imbalance' Ads — MFIPortal

Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 PM

527 posts, read 688,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
Well I find it funny than how trolling sparks a productive discussion of 7 pages in less than 24 hours. I'm not much into internet labeling but I can assure you I am not a plastic toy with colored hair and a jewel on my belly.
Please find something better to do with your time than victimize people with a clinical condition. That's disgusting.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:13 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times
Depression is a real condition, not one for others to scoff at.

Just like arthritis---I've had rheumatoid arthritis for ~ 30 years, and had to endure much disdain, disbelief, mockery, etc. You're too young to have arthritis, you need to exercise more, its all in your head, etc.

Also, recently I was diagnosed with depression. Funny, I really didn't feel "depressed", but, feeling depressed isn't necessiarly a symptom of depression I'd lost my balance, or sense or orientation. I literally couldn't walk more than 10 ft without "circling'.....when I was dx with depression and placed on meds, my sense of balance came back.

After battling a chronic disease for 30+ years, its bound to take its toll on one, physically and mentally. Am I taking the "easy way out"? Well, why not, if it works. Better than endlessly chasing someone else's ideas of what I should do---go swimmming, go to therapy, take vit A-Z. get religion, then, if it doesn't work, its because I didn't want it to work. Look, if I have a health condition that's seriously affecting my ability to live a productive, quality life, and there's something out there that can help, why am I the "weak person" for using it?

Just like I have high blood pressure, which is well under control with metoprolol. Sure, I do the other "good stuff" too, like watch diet, exercise, etc, but its important to maintain my BP on a consistent basis, and if the meds help, I'm not apologizing for it!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 PM

In each case you described (arthritis, depression, high blood pressure), you are choosing to treat (mask, really) symptoms. You are not addressing the underlying cause of each condition. In the case of arthritis, it could be unprocessed rage (Louise Hay). If you don't care to go deeper, just keep popping pills.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In each case you described (arthritis, depression, high blood pressure), you are choosing to treat (mask, really) symptoms. You are not addressing the underlying cause of each condition. In the case of arthritis, it could be unprocessed rage (Louise Hay). If you don't care to go deeper, just keep popping pills.

See, this is exactly the attitudes I've encountered over the years. The underlying cause, in my case, is genetic. Regardless, there is no cure for any of those conditions, but there is treatment, which I access. Maintaining a healthy BP has probably prevented me from having a stroke, keeping the RA under control allows me to maintain my mobility, etc.

If I am feeling any "uncontrolled rage" its at people like you who think you know everything about someone else's medical condition. Truly you don't know $hit

Old 03-02-2014, 12:08 AM

I give up. I honestly have trouble understanding people who cannot comprehend core issues versus symptoms, but since it is consensus thinking which is the predominant thought pattern in the U.S., I guess my words just sound like gobbledygook.

I contribute to these threads with the hope that someone might "get it" and might try something different, but I see I am wasting my time.

It's seems sad to me, but if you prefer your illnesses and medications, that if your prerogative.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,992,985 times
Quote:
I give up. I honestly have trouble understanding people who cannot comprehend core issues versus symptoms, but since it is consensus thinking which is the predominant thought pattern in the U.S., I guess my words just sound like gobbledygook.

I contribute to these threads with the hope that someone might "get it" and might try something different, but I see I am wasting my time.

It's seems sad to me, but if you prefer your illnesses and medications, that if your prerogative.
Well that's what we all do here. No one guaranteed you would be successful just for trying.

Quote:
In the case of arthritis, it could be unprocessed rage (Louise Hay). If you don't care to go deeper, just keep popping pills.
No we don't care to go deeper.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 03-02-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 AM

417 posts, read 869,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Please find something better to do with your time than victimize people with a clinical condition. That's disgusting.
That's exactly what I am not doing, people are victimizing themselves.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,599,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Depression is a real condition, not one for others to scoff at.

Just like arthritis---I've had rheumatoid arthritis for ~ 30 years, and had to endure much disdain, disbelief, mockery, etc. You're too young to have arthritis, you need to exercise more, its all in your head, etc.

Also, recently I was diagnosed with depression. Funny, I really didn't feel "depressed", but, feeling depressed isn't necessiarly a symptom of depression I'd lost my balance, or sense or orientation. I literally couldn't walk more than 10 ft without "circling'.....when I was dx with depression and placed on meds, my sense of balance came back.

After battling a chronic disease for 30+ years, its bound to take its toll on one, physically and mentally. Am I taking the "easy way out"? Well, why not, if it works. Better than endlessly chasing someone else's ideas of what I should do---go swimmming, go to therapy, take vit A-Z. get religion, then, if it doesn't work, its because I didn't want it to work. Look, if I have a health condition that's seriously affecting my ability to live a productive, quality life, and there's something out there that can help, why am I the "weak person" for using it?

Just like I have high blood pressure, which is well under control with metoprolol. Sure, I do the other "good stuff" too, like watch diet, exercise, etc, but its important to maintain my BP on a consistent basis, and if the meds help, I'm not apologizing for it!

Many years ago, I suffered a repetitive stress injury due to my job but I could not draw workman's comp because repetitive stress injuries were not recognized. They argued that I must have injured my arm/hand on my own time because I had no documented accident at work. About 5 years later they started recognizing repetitive stress injuries as a real condition. Trust me it was real. I went to take my work gloves off one day and couldn't get the glove off of my left hand because 3 fingers were paralyzed. It took nearly a year to regain use of the fingers and they're still partially numb and weak. Yet because some yahoo decided that repetitive stress injuries weren't real I was never compensated for the damage to my arm.

I battle depression on and off. I cannot imagine battling it all on. I know that when I'm depressed for a while, it seems to feed upon itself and take on a life of its own. Fortunately, for me, several days on Paxil will usually snap me out of a funk. I'm lucky and I know it. Depression is bad. Being depressed all the time has to be hell. At least I get vacations from depression. I wonder if this is related to my father being bi-polar. It's like I get the depressive cycles without the manic cycle. I go from depressed to normal to depressed and what is happening in my life doesn't seem to impact the cycle. It just happens. Everyone was so worried about me when I got pregnant and after my kids were born yet I never had an issue then. The only trigger we've identified is lack of sunlight. I will always get depressed in January/February with the exception of the year I had dd#2 and I suspect that is because I was on maternity leave and home during the day when the sun is out. We don't know what triggers my depressions in the summer time but I usually have at least one bout in the summer. The rest of the year is up for grabs. I am very lucky that a low dose of Paxil taken for 10-14 days is enough to end the cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology