Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It probably comes from them being raised by women instead of men. I remember being surprised that the girl's locker room at my high school had private showers. Women have a really screwed up body image.
So is the automatic reflex for some men to blame women if anything goes wrong? What about a bit of personal responsibility?

Adults, including men, have choices. Honestly, an adult should not wait around for mommy to say something is okay.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,510 times
Glad it's not just at my gym.

My son (he's grown) and I work out at the same gym and these older guys (mainly seniors with skin hanging in places where they shouldn't be) will just walk around naked. They'd shave naked, brush their teeth, and even engage you in conversation.

I'm no prude, but I shower, wrap the towel around my waist, then remove the towel when I begin to dress.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
If younger guys are so "private", why do many of them walk around with their pants falling down?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
This is a family forum and I took great care to keep it PG. Not only would that be taken down as soon as I put it up, but it would be creepy to know guys like you were using my picture for God knows what.
It was a joke. If you're actually that uncomfortable, you shouldn't have brought it up.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 40,036 times
We were born naked and then quickly covered with a blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Never visit Europe - lots and lots of naked people in locker rooms and shared showers.

It makes more sense as the overly prude people who go fully dressed in the shower stall, close the curtain, undress and hang the clothes over the curtain area and shower. I always wonder how they can get back in their dirty clothes and also, don't these clothes get wet from showering??

We were born naked, nothing wrong with it.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 PM

267 posts, read 311,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
why do many of them walk around with their pants falling down?
I don't understand why they do it, but do you know that fad originated in prisons? I don't know if this part is true, but I have been told it actually got started by homosexuals in prison - they kept their pants sagging like that to attract other guys and to let them know they were both available and interested.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
I don't understand why they do it, but do you know that fad originated in prisons? I don't know if this part is true, but I have been told it actually got started by homosexuals in prison - they kept their pants sagging like that to attract other guys and to let them know they were both available and interested.
I've also heard that the "trend" started in the prison system, but according to my sources, whom I believe to be sufficiently "close to the street". the trousers started sagging when the prisoners had to hand over their belts, supposedly as a precaution against suicide. That left a certain portion of the posterior anatomy more visible, and since the wearers didn't have too much respect for "society" to begin with, the rest of the world could now kiss the parts in question.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:17 PM

398 posts, read 470,758 times
This is why I don't like locker rooms. I'm a very private person, and I don't like to be naked around other people.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
When I go to the gym, I come in my workout clothes, do my workout, then go home to shower, where all my potions and hair tools are. I can do that because I don't have anywhere I need to be after. But I walk around naked for half an hour or so to "air dry" before putting on my clothes. Maybe that is what they are doing?

Seems more natural and comfy to me than rubbing down with a much-washed, overbleached, rough-pilled gym towel that has lost all its absorbancy.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Is it going to take another 50 years before straight guys see a locker room with gay and straight as 'a safe place'?

Lord, I hope not.

And is this connected to the behaviour that straight guys accept from each other, towards women? Do you think of men as predators? Do you worry that a man who prefers men will be a predator towards men?

Maybe if you change that, you will feel safe around gay men.
BINGO!
And why all straight men think all gay guys fancy them?
Gay guys have discriminating taste.

In my gym, there are some time old people who just running around naked in the locker room. I just dismiss them. It is not a pretty side, I admit. But I can always look away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology