Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I learned to wear a minimizer by 14. DD's are a problem when you're in high school. I used to wear a minimizer and a baggy t-shirt to avoid the unwanted attention.
Tell me about it. I had similar experiences.

It can be a Catch-22 for girls, I think. We have guys like goodheathen who are all complaining and "dissatisfied" because those uncooperative women won't make themselves attractive for the men. Then you have the root cause for some (if not a lot of) the "unattractiveness"—men and boys who harassed, leered, groped, intimidated, creeped-out, etc., girls in their early years, so much so that the girls resorted to wearing unflattering clothes, hiding their bodies, and sometimes gaining weight.

Now those self-same girls are being "blamed" for male "unhappiness." And we are beseeched to think of the poor men, and we are told that we are not being sympathetic enough towards them.

Well, maybe they need to work from within. Maybe they need to work on policing themselves, instead of expecting the women to do it all. I don't know how you expect 12, 13, 14 year old girls to have the maturity to handle the sexual harassment, the intimidation, the creepy overtures. If guys are unhappy with the way things are, they need to work on themselves first. If they do that, they'll be fewer girls who are trying to "hide" their attractiveness. Win-win, right?

That's what we've been saying all along though, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Unwanted early attention might be a factor in why many of the more shy, potentially nicer females later become uninviting to men. But I don't see that as something males can do much to fix (horny, insensitive teens follow their instincts). It's more a thing for schools to address, via discipline and dress codes. Personally the only time I ever witnessed it was by a teacher, and some of us later mentioned it to an adult.

Also, women who went through that as teens frankly need to do what they can to get over it. And women who get unwanted attention from men have, in my opinion, probably only one possible fix, which is to figure out how they can present themselves in a way that's less creep-friendly without being sexless. I will speak out against most cold-approaching and other misguided male behaviors online, but I don't know if guys will listen.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Unwanted early attention might be a factor in why many of the more shy, potentially nicer females later become uninviting to men. But I don't see that as something males can do much to fix (horny, insensitive teens follow their instincts).
Maybe if these horny teens were raised better, or had more peer pressure, they wouldn't be quite so obnoxious. I don't think it's a matter of "boys will be boys." They're not all little apes. They need to start remembering that.

Quote:
Also, women who went through that as teens frankly need to do what they can to get over it.
For their own sake, sure, but not for the sake of the poor men, who shouldn't have been behaving like little apes in the first place. And sometimes the trauma takes a while to fix. Maybe years. By that time they might be old shriveled up crones of 26! The best years are behind them!

Quote:
And women who get unwanted attention from men have, in my opinion, probably only one possible fix, which is to figure out how they can present themselves in a way that's less creep-friendly without being sexless.
They shouldn't have to dress in any particular way to avoid creeps, because these guys should STOP BEING CREEPS. But apparently since the creeps will be creeps, and we can't expect that to stop, then I say the girls should do whatever they want to feel comfortable. If that means dressing sexless, that's what it means. Blame it on the creeps who won't stop being creeps.

Quote:
I will speak out against most cold-approaching and other misguided male behaviors online, but I don't know if guys will listen.
Well, again we're at an impasse, because why on earth should women, who have already been traumatized by harassment and creepy treatment, listen to the plea to "think of the men" when it's obvious that the men won't stop being creeps, and will ignore any requests or pleas to do so?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
That's where women need to remind themselves of the negativity bias: bad experiences with men mask the fact that most men aren't bad. (As exemplified by the almost-nil creepy male behavior I've personally observed.)

Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
That's where women need to remind themselves of the negativity bias: bad experiences with men mask the fact that most men aren't bad. (As exemplified by the almost-nil creepy male behavior I've personally observed.)
You're not a woman, though. It hasn't been directed at you, so it might be easier to miss.

All that needs to happen is a few guys, here and there but on a regular basis, being creepy and gross. Women will start to act and dress differently after that. They can't exactly think, "Well, only 5% of the time do I get groped or leered at or followed, or have something vile said to me, that's not enough reason to start making myself 'sexless'!" That's not how it works.

These experiences can be very traumatic, particularly when they start when a girl is very young (and often that's when they start). Why on earth should they continually put themselves out there when the harassment can come at any time, and will not stop?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 AM

398 posts, read 471,441 times
We are animals. Some of us are more evolved than others, but in essence we are all animals, evolved from monkeys.

I think it is natural to want to look. It is natural to objectify a little bit. It's when you go overboard that you are in trouble.

If you point at guys who seek out sexy women, I point to this image as an example of the female version.

And normal people don't get obsessive over it. Elliot Rodger, Sodini, Cho, or any of the other sociopathic shooters, are far from normal.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Quote:
Unwanted early attention might be a factor in why many of the more shy, potentially nicer females later become uninviting to men. But I don't see that as something males can do much to fix (horny, insensitive teens follow their instincts). It's more a thing for schools to address, via discipline and dress codes. Personally the only time I ever witnessed it was by a teacher, and some of us later mentioned it to an adult.

Also, women who went through that as teens frankly need to do what they can to get over it. And women who get unwanted attention from men have, in my opinion, probably only one possible fix, which is to figure out how they can present themselves in a way that's less creep-friendly without being sexless. I will speak out against most cold-approaching and other misguided male behaviors online, but I don't know if guys will listen.

You want women to "fix" everything that is "wrong" with us, but men, the poor men, just can't help themselves because their horny. At some point men (even young men/teens) have to take responsibility for their actions. I was verbally attacked by males throughout my teen years. You want women to "get over it" and feel sorry for the men?? Unreal.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
If only 5% of men respond negatively to an attractive woman, how many times per day does she get harassed, groped, cat called, whistled at, whatever? How many times per day are we required to put up with this behavior because you prefer us to dress attractively? I learned quickly to hide my bustline under a baggy shirt because even once per day is too much for this kind of behavior.

The only thing I had going for me when I was younger was I was built but I learned to hide it because it did not get me the kind of attention I wanted. I didn't want to be treated like a piece of meat by even 1% of the men out there. I'm not required to put up with this because you like to look. I didn't start dressing up until I got married. Then I felt somewhat safe because of the ring on my left hand.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Tell me about it. I had similar experiences.

It can be a Catch-22 for girls, I think. We have guys like goodheathen who are all complaining and "dissatisfied" because those uncooperative women won't make themselves attractive for the men. Then you have the root cause for some (if not a lot of) the "unattractiveness"—men and boys who harassed, leered, groped, intimidated, creeped-out, etc., girls in their early years, so much so that the girls resorted to wearing unflattering clothes, hiding their bodies, and sometimes gaining weight.

Now those self-same girls are being "blamed" for male "unhappiness." And we are beseeched to think of the poor men, and we are told that we are not being sympathetic enough towards them.

Well, maybe they need to work from within. Maybe they need to work on policing themselves, instead of expecting the women to do it all. I don't know how you expect 12, 13, 14 year old girls to have the maturity to handle the sexual harassment, the intimidation, the creepy overtures. If guys are unhappy with the way things are, they need to work on themselves first. If they do that, they'll be fewer girls who are trying to "hide" their attractiveness. Win-win, right?

That's what we've been saying all along though, isn't it?
Correct. If the attention we got for dressing attractively was positive, we'd be more likely to do it.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
You want women to "fix" everything that is "wrong" with us, but men, the poor men, just can't help themselves because their horny. At some point men (even young men/teens) have to take responsibility for their actions. I was verbally attacked by males throughout my teen years. You want women to "get over it" and feel sorry for the men?? Unreal.
I know.

I'm sick of being told that the guys won't listen to pleas to stop acting like apes, won't be sympathetic to women, can't be held accountable because of their raging hormones, and bottom line, won't change. But they'll blame the women and demand that they change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology