Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Could be.

I will try to tread lightly here, as I know this is not the place to discuss politics, but P&OC is the only other place that I have seen your posts, and a lot of them seem to be pretty hostile.

Just in this thread, you have mentioned SJWs and the LGBT community, and I have seen you ask why more attention is given to gay and transgender rights than to the rights of those with autism. That may be true and it may not, but either way, it doesn't make those folks your enemies, and when you appear to attack them, yeah, you will get blowback.

Again, that is the only other place I have seen you post, but I strongly suspect that the harsh comments you have received have nothing to do with anyone hating on you because of your autism. It's probably the last thing on their minds.

I want to say I am sorry you feel this way, and if someone actually has attacked you over your autism, I'd like to kick their butt, but that might make me one of those dreaded white knights. So I will simply leave you with this thought to chew on: online or off, most of the time what you give is what you get.

Now I feel like a complete jerk.
Don’t, you’re not trying to hurt me or anything.

Besides most bullying I dealt with was during 4th grade particularly, but still to this day people reject from social circles for my autism. Hell I noticed quite some double standards too regarding inappropriate or weird behaviors in the case of neurotypicals vs autistic people.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Don’t, you’re not trying to hurt me or anything.

Besides most bullying I dealt with was during 4th grade particularly, but still to this day people reject from social circles for my autism. Hell I noticed quite some double standards too regarding inappropriate or weird behaviors in the case of neurotypicals vs autistic people.
Can you tell more about that? I mean, most people don't know, when they have just met someone, if they are on the spectrum or not.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Can you tell more about that? I mean, most people don't know, when they have just met someone, if they are on the spectrum or not.

Like I think some people can easily figure out I have autism just by a bit of speech mis-arrangements and some know I been in special ed before.

Some just reject me though because I have bad physique still or just low self esteem too.

You can’t always tell the motive. So I just been trying to step my game up in the social world.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 PM

Mod cut.

Thanks everyone, I really owe everyone a big thank you. I been only getting more vocal about autism too considering it’s the perfect time given the way social issues are shaping up in this country. [snip]

We should all try to help, tolerate and respect all people.

[snip]

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-26-2018 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Off-topic remarks.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Real life is different from Citi-Data.com. Citi-Data.com is a place people go to in order to vent and/or to tell other people they're wrong. Unless you're intentionally trying to agree with everyone else here, or you're avoiding controversial topics, people are probably going to be snappy to you, and I don't believe there's much you can do to change that. I'd leave the website if it's bothering you a lot.

I sometimes make common sense statements, or simple, amusing statements. Other times I'll spend an hour or more on a single post. The posts I've spent an hour or more on almost always get more snappy comments and fewer likes than some poorly thought out catchy phrase I posted on a whim.

You might be able to reduce the number of people who think you're a troll by having your posts be grammatically correct as possible and making sure your statements are clear as possible and make as much sense as possible...maybe. I've glanced at a few of your posts and a few of your threads. I didn't notice much that was particularly bad about them. You communicate more clearly than several non-autistic people on this website.

In this recent post you made, I would have changed this: Anyone other autistic people have the same problem too? Best advice

To "Do any other autistic people, or anyone else, have the same problem too? Best advice?"

I don't know what your weaknesses and strengths are in real life, so I won't comment on how to improve social skills in real life.
Some people are having personal problems and then come here and snap at people. If it happens to me I ignore them and stop responding to them. I only get rude when someone is rude to me but overall most people are nice and that's why I'm still here lol.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 PM

Oh man I really hope this thread doesn't die yet

BTW to prove I still still deal with ableist *******s, here's one comment I just recently got in my "world history" class

"Wait you're autistic, right? Yeah, you're not worth my time sorry kiddo, now listen and stop speaking retarded, you're not worth giving a **** about"

Is this one girl I kind of have a conflict with

And even then my speech/communication problems are not as bad as some people want to make them out to be.

As for how I responded back to her, I would have flicked her back and even yelled "**** you", but trouble is not worth it. That said even the teacher can't stand it, is an applied class.

I am conflicting with half of that class so to speak really.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So if I went "**** you ***** you're not worth my time you assbag, go hike or something" you would flame back?
It hasn't gotten that far with a poster but yeah I'd be pretty upset if someone lashed out at me like that.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Forums can be a good outlet for some people with autism, because the mode of communicating suits their strengths. It's less ambiguous and fraught with social subtleties in some ways than face-to-face communication, it allows people to avoid things that often pose sensory or other problems for them (like sustained eye contact, reading nonverbal cues, etc.).

But you do have to pick and choose your forums. Ones that are deliberately set up for people with communication issues might be good ones to start with and increase your comfortability in a less threatening setting, then, when you have more confidence, move on to more general forums. The cold, hard fact is, people aren't always nice, or kind, or understanding, and large, relatively unregulated forums can be really good illustrations of the fact that there are a lot of dickish people out there.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:49 PM

Well then thank you everyone for the cheerful and heart warming responses

I am already working my way out the special ed program so I mean there is that

Again, being autistic is not the only reason why I have my social struggles. Bad physique and me having a weird social character sometimes, but however all the bullying from start is what led to my bad physique and low self esteem in the first place. I say though I changed in a lot of ways. I workout more than ever and I feel more solitary than a rock too. The only time I will ever get overly aggressive is if someone is threatening me although I usually rather run away or if someone is harassing me.

In the meantime I better try to practice more self defense techniques and whatnot.

However, I am trying to be careful with myself and not buy into the victim mentality, which technically speaking I had for awhile. I feel a lot of the social engineering that is happening is what led me into buying it. But thankfully I am already ditching it for good.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,994 times
Message boards are filled with bullies and self-righteous people. Some people like to argue, and argue, and argue, until their face turns blue. Others will try their best to belittle you in order for them to prove a point. (and sometimes, I am no different)

There are some subforums that I won't allow myself to enter because of the sheer disrespect I see on those forums. It makes me think that this bully mentality that goes on message boards, our kids are seeing this. We, as society, wonder why the youth are bullying other youths. But if you go on message boards, like citydata, you'll see the same snarky, disrespectful, and sometimes, hurtful comments are written here BY ADULTS.

OP: I'm sorry that you're going through this. It's unfortunate, however, this is human nature. We, as a whole, are not nice, and while we say that we are tolerant people, most people aren't. (my opinion) My best advice to you: Go where you are wanted. Go to the forums/threads where your opinions/expertise are welcomed. While I refuse to visit certain forums on city data, I am a frequent "visitor" of Arizona forums, California forums, and economics forums. I have something in common with these folks and these people are respectful towards me and others. (for the most part) My opinion is welcomed and I learn alot by visiting these forums. There are A LOT of message boards out there, just choose a couple that you feel comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology