Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM

483 posts, read 692,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
But it's not proof that women's looks actually decline by their late 20s. I would expect some sort of impartial study with some sort of scientific basis as proof, more than one study would be best, not merely a survey or ratings from some overly superficial guys on a dating site.
Not sure but for age and attractiveness in general, there’s this study:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/emotions/lonelyhearts.shtml

Quote:
Men, so the biological assumption goes, always prefer younger women, because they are likely to bear them more children.
But a recent study seems to contradict this theory. Dr George Fieldman, of the Buckinhamshire Chilterns University College showed images of women to about 200 men with an average age of 30.

A picture of a 36-year old woman, who a separate group of men had found attractive, was shown to the men along with eight other photos of women aged 20 to 45 who had been rated as less attractive.

Asked to choose one woman as a long-term partner, all three groups chose the beautiful woman regardless of what age they thought she was.

"They are saying: 'I'd rather risk a relationship with an older woman who is not going to give me as many children but is very beautiful, than a woman who is more fecund but whose children will be plainer," says Fieldman.

The theory is based on the notion that a beautiful woman is more likely to bear beautiful offspring and that those offspring will be more successful than plainer offspring.

"Female beauty has evolved through sexual selection. If you're beautiful then it's likely that you're also symmetrical," he adds.
Symmetry is a difficult characteristic for genes to code for, leading many scientists to conclude that it is an indicator of good genes.
There's also other good stuff about how higher levels of estrogen boost female attractiveness regardless of calendar age, and possibly some contradictory stuff too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM

398 posts, read 471,441 times
Do you seriously believe guys who date beautiful women are doing it so they can get more attractive children? That's the nuttiest thing I've ever heard.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
This is all fascinating stuff but the fact is most people who want to partner up can, and they usually partner up with someone comparable to themselves. Yeah, we've all seen "beauty and the beast" or wondered "what is he doing with HER?" but it's not a real common thing. The majority of people are average with flaws, be they natural or age related, and usually they find partners who aren't whining about wanting a 'bubble butt' or 'six pack' or whatever the current rage is among those who look but rarely get to touch.

Offline, people can usually make connections if they want.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
Do you seriously believe guys who date beautiful women are doing it so they can get more attractive children? That's the nuttiest thing I've ever heard.
Clearly not for some jerk simply looking to get their leg over or for a notch on a bedpost, but for those who actually want children, why not?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Clearly not for some jerk simply looking to get their leg over or for a notch on a bedpost, but for those who actually want children, why not?
I'm sorry but I've never heard of a man think like this before. For guys they usually either want children or not. They only worry if it is their child. I've heard some women think like this though.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 PM

Well I didn't conduct the study, just earned the derision for finding it as if I had, lol.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 PM

463 posts, read 559,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is all fascinating stuff but the fact is most people who want to partner up can, and they usually partner up with someone comparable to themselves. Yeah, we've all seen "beauty and the beast" or wondered "what is he doing with HER?" but it's not a real common thing. The majority of people are average with flaws, be they natural or age related, and usually they find partners who aren't whining about wanting a 'bubble butt' or 'six pack' or whatever the current rage is among those who look but rarely get to touch.

Offline, people can usually make connections if they want.
This is what most men and women who have a realistic assessment of their own stock do. They take what they can realistically attain based on their looks/status/common interests and they don't complain as long as there is compatibility between the two.

Unfortunately you have a sizeable minority of deluded men and women who want the best when they themselves don't measure up to their own unrealistic mate standards. They refuse to make the drastic improvements necessary to upgrade their desirability to have a shot at the best and as a result get bitter and angry at their lack of dating success.

It seems men are more vocal and lash out easier because they feel as if they were owed a pretty wife based on some antiquated hierarchical gender construct that never should have existed in the first place.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Isn't it enough we have to give birth to them????

Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
This is what most men and women who have a realistic assessment of their own stock do. They take what they can realistically attain based on their looks/status/common interests and they don't complain as long as there is compatibility between the two.

Unfortunately you have a sizeable minority of deluded men and women who want the best when they themselves don't measure up to their own unrealistic mate standards. They refuse to make the drastic improvements necessary to upgrade their desirability to have a shot at the best and as a result get bitter and angry at their lack of dating success.

It seems men are more vocal and lash out easier because they feel as if they were owed a pretty wife based on some antiquated hierarchical gender construct that never should have existed in the first place.
I don't know about "antiquated", I mean to some extent, but I don't think you saw this problem with Grandma and Grandpa of the Greatest Generation and earlier. Possibly this is because Gram, Gramps, and their friends in their younger years were all serious-to-scowling, but anecdotally, in pictures of my grandparents and their friends, I don't see one-half of the couple as ravishing and the other half as plain, there seemed to be a lot more looks parity. Also, to some extent, still-agrarian culture with long distances to travel to do anything; unless you lived in cities, it seemed remarkably likely that there was only one "pretty prize" to wed in each farm town. Not to mention shorter life expectancies; you might have considered yourself lucky to keep any kind of living spouse.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Quality string of posts from you.

Factors such as proximity, pressure (especially on women) to marry, similarity in experiences, values, etc. - those would all help people couple up. As would lack of somewhat better, exaggerated options imagined in the typical big city and now heavily promoted by the media and the online dating industry. But there's one other big factor: people used to mostly live among their ethnic groups, and people born and raised among their kind usually are more physically attracted to it than objective ratings would predict.

Contrast all that with Elliot Rodger, an outsider in his looks and some of his beliefs lost in a sea of people he hardly knew. That's partly why we are getting cases like his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology