Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Okay. May I ask what things you changed?
I am wondering if he starting the whole "Pickup Artist" (or PUA) thing. You know where you act like a complete douchebag and treat women like s--t in hopes of attracting a woman who is just as shallow and insecure as you are.

I don't have the most positive view of PUA. They do make some good points like how standing out is one of the most important factors and not letting yourself get eaten up by rejection, but a lot of their other points like "anything less than a 7 is not worth your time" or insulting women to find the insecure ones reek of misogyny (an accusation I rarely make).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Okay. May I ask what things you changed?

I grew a pair. I stopped caring whether or not they liked me and approached them with conceited confidence. Simple as that. I didn't act mean or nice, just nonchalant and it worked after a few dozen rejections.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I am wondering if he starting the whole "Pickup Artist" (or PUA) thing. You know where you act like a complete douchebag and treat women like s--t in hopes of attracting a woman who is just as shallow and insecure as you are.

I don't have the most positive view of PUA. They do make some good points like how standing out is one of the most important factors and not letting yourself get eaten up by rejection, but a lot of their other points like "anything less than a 7 is not worth your time" or insulting women to find the insecure ones reek of misogyny (an accusation I rarely make).

I never read a "pick up artist book" and have no interest in "sevens or better"...well, my taste is different, so a ten for me may be a one for someone else.

Going after a "7 or better" is actually pretty good advice when you consider men have such varied taste that one man's 7 is another man's one. I have yet to see a woman who considers short, scrawny men 10s but we've all met men who consider larger women 10s (chubby chasers) or older women 10s (milf hunters)

Old 07-04-2014, 02:21 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I never read a "pick up artist book" and have no interest in "sevens or better"...well, my taste is different, so a ten for me may be a one for someone else.

Going after a "7 or better" is actually pretty good advice when you consider men have such varied taste that one man's 7 is another man's one. I have yet to see a woman who considers short, scrawny men 10s but we've all met men who consider larger women 10s (chubby chasers) or older women 10s (milf hunters)

I've never read a PUA book either, but the PUAs I have meet and my exposure to them on the internet just strikes me as a bunch of men who are terribly insecure and/or narcissistic sociopaths who view a woman's value entirely on whether or not she will have sex with him. To a PUA a woman is basically an elaborate masturbation device and your self-esteem should be based on how many different ones you have used to masturbate with.

I also agree that a rating is entirely subjective and obviously if you are going for a fling or one-night stand, you're going to try to get the most attractive or fun as possible. I consider a 5 to be the threshold of what I find physically attractive (like the type of girl where you say, if she was a bit more attractive she would be quite good looking or if she was a bit less attractive she would be ugly) and 10 to be physical perfection or near physical perfection. Obviously, with alcohol or drug use the scale slides a bit and 5 could become a 7 and a 7 can become a 10.

But I find PUAs are douchebags even in that regard. "Dude, she isn't built like a swimsuit model and you like her? What are you? A Beta Male?"

Oh, and I didn't mean to accuse you off being one of those insufferable t--ts. I was just curious because that is how a lot of them start off talking.

"I used to be a nice guy, but then I realized my biggest mistake was treating women with respect and now I am an arrogant c--k who gets laid all the time by focusing on women with self-esteem issues that rival my own. First thing, I gotta 'Peacock'. What does the Alpha Peacock do? He shows off his bright feathers and then bangs all the lady Peacock things because he's Alpha. That's what I do, bro. I get my rhinestone covered hat, my gold rimmed sunglasses, my brightly colored jacket with fur trimming and striped shirt, my tight pants with the padded crotch, and cover myself head to toe with Axe body spray (the most Alpha of body sprays). By the time I am done I look like if Liberace liked p---y. But I don't like p---y. I LOVE p---y. Because I am Alpha with a capital 'A'. I go down to the bar and I start spitting my game. I don't pretend to care what women have to say about themselves. I always tell my f--k buddies that if your mouth is open there better be a dick in it. I also insult them to let them know that I am an Alpha male who can do much better. Granted, 99% of the women I come across think that I am a complete dips--t and want nothing to do with me, but there is that one percent with incredibly bad taste love bad boys, pimps, and Ted Bundy. That's where I get my p---y. I get it because I am Alpha."

Old 07-04-2014, 02:58 AM

600 posts, read 825,246 times
Well, I am more than halfway through Elliot Rodger's manifesto. It appears to be what I suspected prior to reading it, and it is the trauma from the divorce of his parents. He does not go into much specific detail, but my guess was that after the divorce, the role of his biological mother was probably absent, and it appears to carry itself well into his teens. I am not finished yet, but up until he graduates highschool, the social issues continue to keep becoming worse. It's very tragic, because reading the manifesto, it appears that there were many instances that he has ongoing social interaction issues since he was about 7 until he graduates highschool. He is changed in and out of several schools, for percieved social reasons, and becomes more secluded with World of Warcraft and does not venture outside his comfort zone.

It's disappointing, because at this age he is still very young, and the role of the parents should be to look after the development of their children. Maybe they were not aggressive enough as it continued to get worse, but the parents cannot say "they didn't see this coming".

I think that the parents should also have been more forceful in having Elliot engage in social interactions. I know myself I am introverted and very quiet. It was not until I got out of my comfort zone (which I had to force myself) that I started having a better quality social life.

The same thing was with women. I remember I had this HUUUUUGE crush on this girl named Maria and this was only a few years ago. I still remember when I tried to talk to her my voice was trembling and shaking so much that I was stuttering and my heartrate literally skyrocketed. I asked for her number and we went out on a date and she never called again b/c I was just too weird at the time. It's hard to believe I was that socially bad and that was just in 2011 when I was 27. I remember thinking to myself at that point, "This will never solve itself and it is destroying my life so I really need to address it." I used to kick around saying I was "too busy" to be social or whatever, but it was really b/c I had anxiety even thinking about talking to women. I kept forcing myself to approach and it wasn't until about 8 months before I saw any improvement. That's a long time to keep hacking it out.

I will say this though. I have taken on several challenges in my life:

1. Lost 80lbs of fat
2. Completed MBA at 25 while working full time
3. Competitive Cycling
4. Competitive Powerlifting
5. Climbing 500 floors on the stairmaster in 1 hr.

Approaching women and being "comfortable" with it has been the hardest thing I have ever accomplished in my life and I don't have any problem admitting it. To start so far behind and to get caught up to speed has been nothing short of an over the top effort. Literally everything else was a cakewalk. Even the weight loss,...no big deal. That by far is the hardest challenge I have ever dealt with in my entire life, so I know just how hard it is. Now that I am past that point, it is by far, the most rewarding experience as well. I pretty much have no constraint and have the freedom to go after whatever I want. I even was hitting on an employee at a hotel while her manager was standing right next to her listening the whole time. No problem. Nothing for me is off limit except "work".

The anger seems to have appeared when Elliot hit highschool and just continued to keep getting worse. Anger is very interesting. It is more 'offensive' as opposed to depression or sadness which is defensive and leave the person feeling vulnerable. It seems to also have an 'empowering effect' too. You are not really vulnerable at this point, because with that emotion, you are on the "offense" now.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 AM

290 posts, read 366,829 times
This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
I immediately envision a little boy on a playground, pulling a girl's pigtails, stomping his foot and shouting that boys are better than girls (and/or "girls have cooties") [...]

Quote:
Ever read the girl blogs? It's the same thing: "why can't I find that six ten, billionaire who is so suave?
Quote:
As opposed to the girl bloggers, who are so "grown up and mature"
Quote:
Actually it's more often women who care what their friends will think about their partners, not men. Women will often say "I like him so much, I don't care what my friends think!" Men, on the other hand, don't have to make those statements because they generally don't care what their friends think [...]

Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gibson's Pants View Post
So women choosing safer, lower paying jobs is a choice, too then, right?
Largely, yes.

Quote:
You can't have it both ways.
Have what?

Quote:
how is mental illness, the number 1 factor in homelessness, a choice exactly?
That is not something that can be blamed on feminism and it's a minority of men you are speaking of. White male privilege is about the population, not a minority.

Quote:
Are you sure you're a Democrat feminist? You're sure making a lot of arguments that counter that philosophy.
I never claimed a political affiliation. You are assuming again.

Quote:
Or is it only men that are held to that standard?

The hypocrisy is pretty hard to stomach.
I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Don't be. Relationships are much better in your 20's and 30's than in the early years.
Ya but I'm worried I'm gonna miss out on the rest of my 20's

Old 07-04-2014, 12:17 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I've never read a PUA book either, but the PUAs I have meet and my exposure to them on the internet just strikes me as a bunch of men who are terribly insecure and/or narcissistic sociopaths who view a woman's value entirely on whether or not she will have sex with him. To a PUA a woman is basically an elaborate masturbation device and your self-esteem should be based on how many different ones you have used to masturbate with.

"Granted, 99% of the women I come across think that I am a complete dips--t and want nothing to do with me, but there is that one percent with incredibly bad taste love bad boys, pimps, and Ted Bundy. That's where I get my p---y. I get it because I am Alpha."
I think you pretty much nailed it.

The thing I take away from these guys is that they write these theories about how "all" women are, but in reality it's just the portion of women, more likely the women they pick out to interact with. A shallow, vain, empty-headed, or broken women might play certain games, might hop from guy to guy, might fall for their tricks, but plenty of other women wouldn't.

These men will feel like a "success" with women, because they've been able to exploit the weaknesses of some, or attract women who are as silly and as shallow as they are. Some guys may decide later on that they want someone "better," someone with a head on their shoulders, someone not so shallow, but will then discover that they can't find them—or they'll claim that they don't exist. (No, they exist, they just won't have anything to do with these guys.)

You can't attract someone with a higher character when you yourself don't have that quality. Others on this thread have asked, "What do these guys bring to the table?" and that's an excellent question. These guys have a terrible attitude—you read the blogs—they think women are stupid, designed by nature to be submissive, shouldn't be educated, should be domineered and "guided" by men ("overlords") and what decent woman will put up with that? You could be the most conservatively-raised and old-fashioned woman in the world and you would know better than to tolerate that. It's about stripping your humanity away from you, and allowing it to be done by someone who is ignorant, arrogant, simple-minded, emotionally stunted . . . no one who is emotionally healthy wants that.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:55 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
That blog is an EXCELLENT example of my basic philosophy when it comes to the "manosphere." When I read a blog like Chateau Hartiste, I immediately envision a little boy on a playground, pulling a girl's pigtails, stomping his foot and shouting that boys are better than girls (and/or "girls have cooties"), and trying to win over the most popular boy in the class by waving around a new toy Daddy bought for him.

These morons can dress it up however they want to, but at the end of the day, the one thing separating them from the first graders they never stopped being at heart is a somewhat larger vocabulary.

Very true, very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology