Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 05:34 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It will be YOUR problem if a runaway cart damages your car.

I actually witnessed a few weeks ago a cart zooming downhill right toward my car as I stepped out of the grocery store, and a woman chasing the cart running VERY FAST after it and managed to grab it moments before it struck the broadside of my brand new car.

I ran up to her and said thank you so much and she said you're welcome, and that wasn't my cart, just saw it was going to hit your car.

Maybe someone will do the same for you someday. And chase after a cart someone like you has left because they don't care what affect their laziness/aggression has on other people?
I've seen people deliberately push their shopping carts hard enough to get them rolling-gets the cart far enough away from THEIR vehicle so they can pull out of their parking spots without having to worry about hitting it. They don't care where it goes, or even if it hits another car.

Happened to me in good old Miami one time. A young woman had finished unloading her cart, and looked around to see where she could leave or push it. Well, I saw her looking towards the direction where my car was parked, and that is where she decided to push it. As I saw what was happening, I yelled, "Noooooooo, don't push your cart into my car", and as the cart began rolling right on a trajectory to do just that, I kept yelling but she just ignored me. Fortunately I was able to grab the runaway cart before it hit my car. I really wanted to push that cart into her car as she passed by, without even looking it my direction, but I didn't. I took both that cart and my cart back to the cart corral.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:36 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't... but that is a false comparison. Typically those trash receptacles are mere steps from the table. While the cart receptacles are typically out of the way by quite a bit.

But if it was in anyway inconvenient for me I would not throw the trash out.

Riiiiight, because the trash fairy will be along sooner or later to pick up your trash.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:41 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Ah yes, the good old days. Surprising we ever went to self serve grocery stores considering one of their selling points was that 'every customer gets to be their own clerk'. Do you suppose people were standing around kvetching about having to do the clerks work 'for them' back then too? Raise your hand if you want to go back to handing your list to the clerk and then waiting around while they gather your items for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsd7U1l-1vY

Old 04-27-2019, 05:47 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So for those who refuse to bag their stuff because in the past grocery stores used to be more consistent with bagging, do you also refuse to unload your carts onto the conveyor belt because grocery stores used to do that (and Trader Joes still does)?

Do you just pull up your cart and then go to the pay area, expecting the clerk to somehow get the items out of your cart?
We don't have a choice in that matter. But there is nothing to make us do the store's work and return the carts for them. If you don't like it, the simple solution is to stop returning the carts yourselves. Then the cart corrals will go byby, customers will get more parking spaces, the stores will have to hire more employees to retrieve the carts, and everybody will be happy. Grocery prices will probably go up, but that will happen anyway. Because the stores are owned by greedy corporations.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:48 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
One of my pet peeves is pulling into a parking spot at Costco, Walmart, grocery store, etc. and seeing a shopping cart sitting in part of the space. At Costco, people leave their carts all over the parking lot. They will pop the front wheels over the curb or just leave them in the space next to their car. All the while, the cart return is just yards away from their spot. On more than one occasion I have seen individuals leave their cart in the spot next to them and have approached them. I'll usually say "are you just going to leave the cart there?" One woman told me that a loose cart hit her cart once, so her revenge is to just leave her cart. I'll usually point out where the cart return is and offer to return it for them. "The cart return is right there, I'll return it for you if its too far away."

I consider these people lazy, but is there some other reason why they would just leave a cart in the space next to them when the cart return is just a short distance away? They are above such tasks? It seems inconsiderate to me. I was always raised to have common courtesy, as most people are, but this habit seems to go against that belief.

This is a minor complaint, compared to how far away from the stores many people take the carts. Every place there's a bus stop within a quarter-mile of a store, will have numerous carts abandoned. Along bike paths, there will be many of them and even down trails into the woods where homeless camps are located, have carts that need to be located and hauled back to the stores. Whenever I see a cart off the beaten track, I write a note with its location and give it to the store where it belongs. Most of them have an employee with a pickup truck who makes the rounds and takes them back, which is an added expense paid by all customers.

The habit of misappropriating grocery carts, to carry purchases off the premises or just to not return them to their designated places in parking lots, is directly related to tossing litter and not having the decency to put it in a trash can. The people who do these things, were not raised to live as members of a functional society.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't care. But you guys keep confusing not returning the cart with inconveniencing others. In no way shape or form am I inconveniencing anyone but the store by not returning the cart. You can leave the cart along the lines or in the middle and people can still shop. You just want to use your false allegation to try to shame others who don't want to do what YOU want to do. Not gonna work.

Yes, you are. But I'm beginning to detect the sound of little goat feet crossing a bridge here.

In case that is not the case, you are inconveniencing people who cannot park because you left the cart in a place that blocked them entering the parking place without risking scratching their car or having to stop, get out, and move the cart (thus inconveniencing the people in the cars behind them as well). Even if you THINK you have put it out of the way, carts have wheels and wind or someone or someone's car bumping them gently can cause them to move.

You have inconvenienced the serfs (as you clearly regard them) who come out to bring in the carts from the corrals by making it necessary for them to track down the cart you left wherever you felt like and taking extra time. In many places, the same people bag groceries and retrieve carts, so by making them have to take that extra time because you're oh so special, you are inconveniencing people that need those same people to be bagging their groceries.

All in all, you're pretty much an inconvenience to the planet, near as I can tell. Unless, as I said, goat feet, bridge, in which case you're DEFINITELY an inconvenience to the planet.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Actually by default, the cashier sacks if she doesn't have a sacker.- been that way for years. Probably because the cashier should see the products again before they're bagged.

Anyway, just read a tabloid while you wait for ten minutes. If the customer writes a check, even better - you get to read another article. Tapping a watch, makes one look entitled and major impolite.

Or you could use a Self-check out lane but those can take longer because people like to bag their groceries the proper way.

Or just have your groceries delivered.
I have no problem bagging my stuff in the store cashier or not. I have no need for alternatives because the vast majority of people will just put their stuff in bags than vs let it pile up at the end.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I would rather be a lazy, narcissist, then a sheep doing free work for a billion dollar corporation.

You mean you'd rather be a lazy narcissistic sheep who thinks, along with the other sheep, that you're a daring rebel.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:02 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Seems that would be the easiest time to find one, without all the cars making it difficult to see where they are.
I can see them but prefer for safety to not walk too far away in a deserted lot.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:03 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
We don't have a choice in that matter. But there is nothing to make us do the store's work and return the carts for them. If you don't like it, the simple solution is to stop returning the carts yourselves. Then the cart corrals will go byby, customers will get more parking spaces, the stores will have to hire more employees to retrieve the carts, and everybody will be happy. Grocery prices will probably go up, but that will happen anyway. Because the stores are owned by greedy corporations.
Ahahahaha, wow. No. the more likely scenario is that carts are simply pulled from stores and customers will have to figure out their own method of gathering their groceries, those funny looking collapsible carts you can buy maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology