Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:16 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
https://qz.com/1113287/boys-arent-le...-consequences/

These young men need to learn that dealing with rejection is part of what it means to be a man. Sure, women deal with rejection too but the way our social structure is set up, its the men who do the asking, so...
Plenty of women ask and put themselves out there. Rejection is just part of life and something we face at various points in life, and we need to have the emotional and mental awareness and maturity to deal with it.

I've had many men get upset when I declined their advances or offer to meetup. Not only did a lot of these men not accept the "no," they took it as an attempt to just try harder, because persistence is key, apparently. It goes back to the whole "play hard to get" nonsense that not everyone buys into. I didn't play games and act coy. If I was interested, they'd know it, and if not, I said as much.

Telling someone to die in a fire because they decline an invitation to go on a date is more than a bit much. Going all fatal attraction is just not a mindful way to handle rejection, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 09:18 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,252,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I'll take it one farther

Boys aren't learning to deal with emotion.
Which isn't compatible with a highly emotional society.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Young people in general are being shielded from the reality of life through too much helicopter parenting and "we don't keep score" and everyone gets a trophy mentality. It's all horsecrap. Life sucks, sometimes you lose and you have to be taught that you have to learn to accept failure, rejection and all of the other things that life throws our way. We're doing our kids a disservice the last generation or two in this regard.

Fall, lose, get rejected, whatever it is, we need to teach our kids to get up, realize that it's ok to fail or whatever but to get back into the saddle of life and be ok with failure in that regard. It's not the end of the world to have hurt feelings once in a while and that no one in life gives a flying you know what about your feelings in the big wide world.
You do realize this isn't a young people thing, right? I've had grown men, in their upper 30s and 40s, before the days of the tedious diatribes of helicopter parenting and participation trophies, act like first-rate douchebags because they get turned down.

Trying to make this into a generational thing just doesn't work.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:26 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
Quote:
Young people in general are being shielded from the reality of life through too much helicopter parenting and "we don't keep score" and everyone gets a trophy mentality. It's all horsecrap. Life sucks, sometimes you lose and you have to be taught that you have to learn to accept failure, rejection and all of the other things that life throws our way. We're doing our kids a disservice the last generation or two in this regard.

Fall, lose, get rejected, whatever it is, we need to teach our kids to get up, realize that it's ok to fail or whatever but to get back into the saddle of life and be ok with failure in that regard. It's not the end of the world to have hurt feelings once in a while and that no one in life gives a flying you know what about your feelings in the big wide world.
^This^

Old 10-28-2017, 09:33 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
You do realize this isn't a young people thing, right? I've had grown men, in their upper 30s and 40s, before the days of the tedious diatribes of helicopter parenting and participation trophies, act like first-rate douchebags because they get turned down.

Trying to make this into a generational thing just doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
^This^
Funny to see the black and white contrast of opinions here.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:46 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
Quote:
Funny to see the black and white contrast of opinions here.
Yeah, Lol.

I do strongly believe its parenting failure, whether the person is 20 or 85.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,931,734 times
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

In 2015-2016, the best goal scorer in the NHL scored 50 goals. It took him 398 shots to score 50 goals, and those were just the shots that either hit the goalie or the back of the net. That's not even counting the attempted shots, which were blocked, or hit the glass or that just missed the net completely. So he scored 50 goals, and the goaltender's still SAVED 348 of his shots that year. If you count attempted shots, he scored 50 out of 691 times that he shot the puck. He only scored a goal on 1 out of every 8-ish shots on goal. And he's the best in the league at scoring goals, and he still has only scored a goal on 12.4 percent of his career shots on goal. And then last year, he had a bad year for his standards. Only score 33 goals on 313 shots on goal and 582 shots attempted.

I always use this analogy with rejection. Even the best, they get rejected and sometimes they get rejected A LOT.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yeah, Lol.

I do strongly believe its parenting failure, whether the person is 20 or 85.
I agree, bozos exist at all ages. The difference is with today is just look at college campuses across the nation. Freedom of speech is under attack. Safe spaces and micro-aggression accusations all over the place. People can't handle differing opinions without causing so much distress. This stuff is much newer. This lack of civivilty stems from being somewhat isolated from the discomfort of dealings with things that make us uncomfortable. All of this would appear to circle back to some over protection on some level.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 PM

524 posts, read 522,564 times
The problem is there are too many fatherless homes headed by single mothers. Boys are too emotional because they take their emotional/behavioral cues from women. Whatever happened to the Big Brother, Big Sister programs? Those programs were life savers for my brothers and I after our father passed when we were kids.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:58 AM

818 posts, read 457,251 times
Neither are girls , there just as many threads in any forum with girls moaning as there are with boys. Actually maybe more from what l've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology