Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

So is this why you have a fear of posting in internet forums?

Because every time you attack people, and stick them into groups to attack and swear at those groups, they get mad?

Those of us who know many, many autistic people know the difference between social awkwarness/difficulty in picking up cues, and lashing out. I believe you know the difference too. I think you know why people lash out at you on forums.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-26-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 11:58 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
You're not the main person in this topic though, so I don't know what you're babbling about.

Well then, I want advice on how to make my opinions more appropriate and expressable then. Could you give me the best word of advice on that? If not, how do I engage more in current and important topics more?
Regarding paragraph 2: Don't do what you did in paragraph 1.

If you are so aware of your obnoxiousness, regardless of any "disability" – you could try making more of an effort to combat your own obnoxious behavior.

Especially in print where if you don't automatically hit the reply button, you might take time to back over your impetuous retort and edit yourself.

Zoisite hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Maybe the OP should write his messages, but then wait ten minutes before posting - re-reading them first to see if they still make sense and are not obnoxious.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So is this why you have a fear of posting in internet forums?

Because every time you attack people, and stick them into groups to attack and swear at those groups, they get mad?

Those of us who know many, many autistic people know the difference between social awkwarness/difficulty in picking up cues, and lashing out. I believe you know the difference too. I think you know why people lash out at you on forums.
Because is still a very common human tendency to generalize.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Maybe the OP should write his messages, but then wait ten minutes before posting - re-reading them first to see if they still make sense and are not obnoxious.
This is a really great idea, actually.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Sure.

Do you have a specific question? I'll respond to it if I see it.
Ok then, here comes...

I have classes with literally both neurotypical and special ed peers. And in classes with a combination of both people, I noticed the talk time privilege and double standard is quite outstanding. Us special ed even when talking maturely and quitely, we are given an annoyance alert. Neurotypical peers can talk about the most inappropriate of topics for 20+ minutes and get away with it. So tell me, what explains this? Is a common phenomenal I obverseved over the years.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Ok then, here comes...

I have classes with literally both neurotypical and special ed peers. And in classes with a combination of both people, I noticed the talk time privilege and double standard is quite outstanding. Us special ed even when talking maturely and quitely, we are given an annoyance alert. Neurotypical peers can talk about the most inappropriate of topics for 20+ minutes and get away with it. So tell me, what explains this? Is a common phenomenal I obverseved over the years.
Who was giving you the annoyance alert?

Let me be totally honest, I have NEVER been in any class where any student was allowed to talk for 20 minutes even as a response to a question or class discussion. Are you entirely sure of this timing? That's almost a third of the class. Any of my teachers would have cut off such a diatribe literally after a couple of minutes.

In just regular conversation I also have never heard an NT speak for 20 minutes uninterrupted. That is a speech, not a conversation. Even two uninterrupted minutes, without a reply, one's own input, etc., is considered long.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:32 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Ok then, here comes...

An annoyance alert by whom? How is it expressed? You say that this is in a class, so what do the teachers say when you bring it up?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
An annoyance alert by whom? How is it expressed? You say that this is in a class, so what do the teachers say when you bring it up?
Just by the NT peers themselves. The teachers dont even do their jobs anymore. So I don't think they give a ****.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who was giving you the annoyance alert?

Let me be totally honest, I have NEVER been in any class where any student was allowed to talk for 20 minutes even as a response to a question or class discussion. Are you entirely sure of this timing? That's almost a third of the class. Any of my teachers would have cut off such a diatribe literally after a couple of minutes.

In just regular conversation I also have never heard an NT speak for 20 minutes uninterrupted. That is a speech, not a conversation. Even two uninterrupted minutes, without a reply, one's own input, etc., is considered long.
Will refer to my last post and it should explain it a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology