Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,554,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yes, you did.
Considering you also surmised that she was black out drunk, and that someone implied somewhere that one is "entitled to sexually assault" a drunk person, I'm going to advise you to work on your reading skills.

She "somehow gets roofied or something", according to the story. She doesn't know what happened. My response was that if she was roofied, yes, I'd say it was rape. Because there is no other reason to spike someone's drink unless they want to take advantage of them. The intent is clear. Do you understand now? That does not in any way imply that it is only rape if she was roofied. That's just silly.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Yeah, well, the "offender" in this case is the negligent woman!
Victim blaming. Right here.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
You are picking some very odd fights. I really can't figure out what the problem is (well except that last guy).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,474,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many men give women drinks in bars. I even know of a woman who met a man for coffee at Starbuck's, he put something in her drink there, then got her into his car and took her to a hotel room. She doesn't remember any of that, past meeting him for coffee. Men who do this are the lowest of low.
Yes. People who do that are disgusting, but people should have the common sense not to be too trusting of strangers. I mean, I'm male and I've still been told, mostly by women in my family (mom, aunts) since I was a teenager, to always be wary of my drinks, whether I'm at a party or a club. There's disgusting and despicable people out there and they might seem nice or normal at the surface. Anyone can be the victim of rape or be taken advantage of, women, men, regardless of appearance, and offenders can fit any description as well.

There's products out there that help you detect date rape drugs. You sprinkle something in a drink and if it shows a certain colour, it might be spiked. Either way, everyone needs to be careful.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You are picking some very odd fights. I really can't figure out what the problem is (well except that last guy).
What is odd that everything that has been suggested here is victim blaming....

https://www.rainn.org/safety-prevention

...while terms like "asking for it" and "stupid" and "offender", in these depraved attempts to characterize the above as victim blaming, is acceptable on any level. It's sickening.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
What is odd that everything that has been suggested here is victim blaming....

https://www.rainn.org/safety-prevention

...while terms like "asking for it" and "stupid" and "offender", in these depraved attempts to characterize the above as victim blaming, is acceptable on any level. It's sickening.

Beside a few posters, I'm not seeing what you are, and certainly not with those you are arguing with.

Were you a victim? I won't ask without disclosing, I was minorly molested as a child (no penetration) and survived an attempted rape by someone I knew (I was beaten, but escaped).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Don't presume to know me...you never will...
I ask only that women be safe, and suggest ways that they can.

You prefer to keep your head in the sand, and blame all men for your problems...that's your folly...you can't get past your anger at men to see the whole REAL picture.
We can never be safe. There is nothing and no set of rules we can follow to be safe from the 92% of sexual assaults that come from men we know at work or in family or social circles, etc.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You got that wrong...I would never say that to ANY woman after she's been raped. You might be that cruel, but not me.

I DO insist that they be aware and have a safe ride planned to get home.
You need to try responding to posts without the hostility that you have for anyone who just wants a women safe.
In the OP's post the woman WAS doing something dangerous.....that being drunk, and then going alone to the home of a complete stranger. That (in case you don't know) IS dangerous....believe it or not!
Per the stats, not as dangerous as hanging around men we know. And be real, usually a woman going home with a man she has just met at a bar or what have you is going to have sex, so everyone is happy already.

The OP posts a weird example to use. In real life, it is men one already knows who know already we do not want to have sex with them that drug us so we will.

Bill Cosby, for instance, did not pick up random women in bars to do this to. It was women he knew. Who knew him. To get women he knew did not want to have sex with him to do so.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
"...While the perpetrator is solely guilty for the assault, the woman in this case did things of her own volition that dramatically increased her risk.."

I agree that a perpetrator is solely guilty for any assault but I think women need to be more careful about what they do and try to avoid risky situations. For instance, the women who went to a certain Hollywood producer's HOTEL ROOM. Why? What did they think was going to happen there? Jogging in parks in the dark--? Going into questionable bars by yourself late at night. One night stands with strangers. Driving to secluded areas to buy things from strangers. Leaving doors unlocked and blinds up at night. The list goes on.

I'm actually appalled that anyone disagrees with the idea that women should bear some responsibility. I don't know if it's a generational thing or not, to not want to accept any responsibility and to assume that you can do anything you want, skip along through meadows of flowers like a child and life will sail right on with no repercussions or consequences. Only a fool thinks this way.
What time should our curfew be?

Blinds up, really? Mine are up far enough for the pets to use, is this an invitation to be raped? Oh, and my back door is open too. I want this thing called fresh air. The lock on the screen door is not much of a deterrent.

What if my back door was closed? Maybe then I'd be at fault for not having the place secured like a bank? Will you be lobbying for funds for all women to hide in their vaults?

Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The law states if you were not in a condition to give consent then it was assault.

I have a problem with this though. In the case of example the OP gave, she didn't know what happened. Me? I would go for I made a big mistake that night, and not rape. It is a fine line though.
Really? Wouldn't it be important to get a rape kit? STD testing, plan B pill in case of pregnancy..........and if discovered that you had been the victim of non-consensual sex, and poisoned by a drug you did not willingly take, you'd 'blow that off'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology