Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm not "little," and those insults aren't okay or accurate (except marginally, aging in the 20's). Funny how "little" is used as an insult, but somehow that couldn't have been a factor in why Elliot Rodger went psychotic, like he was just a bad dude in a great world.
Um, he was a bad dude. The fact you're making excuses for him is beyond putrid. It speaks to the kind of person you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM

786 posts, read 1,594,444 times
I don't believe this kid got this way on his own, I think he was left to develop haphazardly which never works out well, I doubt he had any structure or discipline growing up, he obviously got everything and anything he wanted, he was driving a black BMW at the age of 21 that his parents gave him? He wasn't making it at a community college, he was a narcissist of the worst kind. We're growing a whole generation of narcissistic kids. This kid obvious had profoundly distorted thoughts, and his perceived rejection, real or not, were narcissistic blows that his ego could not tolerate. He started scheming his retribution years before he actually acted out which to me, indicates that there was probably no one, including his parents, that were in his life that knew him well enough to know there was a problem, and he was left to his own devices, in his own reality, and I think this is just the beginning. There are more and more shootings everyday, people trying to outdo each other, couples now making suicide pacts with each other but deciding to take others with them, it's downright chilling. We live in a very violent country and the only answer in my mind is gun control, like it or not. We cannot control the behavior of others, we can't prevent people from murdering others and/or taking their own lives. For decades, physicians are rarely held responsible for a patient's suicide because so far, judges and juries have accepted and endorsed the fact that human behavior is not under someone's control, and that we can do our best to help troubled people, but there are limits. It's easy to point the finger and say someone missed something, that the police or the mental health system performed faulty evaluations, but again, the bottom line is that this kid developed his mind set over 21 years, and he knew how to manipulate others, and his actions were behavioral, not a function of a psychotic mental illness, he was personality disordered which is refractory to therapy or medication in most cases. We're in big trouble as a society and as I see it, the only thing we have control over is the proliferation of guns. I also think there should be a moratorium on reporting these shootings in the media, that just fuels the fire.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
That's unrealistic re the media and a bit alarmist, but it's closer to the truth than just implying he was innately evil. Of course he was a bad guy by the end, at least since last year, and reasons are not "excuses." I'm not putting up with people who, for whatever is going on upstairs, decide to slander me as a murder supporter or an extreme loser/misogynist.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
That's unrealistic re the media and a bit alarmist, but it's closer to the truth than just implying he was innately evil. Of course he was a bad guy by the end, at least since last year, and reasons are not "excuses." I'm not putting up with people who, for whatever is going on upstairs, decide to slander me as a murder supporter or an extreme loser/misogynist.
You have been making excuses for him and blaming women throughout this thread. It's hardly slander when you are blatantly posting this stuff

Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
He blamed women, and the thread was unfairly set up to mock the idea. Bullying of him was mostly done by males, I suppose, but I suspect specific females or common negative female behaviors (that weirdly seem taboo to mention in front of women) contribute to the anger that fuels such violence (which never does good). If that indicates some misogyny by me, so be it. I've actually been repped many times for posts in this thread. Anyway, your amazing psychic powers can be used in another thread. They only spread hate here.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
He blamed women, and the thread was unfairly set up to mock the idea.
Mock whiney entitlement? Why is that a bad thing?
Quote:
but I suspect specific females or common negative female behaviors (that weirdly seem taboo to mention in front of women) contribute to the anger that fuels such violence (which never does good).
I haven't read his whole weird manifesto, but the impressions I've been given from those who have read it is that he was all pouty because women didn't throw themselves at him. He really didn't get "shot down" a lot in some cruel way by any female, because it didn't sound like he approached any of them. I do recall an episode he told of how he "smiled" at some women sitting at a bus stop, and when those heartless shrews didn't smile back, he got so outraged that he doubled back in his car and spilled his drink all over them.

This sounds like the kind of horrible cruelty that was inflicted upon him by those evil, evil women. Oh, the heartlessness! The poor little lamb, how traumatic!

Quote:
If that indicates some misogyny by me, so be it. I've actually been repped many times for posts in this thread. Anyway, your amazing psychic powers can be used in another thread. They only spread hate here.
I've been repped a lot in this thread too. And I started participating relatively recently.

Some of the things you seem to be okay with are that women are supposed to be beautiful (it's their duty). That men are upset when women aren't working hard to be pretty (this fuels their anger) and somehow, what? The poor men? Those wicked women aren't going on diets and wearing more makeup, how dare they? Those men are idiots if that is what is angering them.

And then you seem to be sympathetic because some schlub is upset because he can't "date up" or a woman who is hotter than him won't give him a chance (as if she "owes" him that)? That they feel outrage because these women dare to have physical standards too, just like men do?

These are the kinds of things that a lot of us here are mocking, and it sounds like you think these are "negative female behaviors" that would fuel this violence.

They are ridiculous reasons for a guy to go on a killing spree. Guys like this need to pull up their big boy panties and get used to the human condition. No woman owes them a date, and a beautiful woman is not a prize that they're entitled to, just because they like the look of her.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,449 times
There's definitely a double standard in society and you even hear it in shows like loveline. Guys are expected to be able to handle and help women with psychological issues. Women are typically told by people around them to dump that kind of guy and find someone else.

There's no excuse for what the guy did. We do seem to need to find some way to reach out to disenfranchised young men. The high rates of youth unemployment likely don't help this.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post

There's no excuse for what the guy did. We do seem to need to find some way to reach out to disenfranchised young men. The high rates of youth unemployment likely don't help this.
Are you kidding me? It's not like the guy had to work with a BMW! I think his parents hinted around about working, but every time the subject came up-- it was more classes. I think he figured out that taking more classes would be an excuse not to work, but I don't think he liked it. That's what the screaming matches were about, or was overheard on the phone ( by his first roommate that was interviewed)

His parents knew exactly what was going on.. this is so simple and I am not the most intelligent light bulb in the bunch.. but then again, it's just not hard.

The game was.. stay in school/take more classes or you have to get a job. The counter argument was-- I'd do so much better in school if I had a girlfriend.. (also one was needed to get the pressure of his back from his parents and staying in school and not working.. His parents know exactly what his break-down was all about mainly, because they got into heated discussions quite often) There was no one else in his life besides his parents.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Are you kidding me? It's not like the guy had to work with a BMW! I think his parents hinted around about working, but every time the subject came up-- it was more classes. I think he figured out that taking more classes would be an excuse not to work, but I don't think he liked it. That's what the screaming matches were about, or was overheard on the phone ( by his first roommate that was interviewed)

His parents knew exactly what was going on.. this is so simple and I am not the most intelligent light bulb in the bunch.. but then again, it's just not hard.

The game was.. stay in school/take more classes or you have to get a job. The counter argument was-- I'd do so much better in school if I had a girlfriend.. (also one was needed to get the pressure of his back from his parents and staying in school and not working.. His parents know exactly what his break-down was all about mainly, because they got into heated discussions quite often) There was no one else in his life besides his parents.
The only thing in his life outside the parents was hours and hours (sometimes 14 a day) of video games. He made me think of Adam Lanza in that regard. I don't know how anyone could spend that amount of time on video games, but it seems to be a quality that turns up a lot in these mass shooters.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
The only thing in his life outside the parents was hours and hours (sometimes 14 a day) of video games. He made me think of Adam Lanza in that regard. I don't know how anyone could spend that amount of time on video games, but it seems to be a quality that turns up a lot in these mass shooters.
Agreed. Adam Lanza's mom was a teacher too ( I think) She had to buy him the games or give him the money because he never worked ( but I don't think he could). She even took him to the gun range. (That was just stupid) I personally think she was off or maybe had an affair with a bottle of whiskey, since most of her friends were down at the bar. Adam Lanza was alone a lot as well and stayed 'plugged in'. I don't even have a video game. I feel like our nation is desensitized to these stupid things. We were made to go outside and exercise. Humans are genetically geared for physical activities.

Kids are generally 'plugged in' and then 'unplugged' from visual reality. I am sure there has to be some form of disassociation between both worlds that someone is not getting. I could say that people that are sensitive with lapses in reality to begin with, could be very comfortable in an 'disassociated world', especially if the reality is not fulfilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology