Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM

398 posts, read 471,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
What "truth"?

That women "owe" it to men to be pretty, and when women fail to be as pretty or as thin as they ought to be, men are angry (and have a right to be)? After all, it's her job.

That men are entitled to a pretty girlfriend or wife? Even if they aren't that great-looking, they expect a pretty wife/gf, because the media has taught them that, and they're angry if they're not getting it?

That if a woman doesn't cough up the required prettiness or thinness to mankind, she's taking something away from them and letting them down?

These are all attitudes that you have expressed (you've backpedaled on some of them, but they are there for all to see). I don't think many men agree with that, nope.
I don't agree with it, but I can see why someone wouldn't be attracted to someone who isn't attractive. Male, or female. And that is to say, if the attractiveness is based on how fit and pretty/handsome they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
What "truth"?

That women "owe" it to men to be pretty, and when women fail to be as pretty or as thin as they ought to be, men are angry (and have a right to be)? After all, it's her job.

That men are entitled to a pretty girlfriend or wife? Even if they aren't that great-looking, they expect a pretty wife/gf, because the media has taught them that, and they're angry if they're not getting it?

That if a woman doesn't cough up the required prettiness or thinness to mankind, she's taking something away from them and letting them down?

These are all attitudes that you have expressed (you've backpedaled on some of them, but they are there for all to see). I don't think many men agree with that, nope.
I explained why men feel frustration, some of which are reasons above. I did not fully justify those reasons. The controversial topic of women's physical attractiveness or lack thereof might not be the biggest reason men are mad and shouldn't be the central talking point here.

Edit: we're also in a new era where male physical attractiveness has become openly important, and that has generated angry denial or pressure felt in men.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-08-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I explained why men feel frustration, some of which are reasons above. I did not fully justify those reasons. The controversial topic of women's physical attractiveness or lack thereof might not be the biggest reason men are mad and shouldn't be the central talking point here.
This post of yours is well worth a re-read, for starters. And I do think that women's attractiveness is a big thing for you. Not the only thing, but you blame it a lot, and this is why, you believe, men are so upset. Women have forgotten their "duty"!

You start out by saying, "Because it is not-old, heterosexual (and maybe bisexual) women's job to be attractive." and it goes from there.

Somehow the obesity epidemic, instead of being a major health issue, is, for you, is messing up the "sexual ecosystem" and those darn "attractive-enough" women are not paying attention to the average joes, but instead are going for the hottest and richest. How dare they!

It goes from there.

It's a very lopsided, double-standard viewpoint you have, and you've been called on it. Yes, you believe a lot of what you're saying, I don't see how you can backpedal now on your belief that it's a woman's duty to be attractive.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
The obesity epidemic is a problem for many reasons. Anyway, it doesn't follow from attractiveness duty that all or the vast majority of men are entitled to attractive women. Historically many men have ended up with less or alone, though it seems the percentage is increasing to a dangerous level. It doesn't matter if it's a double-standard or not. Men are going to feel the way they feel. It does matter if they then act out. Partly I'm suggesting that women adjust to men's superficiality, like they used to, because the alternative is worse. It's just one of many possible fixes for the mess we're in and probably the simplest. I'd personally be more excited about ideas for how to get singles of the two sexes regularly, casually, pleasantly mingling with each other offline outside work and school. Per the manifesto, just increasing frequency of physical attraction might not help rather reserved men at all.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:18 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Men in this constant state of outrage towards women need to just move on from it. What good does it do? You have to give more meaning to your life than thinking about what someone else does or has that you feel entitled to.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:39 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I'd personally be more excited about ideas for how to get singles of the two sexes regularly, casually, pleasantly mingling with each other offline outside work and school.
This is what is needed. Everyone needs to make more effort, and participate in activities, volunteer orgs, sports clubs, etc. that will help facilitate the meeting-and-mingling. People need to be more active out in public, but the trend has been in the opposite direction--sitting at home playing video games or reading blogs, and complaining about never meeting anyone.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
At 1,097 replies this is the hottest thread in the history of the Psychology forum.

Why? What does that say about the members of this forum? About people or society in general?
That we are curious about the outliers.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Men in this constant state of outrage towards women need to just move on from it. What good does it do? You have to give more meaning to your life than thinking about what someone else does or has that you feel entitled to.
I agree. There is no reason for men to be outraged with women. They need to look in the mirror and fix what's broken there. No one is entitled to another person. There is something really wrong with you if you think you are.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Edit: we're also in a new era where male physical attractiveness has become openly important, and that has generated angry denial or pressure felt in men.
Funny how men cry foul when someone does to them what they've done to women for eons... Maybe they shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:48 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Funny how men cry foul when someone does to them what they've done to women for eons... Maybe they shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it.
THIS!!

The thing is, women do date "kissless virgins". All men were virgins at one point in their lives, weren't they? But boys/men like the one who made recent headlines aren't interested in many of the women who would approach. They're fixated on a certain image, and nothing less will do. So who really bears the responsibility for their predicament?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology