Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM

55 posts, read 136,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Yes. This. I don't care if the guy is short, unless HE makes s big deal about it. Sometimes you see a guy who gets into all that overcompensating behavior like driving a gigantic F350 pickup or acting like his you-know-what won't allow him to sit normally. Strutting around with his chest stuck out just makes a short guy look like he's trying too hard. It really doesn't matter to most non-shallow, smart women. At least the ones I know!
That's when you know they are suffering.... They overcompensate for everything. They don't want you to look at them for their lack of height. Just their materialistic possessions! And the one's who are like (fat/short and balding) George Castanza's (Seinfeld) are thee absolute worse!

Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
the best revenge is a life well-lived! I'm 5'6", which isn't very tall. Yet, I have dated quite a few women who were taller than me--and even taller in heels, which I very much encouraged them to wear if they wished. If a woman has no interest in me simply because of something as superficial as height, wait until they get a look at my bank account!

I generally am kind and courteous and ask them if they have any friends who may be interested in a kind, intelligent man who has a good future. If they have any brain at all, that piques their interest. Nothing freezes their sh1t more than to see a good friend of theirs going out with an interesting, intelligent guy, who has a sense of humor and who treats her well. . .

So, I never worried about my height too much. Numbers are your friend, my friends. Meet as many people as you can, and meet as many of the people THEY know. Be kind, generous, friendly, let them all know that you're available and looking and you'll find someone.

As Bruce Willis said in Pulp Fiction: "just keep on underestimating me". . . .

Old 04-12-2014, 10:42 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
I thought the moderator who put the "no height threads" in the Relationships forum was off their rocker since I thought that would be such a bizarre and needless rule but apparently not lol. Who's so good looking that they have no one better looking than them? Everyone has flaws or flaws they perceive themselves to have. I know that if I played Lebron James in a basketball game, he would embarass me and still not work up a sweat, that doesn't upset me, I simply live with it and move on.

I'm not very tall, I'm a man and 5'7, shorter than the average American male. I'd like to be taller. I'd like to be richer, handsomer and have a more gigantic wazawazoo as well but I dont dwell on it.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:07 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I'm pretty sure ALL children are weighed and measured at the pediatrician's office. Boys aren't singled out in this regard. There have been studies that show tall people usually earn more money and are considered more "appealing" but I've never heard that outside the workplace. Admittedly, all the men in my family are tall (over 6'2") so it's not something I've been acutely aware of in my everyday life.

More than anything, women probably want a relationship with someone who is capable, kind, decent and confident. It would seemingly follow that men prefer generally the same qualities in their mates as well.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM

260 posts, read 605,461 times

Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Mod snip.

If you're going to feel inferior because you can find evidence of some idiots on the internet, that says a lot more about you than about them. There are all kinds of stupid opinions online--everyone in the world would be paralyzed with self-doubt if we all read stupidity online and took it to heart.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-15-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 11:14 AM

One person PREFERS tall men and it means ALL do? How do you account for all the men shorter than 6' tall in relationships?

Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM

459 posts, read 484,871 times
I mean it IS a disadvantage for guys. I'm a 6'1 woman and, to be frank, I don't know if I would date a guy under 5'9 or so. Now I'm an outlier on the tall end and perhaps the relative discrepancy makes it more explicable, but that's not the point. If you set up a bell curve of variables, short guys would probably be "less preferred" than taller guys.

Now, I agree that using a random sample of incredibly shallow women on a dating site is a terrible sample, but the truth lies somewhere between a justified inferiority complex and the reality that, all other things being equal, being short is a disadvantage for guys in a lot of ways, including in interactions with other men (sports is one area where this is particularly true).

Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 AM

Historically, people were shorter in past generations. There are many factors to account for the changes in average height. Is one online dater's preference for tall men an indication that there is a worldwide conspiracy against them, though?

Average Heights

Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
I mean it IS a disadvantage for guys. I'm a 6'1 woman and, to be frank, I don't know if I would date a guy under 5'9 or so. Now I'm an outlier on the tall end and perhaps the relative discrepancy makes it more explicable, but that's not the point. If you set up a bell curve of variables, short guys would probably be "less preferred" than taller guys.
I don't disagree with you, but at the same time, no one is dealt a perfect hand in life. I'm sure being a tall woman hasn't always been a beneficial quality for you, but like anything, you have to deal with what you've got and get on with your life. There's always going to be someone who has more, or is better at something than you are, but they've got their own struggles, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology