Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:12 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
a lot of great insight. I did mention he isn't a d-bag. real nice guy aside from that aspect. I'm thinking he is extrinsic in what he values, not intrinsic. after thinking about it, he does let me know how much certain items cost. Nice vehicles, toys, kids education, salary.

lol, while those things are nice, I don't place a lot of stock in them. Jeans an T shirt person here.
IDK, if you're uncomfortable with it (or just tired of it), you could handle it either of two ways. Either simply tell him, "Yeah, Joe, you tell me that every time I see you. I get the message, thanks. I'm glad you're happy." Repeat as needed. OR you could say, "Why do you keep telling me this, every time we get together? Do you want me to have a go at her, or something? I'm not into that." That should work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 08:44 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
a lot of great insight. I did mention he isn't a d-bag. real nice guy aside from that aspect. I'm thinking he is extrinsic in what he values, not intrinsic. after thinking about it, he does let me know how much certain items cost. Nice vehicles, toys, kids education, salary.

lol, while those things are nice, I don't place a lot of stock in them. Jeans an T shirt person here.
Sounds like a d-bag, sorry. You don't have to be evil to be one, just douchey and that is what braggarts are.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
It's bragging, but there are plenty of very attractive 50 somethings.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:

He sounds materialistic and shallow. Could still be a nice guy, don't get me wrong. But he clearly values what people think about his possessions. Perhaps he sees his wife as a possession too

Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
So I've got this acquaintance, he is maybe 9 years older than me, like mid 50's. Great guy, but every other conversation, he somehow manages to squeeze in some quip about how hot his was still is, or how good her body looks as she works out 2 hr a day. I really don't know how I am supposed to react to a statement like that.
It's strange because the only other guy I knew who used to talk like that was a Dbag.
My wife is pretty and all that too, but I don't throw that fact in to others on a regular basis.

What is this behavior called?
Idiotic insecure a-hole.

Next question?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
If every other conversation this comes up, person has an issue.

If someone mentioned it once and it pisses you off, that's probably your issue not theirs. I like to see people happy as opposed to talking smack about their significant others. The latter bothers me a lot more, some guy going off on his wife being lazy/fat/dumb/shallow, etc.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:55 PM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
Pics or it didn't happen

Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM

131 posts, read 123,502 times
Quote:
So I've got this acquaintance, he is maybe 9 years older than me, like mid 50's. Great guy, but every other conversation, he somehow manages to squeeze in some quip about how hot his was still is, or how good her body looks as she works out 2 hr a day. I really don't know how I am supposed to react to a statement like that.
It's strange because the only other guy I knew who used to talk like that was a Dbag.
My wife is pretty and all that too, but I don't throw that fact in to others on a regular basis.

What is this behavior called?
Insecurity

Old 10-23-2018, 03:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I'd be sad - and surprised - if the only compliment my husband ever wanted to give me/tell others about was that he found me physically hot.

That doesn't last forever no matter how much you work out and avoid the sun, and what - I'm not a person without my boobs and abs? Kind of thought he was marrying me for more than that.

Now if it were ONE (very occasional, because anybody knows it's sort of an uncomfortable thing to say to a casual acquaintance - I mean what's the appropriate response?) comment leaning toward that effect, OR if it were "I think she's beautiful," and he also noted that I'm smart or take care of things or am creative or whatever, that would be different. It would make more sense and wouldn't seem so insecure.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:11 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
LOLZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology