Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Swinger and/or insecure. See this all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Insecurity.
Insecurity is the most likely outcome, but there's a smaller chance that they swing. However, if they were swingers, it's not all that difficult to find other swingers. Every city has a swingers club and there are swinging communities online. Why would you mention to random other guys that your wife is hot, especially when that other guy isn't a known swinger?

If that guy is insecure, the insecurity will manifest itself in the primary relationship, and the woman will lose attraction. When the woman loses attraction, she'll find another male. An in shape 55 year old woman will have no shortage of male options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Once there was a guy who kept telling me how great his wife looked and he wanted me to come over for dinner and meet her. There were danger signs lighting-up about that, for sure. As it turned out, they were finished with each other sexually and he was hoping I'd want to provide her some distraction, so he could be with this other woman. They had some financial entanglements and couldn't afford to separate or divorce or they would probably have lost their joint business enterprise. I avoided him after that and even quit going places where I might have run into him. No one but a fool would ever get into such a mix-up, with no good result in sight. But wouldn't you think the woman could have found a diversion by herself, without his help?
I agree. The woman probably could have found other options easily. Weird situation. You were wise to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:07 AM

264 posts, read 190,894 times
I am female and have a male friend that constantly tells me how great his sex life is. Completely out of the blue, he manages to fit it into the conversation any time we see each other. I never respond, I just continue with the conversation as if it never happened.

Considering I know how miserable he has been in his marriage over the years, I think he's just trying to convince himself it's true. They are in their 50s and he's been doing this more frequently the past 10 years or so.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:39 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Agreed that it's probably a touch of insecurity, or perhaps early onset Alzheimer's. "Yeah, you told me that already"

Have you met his wife? Maybe she is really hot but has some other glaring shortcoming. It's a bit odd that he would only mention this superficial aspect of her. Not sure she'd entirely appreciate that, but at least it's positive.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Major insecurity. Just yawn and say you’ve heard this already or steer clear of friends who are such a bore.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
LOL!

Its funny, when you are in a relationship for a few decades, it seems to me that on some level, you always look lovingly at the same person you first met. You don't realize an age change. Sure, its there, but its not what your mind's eye sees when you think about your love.

This!

When you see someone everyday, you don't see or notice time taking its toll. Your mate is the person who makes you smile.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
LOL!
Its funny, when you are in a relationship for a few decades, it seems to me that on some level, you always look lovingly at the same person you first met. You don't realize an age change. Sure, its there, but its not what your mind's eye sees when you think about your love.
So true.

I always think about this when I see those stories about high school sweethearts who fall back in love when they're 70 years and widowed, etc. Maybe it brings back a feeling of youth, because they can remember each other when they were young

Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
So I've got this acquaintance, he is maybe 9 years older than me, like mid 50's. Great guy, but every other conversation, he somehow manages to squeeze in some quip about how hot his was still is, or how good her body looks as she works out 2 hr a day. I really don't know how I am supposed to react to a statement like that.
It's strange because the only other guy I knew who used to talk like that was a Dbag.
My wife is pretty and all that too, but I don't throw that fact in to others on a regular basis.

What is this behavior called?
Leftovers from our patriarchal society. (Yes I used a buzzword)

A. Men have been judged to see their partners as status symbols like homes, cars and wealth. Especially for that age range.
B. Women’s value, at all ages, is still tied up in looks.

So it is no surprise an older man, who wants to prove he has succeeded in life, Braggs about his wife’s looks. That is the message we have been sending them for years. Ahem that is the basic premise of most sitcoms. (Cough, cough Modern Family)

Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
THIS is actually very common. Men feel that they get respect from other men by having the "hottest" woman.

Ah men will be men! Hot cars and beautiful women make our world go around. Just being honest

Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
So I've got this acquaintance, he is maybe 9 years older than me, like mid 50's. Great guy, but every other conversation, he somehow manages to squeeze in some quip about how hot his was still is, or how good her body looks as she works out 2 hr a day. I really don't know how I am supposed to react to a statement like that.
It's strange because the only other guy I knew who used to talk like that was a Dbag.
My wife is pretty and all that too, but I don't throw that fact in to others on a regular basis.

What is this behavior called?
He sounds immature, and like he has low self-esteem. Kind of like guys who display their rolex at every opportunity, and/or drive a shiny sports car to show off their "status".

Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I overheard my husband tell an old aquiantance of his about me. They were talking through headphones, playing WOW, and the two of them used to be business partners.

He was telling this guy that he had remarried. The other guy said something (I don't know) and my husband said "She's hot."

Whether I'm hot or not, it was nice that my husband thought so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology