Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,192 times

Advertisements

I've found that in some general forums, people can tend to have an attitude about certain medical conditions. I have ADD and I'm kind of careful where I bring that up. Some don't even believe it really exists and have no empathy for those who have it. So I mainly talk about it in ADHD/ADD forums. Sometimes in other ones, if I think the forum people are pretty much educated about such things.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Long story short: I have autism, and apparently from time to time in certain messageboards I tend to get accused of trolling. I try telling people I have an obnoxious attitude because of all the social problems I face as an autistic dude. When I reveal people my autism, they either actually give me higher expectations or

B. Just think I am not worth respect.

I have no idea what else to do...

I am not trying to excuse and justify some of my obnoxious behavior, rather than try to have people understand I have communication problems... I have no idea what to do.

Anyone other autistic people have the same problem too? Best advice?

Thanks in advance.

But really this goes for both messageboards and in real life.
I tend to troll in the forums a lot. May be I am autistic too lol. ( I suspect it because there is no one way one could guess you are autistic, by your clear communication).

Based on science and big pharma, every one should have ADHD or be Depressed. You have to move on. I have SSD and faced scenarios like you have faced, but we have to train ourselves and improve ourselves . Its difficult, but still doable.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Long story short: I have autism, and apparently from time to time in certain messageboards I tend to get accused of trolling. I try telling people I have an obnoxious attitude because of all the social problems I face as an autistic dude. When I reveal people my autism, they either actually give me higher expectations or

I am not trying to excuse and justify some of my obnoxious behavior, rather than try to have people understand I have communication problems... I have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance.

You're also like 17 or something, right? Thought I recalled reading that in one of your other posts.

Personally, I like your posts...you seem like a thoughtful guy. You've got my respect, friend

Old 03-22-2018, 07:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth, you identified two separate, unrelated problems: your obnoxious attitude and communication problems.

Whatever communication issues you have does not automatically translate into having an obnoxious attitude or behavior. You are choosing your attitude and your behavior. Autism doesn't make one obnoxious. You can't use autism as an excuse.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Even non-autistic members here get falsely accused and/or in trouble for so called trolling.

If you stay highly active on here long enough, you are bound to tick some mod or member (or both) off. Just realize it's normal, and some sort of sanction/restriction inevitable. Well, unless you are one of those rare birds who get along with, and agrees with, everyone.

How much does your autism leak through in your responses, OP? I know virtually nothing about the diagnosis, so please enlighten/educate me.
Assuming you mean how much does autism seem to get in my posts, honestly I don't know. But it probably appears too often then regarding how I am sometimes perceived.

As for my autism, I say some symptoms have gotten worse or more noticeable, while some others are more controllable or perhaps even disappeared.

I would also recommend being careful with saying something like "curing the disorder" because of today's PC/SJW atmosphere. Funny how using the word "autistic" as an insult is bad, but ok to refer to bad or disgusting people as pigs or other animal names. Now I sometimes do it myself too. But I am just pointing the ridiculousness of political correctness.

Plus, how could SJWs actually get offended by someone using the word "autistic" to insult someone who isn't at least autistic when hardly do we get spoken on? Goes to show the hypocrites they are.

And GOD Lord we can probably see SJWs starting the autism tirade next, claiming that neurotypicals are evil and deserve to die and ****. Actually is funny because people are more tolerable of the overly autistic than they are of black people or gays or transgenders. But of course again there are ableist(or mentalist if we are talking neurology) jerks out there. Actually it can be seen as the more mildly autistic you are, the less respect and help you are to get as an autistic. Probably a vague observation but who cares.

Perhaps is time the autism spectrum and LGBT cooperate too.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
For what it's worth, you identified two separate, unrelated problems: your obnoxious attitude and communication problems.
Not sure I'm buying those are unrelated. This if we assume he actually is obnoxious--I haven't seen evidence of it personally

Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Not sure I'm buying those are unrelated. This if we assume he actually is obnoxious--I haven't seen evidence of it personally
Eh, you have to see me in certain situations for it to happen both in the real world and in messageboards.

I use and devleoped my obnoxious attitude kind of a way to empower myself, is kind of a submissive backlash to all the bullying and rejection I dealt with. Think for example how crime rates in the black community rose after slavery.

Again, I can no longer distinguish clearly those who just get annoyed easily from the bullies and haters. This is how I have it, and thus having it gotten harder to not use it as a crouch.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:56 PM

If your primary concern is receiving better treatment from those you interact with online (and/or in the real world), then worrying so much about the perceived foibles of 'SJWs' is probably the wrong point of emphasis. 'Their hearts are in the right place', or whatever; point is, I'm fairly certain that they're not the ones causing you grief. Personally that term is pretty meaningless to me anyway, as I'm not exactly sure what makes one qualify as an 'SJW' rather than just say a decent person, but I guess that's up to those who insist on using the term to determine.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
If your primary concern is receiving better treatment from those you interact with online (and/or in the real world), then worrying so much about the perceived foibles of 'SJWs' is probably the wrong point of emphasis. 'Their hearts are in the right place', or whatever; point is, I'm fairly certain that they're not the ones causing you grief. Personally that term is pretty meaningless to me anyway, as I'm not exactly sure what makes one qualify as an 'SJW' rather than just say a decent person, but I guess that's up to those who insist on using the term to determine.
SJWs are those more who literally white knight the **** out of powerless groups and probably don’t shut up about them 24/7.

Here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

But see? This right here is almost a great example of my obnoxious attitude in action, almost.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
I use and devleoped my obnoxious attitude kind of a way to empower myself, is kind of a submissive backlash to all the bullying and rejection I dealt with. Think for example how crime rates in the black community rose after slavery.
Not at all related unless you've been subject to systemic racism. Even then, crime is always a choice.

Being obnoxious is not empowering. You're actually creating the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology