Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
And that's basically what I was saying.

Look, if you've done something to warrant your success, you can take pride in it all you want. If you're a Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Oprah, or whatever celebrity you want to name, be proud of what you did.

Elliot wasn't successful in his own right, though. His dad was famous because of what his dad did. Both his mom and step-mom were famous, because of what they themselves did.

All Elliot did was sit around and say, "look at me." If he had learned a skill, maybe he would have made something of himself, and the girls would have followed, but he was too damn lazy.
He was obviously mentally ill, so calling him lazy seems a stretch. Nobody here was inside the guy's head, so at best we can only speculate as to what was going on in his mind.

And how do you know that all he did was sit around and say 'look at me'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
...at best we can only speculate as to what was going on in his mind.
And hope we can prevent more of this in the future.

"According to the 2002 Secret Service report, mass shootings are not sudden, impulsive acts. They occur with planning that is known to at least one other person in more than 80 per cent of cases. This means that there’s time to reach out – not to a murderer, loser or weirdo; but to someone’s son, student, classmate and neighbour." What explains mass shootings in the US?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
^ ^ Good point re: the national "culture". Although even with stepped up mental health, watching for 'warning signs', etc., some psychos are still gonna "slip thru the cracks". And if they decide to make a 'statement' by killing lotsa people, then guns will continue to provide an easily accessible, affordable, and extremely "efficient" way to accomplish that! Of course the willingness of some to just "accept" that state of affairs as simply the "cost of freedom", is another piece of that 'culture'.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 PM

12 posts, read 17,482 times
I did not realize Elliot Rodger was hapa (i.e., half-white, half-Asian) until very recently. Go check out the sub-Reddit for hapas. The male hapas there (those who specifically have white dads and Asian moms) are filled with self-hatred, intense hatred for their Asian half and for their parents. Reading through their posts was eye-opening. I had suspected those self-identified hapa men were trolls. Then I read about Elliot Rodger was a hapa just like them, so it finally made sense.

I think the problem could be their Asian moms, who had self-hatred and racial identity issues to begin with. Many Asian women worship whites, want to be with white men and want to be white themselves. That's why you see so many Asian women relentlessly pursue and make themselves available for white men. Growing up with those Asian moms, listening to their constant negative talks about Asians and Asian men, must have been traumatic for those hapa kids' self-esteem.

If Elliot Rodger had a mental sickness, then based on what I've seen in Reddit, he was not unique among male offspring of white male-Asian female unions.

Last edited by ktchong; 05-08-2015 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 12:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I wonder if Eliot Rodgers had an extreme form of the personality disorder known as narcissism.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I found myself down the rabbit hole with this thread yesterday. I have just done a little online research about Rodger today.

He had a diagnosis of Asoerger’s as a child. But plenty of people do not accept that diagnosis. Most popular diagnosis is Narcissism with possibly schizoid components, because he attributed personal motives to others’ actions who did not know him.

Possibly there is no knowing. His parents tried to get him help, but he was prone to fear and panic attacks. To me, he sounds like he was an overgrown, demanding child with no way of understanding the world or other people.

It might be that his parents did not know how to parent him.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktchong View Post
I did not realize Elliot Rodger was hapa (i.e., half-white, half-Asian) until very recently. Go check out the sub-Reddit for hapas. The male hapas there (those who specifically have white dads and Asian moms) are filled with self-hatred, intense hatred for their Asian half and for their parents. Reading through their posts was eye-opening. I had suspected those self-identified hapa men were trolls. Then I read about Elliot Rodger was a hapa just like them, so it finally made sense.

I think the problem could be their Asian moms, who had self-hatred and racial identity issues to begin with. Many Asian women worship whites, want to be with white men and want to be white themselves. That's why you see so many Asian women relentlessly pursue and make themselves available for white men. Growing up with those Asian moms, listening to their constant negative talks about Asians and Asian men, must have been traumatic for those hapa kids' self-esteem.

If Elliot Rodger had a mental sickness, then based on what I've seen in Reddit, he was not unique among male offspring of white male-Asian female unions.
There was an Asian man (Chinese, I believe) who wrote something that was printed in a major women's magazine a few years back, complaining that although he wanted to date outside of his race, that he felt women don't find Asian men sexy or appealing. If I can find it online, I'll post the link here.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamblyn21 View Post
Nope.I disagree.

It is a complete and total outlandish fallacy that ANYONE can get Laid.
Well, unless they wanted to work really, really hard at finding someone who would take them.

It's easier for some than others.

If a woman wants sex, she can usually get it. If a man wants sex, he usually has to work at getting it.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There was an Asian man (Chinese, I believe) who wrote something that was printed in a major women's magazine a few years back, complaining that although he wanted to date outside of his race, that he felt women don't find Asian men sexy or appealing. If I can find it online, I'll post the link here.
Odd that what's good for the gander is not good for the goose.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:58 AM

722 posts, read 429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
You say 'to-may-toe', I say 'to-mah-toe'. Yes, all of the people I listed had/have mental issues, but the collective consequence is widespread mass violence. And, though I probably don't need to point this out, it has grown more and more common over the past fifteen years. (The Columbine massacre was in 1999.)

And THAT's what makes it a societal problem. The "government" is deadlocked over one contributory issue -- gun legislation -- when it ought to be looking at the far larger picture.

Now, to ensure that I give you credit, YES its a mental health issue. My point is that it is NOT on the individual level, but on the system-wide level.
that widespread mass violence has grown more common is taken out of context. Why do you only take a look at the past fifteen years? Why don't you compare it to the middle ages?

Humanity is slowly but surely going forward and evolving empathy. More and more people start understanding that we need to change something in order for the future to become even better and safer.

Gun legislation is not just a random contributory issue.
it is very important to make it hard to own a gun. Can you mass murder with a knife?

What is the difference between America and Europe? Why don't we have mass shootings on the same level as America? find our differences as far as gun ownership and overall safety mentality and you have found your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology