Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Unwanted early attention might be a factor in why many of the more shy, potentially nicer females later become uninviting to men. But I don't see that as something males can do much to fix (horny, insensitive teens follow their instincts). It's more a thing for schools to address, via discipline and dress codes. Personally the only time I ever witnessed it was by a teacher, and some of us later mentioned it to an adult.

Also, women who went through that as teens frankly need to do what they can to get over it. And women who get unwanted attention from men have, in my opinion, probably only one possible fix, which is to figure out how they can present themselves in a way that's less creep-friendly without being sexless. I will speak out against most cold-approaching and other misguided male behaviors online, but I don't know if guys will listen.
This is the reality. A certain way of dress automatically attracts the creeps of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This is the reality. A certain way of address automatically attracts the creeps of the world.
I see no reason why women CAN'T dress "sexless" if that's the way they feel more comfortable. Goodheathen wants women to NOT dress sexless. Well I'm sure many women would prefer that as well, but if sexless is the only way they'll feel comfortable, they should go for it. Their own comfort should always come first.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I see no reason why women CAN'T dress "sexless" if that's the way they feel more comfortable. Goodheathen wants women to NOT dress sexless. Well I'm sure many women would prefer that as well, but if sexless is the only way they'll feel comfortable, they should go for it. Their own comfort should always come first.
I agree. I'm with you. Women should be able to dress as they wish.

Unfortunately, very revealing dressing in this day and age attracts the wackos, the weirdos, the psychos, and the freakos, and we all know there are plenty of those nowadays. Look at what's being discussed in this thread. Scary.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:15 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
I agree. I'm with you. Women should be able to dress as they wish.

Unfortunately, very revealing dressing in this day and age attracts the wackos, the weirdos, the psychos, and the freakos, and we all know there are plenty of those nowadays. Look at what's being discussed in this thread. Scary.
I agree, very revealing dress is just not worth it, for all the grief it brings. I'm not suggesting that we blame the victim—a woman should be able to dress however she pleases without men behaving like apes.

But most of us learn at a very young age that it's not worth the harassment, the creeps, the awful comments. Dressing even modestly feminine isn't enough, sometimes.

I once was harassed while wearing the most unattractive, tent-like poncho.

Women should do whatever makes them comfortable. If men complain, too bad. We shouldn't have to put up with this. Our comfort comes before their desire to look.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Also, look at how often one of the first questions put to a rape victim is "what where you wearing at the time of the attack"? I'll never forget a comment from my first boss when I was in my early 20s. He said "some of these women who are raped were asking for it."

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I agree, very revealing dress is just not worth it, for all the grief it brings. I'm not suggesting that we blame the victim—a woman should be able to dress however she pleases without men behaving like apes.

But most of us learn at a very young age that it's not worth the harassment, the creeps, the awful comments. Dressing even modestly feminine isn't enough, sometimes.

I once was harassed while wearing the most unattractive, tent-like poncho.

Women should do whatever makes them comfortable. If men complain, too bad. We shouldn't have to put up with this. Our comfort comes before their desire to look.
Exactly!

If one lives where the land is chock full of snakes, it's best to wear boots outdoors, whether or not one prefers to wear sandals.

We are surrounded by wackos and nutjobs and psychos, and it's not a matter of whether women have the right to dress revealing. It's a matter that we are surrounded by nutjobs and psychos, and they go insane when they see women dressed in very revealing fashion.

Unless, of course, we find a way to get rid of these sickos.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
When I was growing up many women didn't wear bras, halter and sheer tops were popular, and guys didn't go all psycho stalker on them. What changed? They did notice and sometimes whistle and say woo-hoo out of a car, and drive on, no entitlement to have the woman. I'm sure there were always exceptions but it was not a thing to expect a girl in a summer halter top and short shorts to have sex with whoever.

I started to see that in the late nineties when some women I know were propositioned in the daytime going about their business, and not even wearing very revealing clothing, just something like a shorter dress or a form fitted jacket. That is about the time thongs were being marketed as underwear. Ouch.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
When I was growing up many women didn't wear bras, halter and sheer tops were popular, and guys didn't go all psycho stalker on them. What changed? They did notice and sometimes whistle and say woo-hoo out of a car, and drive on, no entitlement to have the woman. I'm sure there were always exceptions but it was not a thing to expect a girl in a summer halter top and short shorts to have sex with whoever.

I started to see that in the late nineties when some women I know were propositioned in the daytime going about their business, and not even wearing very revealing clothing, just something like a shorter dress or a form fitted jacket. That is about the time thongs were being marketed as underwear. Ouch.
God I wish I knew. If I knew why there are suddenly so many psychos and wackos out there joining PUAs and all kinds of crap, I'd for sure publish a book and get very wealthy. Something went wrong somewhere along the way in this country.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Quote:
God I wish I knew. If I knew why there are suddenly so many psychos and wackos out there joining PUAs and all kinds of crap, I'd for sure publish a book and get very wealthy. Something went wrong somewhere along the way in this country.

I think the music/video scene might be partly responsible. My growing up years were back during the days of real singers and song writers. Some of the best were poets. My fondest memories are of getting a new album by artists like James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot and John Denver. We had hard rock in those years too but nothing like the trash young people are exposed to now days. We didn't have the near X rated sex and violence videos either. All you have to do is take one look at a Miley Cyrus music video to see how desperate young people are to essentially be vulgar. Women are openly called every vile name in the book in these videos. It has had a corrosive effect on the public.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I learned to wear a minimizer by 14. DD's are a problem when you're in high school. I used to wear a minimizer and a baggy t-shirt to avoid the unwanted attention.
I think this is the more prevalent strategy. To wear baggy clothes, oversized men's shirts, and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology