Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not at all related unless you've been subject to systemic racism. Even then, crime is always a choice.

Being obnoxious is not empowering. You're actually creating the opposite.
Not obnoxious then, hard.

I mean sometimes I have gotten discriminated from school clubs too for being autistic, so.... I mean there is some systemic ableism right there if you want more.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM

5,492 posts, read 3,934,268 times
So you'd rather not have them as an ally, even as they could be relied upon to defend you given your autism? I just think you're picking the wrong target here to be so scornful of these people. Personally, I like people who stand up for 'the powerless' or the weak. My problem with online SJW-types is if it's all just a show made for social media--I want real-life SJWs, not online poseurs. I've made fun of people in the past for say changing their FB profile pics to a French flag background after the Charlie Hebdo massacre (or the Eagles of Death Metal one, which had far more casualties) because I doubt the sincerity of such acts *given who I know the person to be otherwise*. These people are conventional, self-centered people...now all of a sudden they care about the grieving French people? Yeah, ok. Call me cynical, but I tend to have a hard time buying those symbolic gestures from the average person (my friends/'friends' definitely included). But if it's a random anonymous Internet commenter promoting pacifism and racial harmony and economic equality and the like...even if I doubt the world is being changed in any significant way by their saying such things, I'm going to attempt to stifle my cynical impulses and perhaps even support them for saying what they're saying. Now, if I somehow had a way to find out that their rhetoric was completely empty, that they did nothing offline to match their behavior online, then, yeah, I'm going to call them on the hypocrisy. But given no other information, I obviously can't do that.

Edit to say I forgot to quote--this was obviously in response to post #31

Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
So you'd rather not have them as an ally, even as they could be relied upon to defend you given your autism? I just think you're picking the wrong target here to be so scornful of these people. Personally, I like people who stand up for 'the powerless' or the weak. My problem with online SJW-types is if it's all just a show made for social media--I want real-life SJWs, not online poseurs. I've made fun of people in the past for say changing their FB profile pics to a French flag background after the Charlie Hebdo massacre (or the Eagles of Death Metal one, which had far more casualties) because I doubt the sincerity of such acts *given who I know the person to be otherwise*. These people are conventional, self-centered people...now all of a sudden they care about the grieving French people? Yeah, ok. Call me cynical, but I tend to have a hard time buying those symbolic gestures from the average person (my friends/'friends' definitely included). But if it's a random anonymous Internet commenter promoting pacifism and racial harmony and economic equality and the like...even if I doubt the world is being changed in any significant way by their saying such things, I'm going to attempt to stifle my cynical impulses and perhaps even support them for saying what they're saying. Now, if I somehow had a way to find out that their rhetoric was completely empty, that they did nothing offline to match their behavior online, then, yeah, I'm going to call them on the hypocrisy. But given no other information, I obviously can't do that.

Edit to say I forgot to quote--this was obviously in response to post #31
There we go, see?

I want real social justice activists, not the obnoxious whiny ass tumblr ones.

So while they decide using autism even as a joke is offensive, they don’t even speak on the bullying the people have to go through.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Thread is going very well I must say.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Edit...I don't really know how to put any of this. OP, you REALLY need to talk to people who are actually going through this. Other people can't necessarily understand. That's just reality.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 PM

5,492 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
There we go, see?

I want real social justice activists, not the obnoxious whiny ass tumblr ones.

So while they decide using autism even as a joke is offensive, they don’t even speak on the bullying the people have to go through.
alright, cool, now that it's been clarified, I'm with you

Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Not obnoxious then, hard.

I mean sometimes I have gotten discriminated from school clubs too for being autistic, so.... I mean there is some systemic ableism right there if you want more.
There were school clubs. Were you prevented from joining? Was there an official " no autistics allowed" policy? I'm sure you've been treated poorly by other people but your response is always a choice.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
SJWs are those more who literally white knight the **** out of powerless groups and probably don’t shut up about them 24/7.

Here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

But see? This right here is almost a great example of my obnoxious attitude in action, almost.

Could be.

I will try to tread lightly here, as I know this is not the place to discuss politics, but P&OC is the only other place that I have seen your posts, and a lot of them seem to be pretty hostile.

Just in this thread, you have mentioned SJWs and the LGBT community, and I have seen you ask why more attention is given to gay and transgender rights than to the rights of those with autism. That may be true and it may not, but either way, it doesn't make those folks your enemies, and when you appear to attack them, yeah, you will get blowback.

Again, that is the only other place I have seen you post, but I strongly suspect that the harsh comments you have received have nothing to do with anyone hating on you because of your autism. It's probably the last thing on their minds.

I want to say I am sorry you feel this way, and if someone actually has attacked you over your autism, I'd like to kick their butt, but that might make me one of those dreaded white knights. So I will simply leave you with this thought to chew on: online or off, most of the time what you give is what you get.

Now I feel like a complete jerk.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There were school clubs. Were you prevented from joining? Was there an official " no autistics allowed" policy? I'm sure you've been treated poorly by other people but your response is always a choice.
Who knows, might probably have to do with the academic performance ****. But still funny enough they would rather let in a bully over an autistic person.

Like I was literally denied my entry for just being autistic.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I don't blame you for your fears. Forums can be kind of high-schoolish, or cliquish. I joined a different forum a while back on gardening and the regulars didn't appreciate me giving new people advice, since I was new, even if my advice was educated. There can be a hierarchy of power among the long-time posters, even if they know much less than you lol.

And people can be more harsh on forums and quick to lash out or report new people for supposed slights, etc.

It's probably not you, is my point, any more than other people. What I suggest is trying different forums - even on city-data. Some different topic forums are more forgiving than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology