Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
tenet
David Tennant

Doctor Who
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
You can sympathize without justifying their actions. Everyone judges, everyone.
To some degree yes I guess that is true. What I mean is, we should try not to judge others. I don't justify this person's actions at all, and he should pay for his crimes. I do sympathize with him in that this society in the United States and much of Westernized culture creates a lot of outcasts or misanthropes. Still not a reason to hurt other people. There is more and more cruelty in this world by the day.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 AM

589 posts, read 639,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
So you've heard and seen all average women getting hit on by average guys who had good intentions?

Multiple instances indicate a pattern. You're not refuting anything I've claimed with that question.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yes, this is true. The problem is for people to actually get the courage to do it. And furthermore, even when shy people do activities like this, many still often have a very hard time actually talking to and getting to know anybody there.

Fear of judgement is a paralyzing fear.
I agree. My shyness defined and limited my entire life. It is a struggle to fight it, but I believe it can be done. I know it can be done. The truth is most people aren't even thinking about you, let alone judging you intensively. It's actually a relief to realize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
You can sympathize without justifying their actions. Everyone judges, everyone.
bad apples was talking about zentropa judging tairos as unworthy of sympathy.

Nobody is justifying the mass shooter's actions.

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How about some actual data? More female virgins than male in the 15-24 age group, and virginity on the rise for both.

Sex Stats: Virgins On the Rise | LiveScience

This is what I mean about damaging messages men in the echo chamber share with each other--based on lies.
Interesting, this data combined with the fact that 25% of teen girls have STD's means that people who are having sex at an early age must not be using protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
To some degree yes I guess that is true. What I mean is, we should try not to judge others. I don't justify this person's actions at all, and he should pay for his crimes. I do sympathize with him in that this society in the United States and much of Westernized culture creates a lot of outcasts or misanthropes. Still not a reason to hurt other people. There is more and more cruelty in this world by the day.

We can try not to all we want, but we do. And judging isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we all befriend people blindly and gave everyone a chance, that's just a recipe for disaster. As for the kid, society is better off without him. I feel bad he got rejected repeatedly over the years, but there's no place for mass murder.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I agree. My shyness defined and limited my entire life. It is a struggle to fight it, but I believe it can be done. I know it can be done. The truth is most people aren't even thinking about you, let alone judging you intensively. It's actually a relief to realize that.
It can be done, but some never do. And many are able to fight it for a while, but then fall back into the fear and spiral back into isolation and depression.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Interesting, this data combined with the fact that 25% of teen girls have STD's means that people who are having sex at an early age much not be using protection.

Even with protection, STDs are still spreading rapidly. HPV and herpes are passed with or without condoms. The problem is these teen girls are sleeping with the same promiscuous guys, and these guys are sleeping with more than 1 girl at the same time. So really, the girls are not victims here.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 AM

377 posts, read 620,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How about some actual data? More female virgins than male in the 15-24 age group, and virginity on the rise for both.

Sex Stats: Virgins On the Rise | LiveScience
This should be dismissed as nothing more than bad science. It has been shown time and time again that women have a strong inclination to under-report the true number of sexual partners:

Survey of women admitting to lying about their number of sexual partners.

Your study is also addressing the voluntary celibacy of women, and that is completely different than men who are involuntary celibates. So your citing of that study does nothing to help your initially flawed argument. Not to mention this goes against everything we've learned thus far about evolutionary psychology. The fact of the matter is, in nature, more females will naturally reproduce than more males. In other words, there will be many times more men who don't reproduce than more women. This also consistent with the scientific fact that most of our ancestors were, in fact, women.

This idea, that there are an equal number of women out there struggling to get any attention from the opposite sex as there are men, is nothing more than a feminist fantasy that is completely inconsistent with the facts and reality at large. Every women will always have a large number of men that find her attractive to some degree. The same is not at all true for a number of men. This is a real phenomenon and has long been understood and explained in evolutionary psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology