Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:38 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Forums can be a good outlet for some people with autism, because the mode of communicating suits their strengths. It's less ambiguous and fraught with social subtleties in some ways than face-to-face communication, it allows people to avoid things that often pose sensory or other problems for them (like sustained eye contact, reading nonverbal cues, etc.).

But you do have to pick and choose your forums. Ones that are deliberately set up for people with communication issues might be good ones to start with and increase your comfortability in a less threatening setting, then, when you have more confidence, move on to more general forums. The cold, hard fact is, people aren't always nice, or kind, or understanding, and large, relatively unregulated forums can be really good illustrations of the fact that there are a lot of dickish people out there.
And the OP's usage of terms like "SJW" implies that he's been hanging out in some of the more hostile, red-pill-y corners of reddit and tumblr where polite conversation is seen as weak. There are probably online forums that are great outlets for folks on the autism spectrum or who have social anxiety to safely connect with people and to build confidence and interpersonal skills, but others can just plant ugly seeds of antagonism. That could be dangerous for someone without a lot of social experience in the real world.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-24-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I'm sorry Luciano. It must be very difficult for you to navigate both in social media and in real life. The only advice I can give you is to think about what you're trying to convey and proof read your posts and think about it one more time before you post. Everyone has some difficulty conveying thoughts in print, and there are going to be times when someone still doesn't understand what you're trying to say.

If you're still having difficulty then do what you did with this thread and explain that you have a hard time sometimes because of your autism. Nice people will understand.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Sincerity test gets an F-minus for Failed.

OP, I don't believe you want any helpful advice about joining and posting on forums. I think you were just looking for another venue to sound off and argue about inappropriate topics that you're obsessed with. I believe you are using autism as your excuse to post in the psychology forum where helpful, sympathetic people may be tolerant for a longer period of time than other forums are before losing patience with your arguments and attention seeking. I think you should be going for proper counseling instead of posting useless complaints and criticisms online.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:41 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sincerity test gets an F-minus for Failed.

OP, I don't believe you want any helpful advice about joining and posting on forums. I think you were just looking for another venue to sound off and argue about inappropriate topics that you're obsessed with. I believe you are using autism as your excuse to post in the psychology forum where helpful, sympathetic people may be tolerant for a longer period of time than other forums are before losing patience with your arguments and attention seeking. I think you should be going for proper counseling instead of posting useless complaints and criticisms online.

You're not the main person in this topic though, so I don't know what you're babbling about.

Well then, I want advice on how to make my opinions more appropriate and expressable then. Could you give me the best word of advice on that? If not, how do I engage more in current and important topics more?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:51 PM

I will be waiting.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBreesGo View Post
If you're having trouble getting into a relationship or have a cognitive impairment, you should not rely on a bunch of a strangers for advice and support. Instead, you should see a therapist or a coach. Message boards are places for debate or providing advice to people in a relationship or close to a relationship. If you are struggling with anxiety or autism, you should see a counselor who has the time and expertise to help you. At best, the people here can point you in the right direction or provide some advice regarding a specific situation like what to do on the first date. However, you should see a professional to assist you to help you with your social skills and confidence.

Getting arguments with strangers in the Internet will only create more trauma. A lot of people are shy and stifled due to the trauma of being punished for expressing themselves. How can you flirt with a woman if you're afraid that she is going to cuss you or lecture you like the argumentative people on the Internet? I also don't know why people are referring the OP to autism boards. It's the blind leading the blind. I don't see any therapists or coaches on those boards. I also don't how you are supposed to get the support you need when you have people chewing you out.

With that said, you can excuse hostile behavior from people on the Internet if they gave you great advice. I shake my head that one person provided links to another website shaming the OP and another person started an account to cuss the OP out. Let's see those guys wing the OP.

A lot of message boards suffer from the problem with the blind leading the blind. Relationship boards attract people who struggle with relationships. People who are successful with relationships are too busy with their partners to worry about helping strangers for free or debating trolls on the Internet. I decided to post on this thread because I have the experience of a moderator in another relationship board abusing her power to protect a troll due to unknown reasons. The admin of the board did not care that people who posted on the board who were going through difficult times didn't need to be attacked by mean people on the Internet.
I kinda agree. Therapy should be something to try first. Personally I already see a therapist and I still struggle with the same issues.
This is why I roam around on the internet hoping for the perfect solution because therapy just doesn't work for me. However you don't know until you try it.
Life coaching would probably be ideal or something like that but don't have the money. I asked someone that was evaluating my mom about myself too. She mentioned a case manager, tried to get it going but is having trouble finding volunteers. Nobody wants to help for free.
I'm told by my therapist before that the state does not have many programs for us. This is the biggest issue. We're too "high functioning" for any accessible programs.
If you can't tell my mom is in a similar boat. She sees a therapist but is still having trouble with reducing her clutter. Because she can do the basic things by herself (like showering washing dishes etc) they can't get someone better than who she has already.
I was going to call this place up for her but am eerie on spending much money. At the current moment a lot of my paycheck goes into her car payments (and sometimes food which makes me mad because I hate that we can't pay off the car. It literally depresses me about having to worry about it every month when it's something that can be paid off if we can only afford it.)

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-26-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 04:41 PM

173 posts, read 111,546 times
OP-(Luciano700), with your own posting guidelines there may following happen:
a/ nobody replies- which makes you happy because nobody disagrees with you, but, also makes you not happy because you are inviting for disagreements (I know this behaviour well, since I gave birth to one and have some in me as well)
b/ people reply in disagreement which makes you happy-because, the disagreements are what you are pushing for
c/ rare people agree with you, which makes you happy that you finally got some approval (but it will provoke sudden burst of dissatisfaction in you because you are not used to anyone to share/agree with your views)
d/ you decide to stop posting [(and start living more productive and fulfilled life)] on C-D. and on any other site where you are a member, and everybody is happy because people will not keep "attacking" you (you happy) and people will not be provoked into "attacking" you (forum posters happy)
Therapy is not going to help you, because you will not agree with anything that psychotherapist would try. You have certain "interests" only and no other individuals can tickle your brain into something different.
(OCD is possible on your list, usually not satisfactory treatable).
Your behaviour is not unknown, we have one on the top of the New World Order that acts exactly like that. His tweeting amuses the Globe daily.
The best way to solve all the bugs in your brain wiring would be the military training. That training leaves no room for your own opinion. Amazing how powerful the military instructors are. I give them all the credits, if for nothing else then for "changing the World". You know what I mean- they change people and places.
And again, don't be so proud and think that you are unique, many more are just like you. Me included. Wish I agree more with those around me. Maybe, oh well, maybe, one day...

Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
You're not the main person in this topic though, so I don't know what you're babbling about.

Well then, I want advice on how to make my opinions more appropriate and expressable then. Could you give me the best word of advice on that? If not, how do I engage more in current and important topics more?
*Don't talk about politics in the psychology forum.

*Don't mention that you hate vaguely defined groups of people such as Christian fundamentalists, SJW's, and feminists. Yeah, I know they do that constantly on the politics forum. That's just because most people there like to vent about how horrible the half of the 300 million people that is not their "team" is rather than engaging in productive dialogue. If your goal is to instigate endless pointless bickering...communicate exactly like people in the politics forum usually communicate.

I do it sometimes too...but there generally is no purpose

Old 03-24-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
*Don't talk about politics in the psychology forum.

*Don't mention that you hate vaguely defined groups of people such as Christian fundamentalists, SJW's, and feminists. Yeah, I know they do that constantly on the politics forum. That's just because most people there like to vent about how horrible the half of the 300 million people that is not their "team" is rather than engaging in productive dialogue. If your goal is to instigate endless pointless bickering...communicate exactly like people in the politics forum usually communicate.

I do it sometimes too...but there generally is no purpose

Can I ask a question then regarding the social privileges and benefits neurotypical people can experience?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Can I ask a question then regarding the social privileges and benefits neurotypical people can experience?
Sure.

Do you have a specific question? I'll respond to it if I see it.

Last edited by Clintone; 03-24-2018 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology