Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times

Advertisements

I have never NOT been interested in a man because of his height.
I have lost interest in men who are insecure over something they can do nothing about.
I find confidence ( NOT conceit) a total turn on.
I am one of those blonde hair,blue eyed tall girls that got noticed a lot.
I fell madly in love with a short,homely,bald man. Bright, funny as hell, enjoyed every minute.
Men still hit on me when we were together, they assumed we weren't together "that way" .
He dumped me for an ex.
C'est le vie

Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
I mean it IS a disadvantage for guys. I'm a 6'1 woman and, to be frank, I don't know if I would date a guy under 5'9 or so. Now I'm an outlier on the tall end and perhaps the relative discrepancy makes it more explicable, but that's not the point. If you set up a bell curve of variables, short guys would probably be "less preferred" than taller guys.

Now, I agree that using a random sample of incredibly shallow women on a dating site is a terrible sample, but the truth lies somewhere between a justified inferiority complex and the reality that, all other things being equal, being short is a disadvantage for guys in a lot of ways, including in interactions with other men (sports is one area where this is particularly true).
Depends on the sport. There are professional athletes in all shapes and sizes. Mike Tyson, arguably the baddest man on the planet at one point, was 5'10" tops (he was fraudulently listed as 5'11 1/2" for marketing purposes), so non-tall guys in sports aren't always inferior or at a disadvantage.
And I think tall women can be discriminated against as well. Most guys don't want to reach up to kiss their spouse/girlfriend, and there are more guys under 6ft. than over, so I think tall women face challenges in the romance department.
I know for me, personally, a tall woman does not have the same feminine/girlie appeal that shorter women do; there's something masculine about a tall woman (in my opinion). But I'm sure it's relative. If I were 6'5", maybe I'd find 6'1" women ideal.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Most parents are obsessed with measuring their sons. They have them measured as a part of regular doctor visits, even though height is a very neutral health predicter (There's a minor positive correlation between height and intelligence, but then again there's a negative correlation between height and heart disease). Reaching a taller height is considered an achivement. A young boy always gets applauded for showing vertical growth. It's firmly engrained in our minds that tall=good and short=bad.

Why, then, is it any wonder that a Short Man Syndrome exists? We're raised to feel genetically defective. It continues later in life when women get to the birthing age and talk about how they don't want to get knocked up by a short guy because they "Don't want short sons." Basically , shortness, for men, is considered a genetic disorder. Sperm banks don't accept short sperm. Imagine if I vocalized that I don't want to have kids with an ugly woman because "I don't want ugly daughters." That wouldn't go over well!
Short men are the ONLY ones that ever make a big deal about being short.

No one else cares.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:21 PM

774 posts, read 906,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Complete BS. To a great extent our genes make us who we are. Individual height is about 80% determined by genes. Geneticists know this for a fact.
My genes make me small, my genes give me my look, my soul and my inner being are not my genes. Too many people treat others based on their height and the way they look as if they were to be credited or to be blamed for their appearance.

You can disagree, no problem. I can't prove what I believe but I don't confuse looks or height for the person.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
I wish I were shorter. Everything in the world seems to be designed and arranged for short people.

Cabinets, countertops, appliances, automobiles, lawn & garden equipment, desks at work, doorknobs, sinks, airplane seats, shopping carts, rides in amusement parks, etc etc etc.

Basketball and volleyball were the main things I liked
Clearly you have never had a restaurant booth that ended right under your chin, or had a steering wheel in your lap because the seat was pulled up as far as possible to reach the pedals.

The world is designed for *average sized people,* not for any of us on the extreme ends.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM

774 posts, read 906,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradMan View Post
George Costanza... sounds Italian right? But the actor is named Jason Alexander right?
Not so much... he was born "Jay Greenspan" such is Hollywood
Talented man, he used his talents to make a great life for himself and his family.

Why would he feel inferior?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
I was much shorter when I was younger, but I was comfortable with who I was. That attitude meant that others could see beyond my shortness.

I haven't grown any taller for about thirty five years, and think it's unlikely I will get any taller.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
This thread is closed. Off-topic and rude posts, as well as personal attacks, have been deleted. This topic has been done before, ad nauseam, in more than one forum. We don't need another one.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology