Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 03:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times

Advertisements

goodheathen, standards of beauty...

Quote:
That's what Esther Honig asked 40 photo editors to do -- in over 25 countries. Using the service-sharing site Fiverr, Honig, a human interest reporter, sent a picture of herself to be photoshopped around the world to see just how much cultural values are applied to standards of beauty. The results throw the idea of "the perfect woman" into sharp relief.
What Happened When One Woman Had Her Picture Photoshopped In 25 Different Countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 03:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm sure you have not heard of many things. What you don't seem to understand is that it's these guys who are the small percentage. Most people are civilized and get on well enough.

I'm sure many guys like long hair, but it's far from being universal, and for the sake of argument let's say a majority of men like long hair, that still leaves a sizable minority (I would estimate) who like short hair, could go either long or short, or have no preference. To say that ALL guys like long hair, always, is silly.

I think you're onto something with the hip-to-waist ratio, and this can be present with women who are "overweight" (think many plus-sized models) but if they have an hourglass figure, they can be relatively bigger but still very attractive to many men. And I'd say that even women with less curves are still with a lot of appeal—one of my friends in no way had an hourglass figure, but she was tall and slender, few curves, and she always had guys chasing after her. (Later she came out of the closet, LOL! )

Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post

I'm sure many guys like long hair, but it's far from being universal, and for the sake of argument let's say a majority of men like long hair, that still leaves a sizable minority (I would estimate) who like short hair, could go either long or short, or have no preference. To say that ALL guys like long hair, always, is silly.

I think you're onto something with the hip-to-waist ratio, and this can be present with women who are "overweight" (think many plus-sized models) but if they have an hourglass figure, they can be relatively bigger but still very attractive to many men. And I'd say that even women with less curves are still with a lot of appeal—one of my friends in no way had an hourglass figure, but she was tall and slender, few curves, and she always had guys chasing after her. (Later she came out of the closet, LOL! )
My BF is like that. Very thin, very fit, no breasts, and she just doesn't have a waist. Still, she's beautiful and men have always chased her.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:15 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
LOL on the long hair. I'd read (in Cosmopolitan) way back in my 20s that if a woman isn't particularly attractive, she should wear her hair long, because at least she'll have that asset that a man finds attractive. I had thick, wavy hair, which was definitely OUT when I was growing up in the 70s (only straight hair, long and parted in the middle was acceptable back then) and I spent forever setting it to make it straight and later using blowdryers to straighten it when they came along. It took so much work to keep my long hair presentable.

Finally in my forties I started to cut it shoulder-length, but I felt as though I was doing something terrible that I shouldn't because women like me were SUPPOSED to keep their hair long...right? That damn Cosmo article stuck in my head for DECADES! Then in my fifties, I cut it short, and all these people started complimenting on how great my hair looked short. In the end, short or long, it didn't matter much either way as far as men went, but short is SO much easier to take care of! I say wear your hair the way you want.

The hip-to-waist ratio thing is biological. It has to do with a perceived ability to bear children, whether or not a man realizes that's why it attracts him.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The hip-to-waist ratio thing is biological. It has to do with a perceived ability to bear children, whether or not a man realizes that's why it attracts him.
True, and I had a male friend that was 98 years old tell me that men particularly liked heavy women back in his day because they could bare more children for the farm. That is so, NOT ME! What those poor women went through....

Old 06-28-2014, 04:30 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
True, and I had a male friend that was 98 years old tell me that men particularly liked heavy women back in his day because they could bare more children for the farm. That is so, NOT ME! What those poor women went through....
C'mon, spew out those future farmhands!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 PM

79 posts, read 119,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

If a young woman wants to weigh 400 and have nine cats, it's her right but there is probably something wrong with her.
Yeah, like maybe she was molested or abused as a child, or both, and told she was no good because she learned to eat to protect herself from men who couldn't keep their paws off a child......do you know the percentage of people who were molested as children who end up with eating disorders or alcohol/drug problems? The psychological ramifications of abuse are lifelong.

Oh, and for your information, it's not that there is something wrong with HER. It's the something wrong with the adult male who couldn't keep it in his pants that we should be concerned about. He's the one who wrecked her self-image and made her hate who and what she was.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 PM

79 posts, read 119,194 times
Quote:

What you believe is only relevant to you.
The only main stay is hip to waist ratio and health.
And, along that vein, there are plenty of men who prefer Reubenesque women, who have (in my husband's terms) something to hold on to during love-making, and not a bunch of bones sticking out. He doesn't want plastic anything....no fake boobs, no face lifts, no Botox....much preferring natural aging to fake youth. He has issues with today's society that seems to think young and thin is all that, forgetting that age and wisdom is also very important, and that having some extra weight can come in pretty good in the case of an illness that leaves one unable to eat. I worked oncology for several years and believe me, a pudgy man or woman came out better after chemo with its accompanying loss of appetite than did a thin person who had no fat reserves. Some of them looked like concentration camp survivors after a course or two of chemo.

This is a lot like some other topics....for every 50 people discussing the subject, you will have at least 51 opinions and they will all be different. Every set of eyes sees differently, every ear hears differently, and every nose interprets odors (perfume, soap, goodness knows what else) differently. I can't tell you the number of men I had to walk away from who wanted to talk to me who actually, to my over-sensitive nose, reeked of cheep after shave or stinky cologne. People, if someone further away than 4" can smell what you've been marinating in, you've got it on too thick!!! I'd far rather have an average looking (or even a little less than that) man who works hard, plays hard, stays away from excessive booze/smoking/partying, and is honest than a man who might be what others see as good looking who can't keep a job, who lies, who drinks too much, and who is arrogant. My husband isn't Sean Connery but he has a heart of gold and that weighs more for me than all the looks and money in the world.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
WOW, the U.S. one made her look butt-ugly, and she's a VERY cute girl!!! And what's up with India and those eyebrows? lol

Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
WOW, the U.S. one made her look butt-ugly, and she's a VERY cute girl!!! And what's up with India and those eyebrows? lol
The US one in particular made her look plastic. It just goes to show how unreal these standards are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology