Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times

Advertisements

Long story short: I have autism, and apparently from time to time in certain messageboards I tend to get accused of trolling. I try telling people I have an obnoxious attitude because of all the social problems I face as an autistic dude. When I reveal people my autism, they either actually give me higher expectations or

B. Just think I am not worth respect.

I have no idea what else to do...

I am not trying to excuse and justify some of my obnoxious behavior, rather than try to have people understand I have communication problems... I have no idea what to do.

Anyone other autistic people have the same problem too? Best advice?

Thanks in advance.

But really this goes for both messageboards and in real life.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Long story short: I have autism, and apparently from time to time in certain messageboards I tend to get accused of trolling. I try telling people I have an obnoxious attitude because of all the social problems I face as an autistic dude. When I reveal people my autism, they either actually give me higher expectations or

I am not trying to excuse and justify some of my obnoxious behavior, rather than try to have people understand I have communication problems... I have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Can you think of another word beside autistic that would be accurate.
That's the solution.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Can you think of another word beside autistic that would be accurate.
That's the solution.
No idea

Old 03-22-2018, 09:48 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Real life is different from Citi-Data.com. Citi-Data.com is a place people go to in order to vent and/or to tell other people they're wrong. Unless you're intentionally trying to agree with everyone else here, or you're avoiding controversial topics, people are probably going to be snappy to you, and I don't believe there's much you can do to change that. I'd leave the website if it's bothering you a lot.

I sometimes make common sense statements, or simple, amusing statements. Other times I'll spend an hour or more on a single post. The posts I've spent an hour or more on almost always get more snappy comments and fewer likes than some poorly thought out catchy phrase I posted on a whim.

You might be able to reduce the number of people who think you're a troll by having your posts be grammatically correct as possible and making sure your statements are clear as possible and make as much sense as possible...maybe. I've glanced at a few of your posts and a few of your threads. I didn't notice much that was particularly bad about them. You communicate more clearly than several non-autistic people on this website.

In this recent post you made, I would have changed this: Anyone other autistic people have the same problem too? Best advice

To "Do any other autistic people, or anyone else, have the same problem too? Best advice?"

I don't know what your weaknesses and strengths are in real life, so I won't comment on how to improve social skills in real life.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Real life is different from Citi-Data.com. Citi-Data.com is a place people go to in order to vent and/or to tell other people they're wrong. Unless you're intentionally trying to agree with everyone else here, or you're avoiding controversial topics, people are probably going to be snappy to you, and I don't believe there's much you can do to change that. I'd leave the website if it's bothering you a lot.

I sometimes make common sense statements, or simple, amusing statements. Other times I'll spend an hour or more on a single post. The posts I've spent an hour or more on almost always get more snappy comments and fewer likes than some poorly thought out catchy phrase I posted on a whim.

You might be able to reduce the number of people who think you're a troll by having your posts be grammatically correct as possible and making sure your statements are clear as possible and make as much sense as possible...maybe. I've glanced at a few of your posts and a few of your threads. I didn't notice much that was particularly bad about them. You communicate more clearly than several non-autistic people on this website.

In this recent post you made, I would have changed this: Anyone other autistic people have the same problem too? Best advice

To "Do any other autistic people, or anyone else, have the same problem too? Best advice?"

I don't know what your weaknesses and strengths are in real life, so I won't comment on how to improve social skills in real life.
That's ok

Exactly, I have sometimes big trouble with making expressing myself clearly.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Citi-Data.com is a place people go to in order to vent and/or to tell other people they're wrong.
OMG, you're right. Hadn't thought of it like that. Brilliant!

I picked up like six or seven snarky responses this morning and instead of defending myself, I just ignored them. (I'm not supposed to bicker.). Much better. Funny how verbal challenges can raise the blood pressure and negatively affect mood.

I've taught music to a number of people with autism over the years. It's very wide spectrum; some do very well and others, no success at all. If you preseverate, that's good for musicians. One beautiful little girl could not process language and I got nowhere. Another little boy was violent and I had to discontinue lessons. But if you're sensitive, Clintone is right; maybe you should find some other activity to do. Piano lessons? There are a lot of really disturbed people online.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
OMG, you're right. Hadn't thought of it like that. Brilliant!

I picked up like six or seven snarky responses this morning and instead of defending myself, I just ignored them. (I'm not supposed to bicker.). Much better. Funny how verbal challenges can raise the blood pressure and negatively affect mood.

I've taught music to a number of people with autism over the years. It's very wide spectrum; some do very well and others, no success at all. If you preseverate, that's good for musicians. One beautiful little girl could not process language and I got nowhere. Another little boy was violent and I had to discontinue lessons. But if you're sensitive, Clintone is right; maybe you should find some other activity to do. Piano lessons? There are a lot of really disturbed people online.
Nice post,

Is not that I get disturbed easily. Rather that I get persecuted very easily and that's it, people don't want to like help me through. And is funny cause it seems the more overly autistic a person is, the more assistance he or she seems to get.

But I agree is a very diverse spectrum. Just like the LGBT.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
Quote:
Nice post,

Is not that I get disturbed easily. Rather that I get persecuted very easily and that's it, people don't want to like help me through. And is funny cause it seems the more overly autistic a person is, the more assistance he or she seems to get.

But I agree is a very diverse spectrum. Just like the LGBT.
Yeah, a good number of people will show no concern--if you're disabled, elderly, sick, unusually senitive, in obvious pain, whatever. They don't care. I would like to think the ones who do have a high level of empathy balance it out, but I'm not sure about that.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, a good number of people will show no concern--if you're disabled, elderly, sick, unusually senitive, in obvious pain, whatever. They don't care. I would like to think the ones who do have a high level of empathy balance it out, but I'm not sure about that.
hahahaha I added in the incorrect emoticon

But yes, as much I don't want people(particularly SJWs) white knighting me, I still would love some help to get through my social life

I say my social life is getting worse and better at the same time.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

You must know about Wrong Planet, right? (I don't know if I'm allowed to post it as the URL or as a link.) Even there, misunderstandings can happen...because, well, autism... ...but you may get more overall understanding. And there are loads of subforums so you can address all sorts of different issues. I'm pretty sure they have a gigantic user base and posting happens all day long there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology